Outfox the Market reviews: add your feedback

Comments

• I switched last night to The Peoples Energy, more based on customer service than cost. However, when you look at what rip off OTM have done by increasing my DD by 75% even with a £200 credit I'm happy to do that. I also then took my proposed 6 and 6 direct debit amounts, added them together and then divided by 12 and they were £20 more per month than I am currently paying. It seems they have sneaked a monthly DD rise in there too. I will not stand around and be taken for granted by these clowns, it seems thousands also feel the same!
  • The Citizens Advice Bureau has advised me: "If your gas or electricity supplier increases its prices, they should tell you at least 30 days before the change takes place" whereas OtM have only given us 10 days' notice of this change so surely Ofgem could/should get involved?

My account is in credit with them to the tune of £200. On the phone OtM refused to use this to offset my new bill, increased by 75% from last month's, so I've instructed my bank to cancel my direct debit and I'm going to switch, possibly back to one of the Big 6. I'd rather pay a bit more to a reputable company than be robbed blind by a shambolic cowboy outfit like OtM have turned out to be.
  • thelight
    thelight Posts: 141 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    alittleowl wrote: »
    The Citizens Advice Bureau has advised me: "If your gas or electricity supplier increases its prices, they should tell you at least 30 days before the change takes place" whereas OtM have only given us 10 days' notice of this change so surely Ofgem could/should get involved?

My account is in credit with them to the tune of £200. On the phone OtM refused to use this to offset my new bill, increased by 75% from last month's, so I've instructed my bank to cancel my direct debit and I'm going to switch, possibly back to one of the Big 6. I'd rather pay a bit more to a reputable company than be robbed blind by a shambolic cowboy outfit like OtM have turned out to be.

Are the CAB not referring to unit price increases rather than changes in direct debit or predicted usage?
  • thelight wrote: »
    Are the CAB not referring to unit price increases rather than changes in direct debit or predicted usage?

Yes, unfortunately you're right, thank you for helping me clarify that: they have to give 10 days' notice of direct debit changes. In any case, I disagree with their calculations of my EAC which assume with no justification that I will use more energy in the next year than the last. Even if it wasn't Christmas next month I simply cannot afford the new December to April charge which they've invented. Like most people I'm on a fixed income and see the monthly DD as a way to spread the cost evenly throughout the year: build up some credit in the summer, use it up in the winter. I realise they're probably not the only company that is going to bring in these changes but would rather switch to one that isn't doing this at the moment
  • So I joined on the 12th Sept.

Since then:
    2 price increases for Gas and Elec
    1 price increase for standing charge
    Change Direct debit from £40pm to £70pm for 6 months and £30pm for 6months.

Based on last years unit usage my bill for OFTM was estimated to be £470pa when I joined.
    With the price increases my bill has gone up to £540 within 2 months of joining.
    Now with this increase in DD my bill is £600

So in 2 months I've had a 22% price increase and a lot of hassle.

And to sort it out they want me to contact them, sending pictures etc.

No, I can't be bothered with this. They've had my usage from last year, so there's no excuse to add another £60 onto the direct debit I'm assuming to cover further price increases.

I'm leaving. Even if I've got to pay a bit more it will be less hassle.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    alittleowl wrote: »
    Yes, unfortunately you're right, thank you for helping me clarify that: they have to give 10 days' notice of direct debit changes. In any case, I disagree with their calculations of my EAC which assume with no justification that I will use more energy in the next year than the last. Even if it wasn't Christmas next month I simply cannot afford the new December to April charge which they've invented. Like most people I'm on a fixed income and see the monthly DD as a way to spread the cost evenly throughout the year: build up some credit in the summer, use it up in the winter. I realise they're probably not the only company that is going to bring in these changes but would rather switch to one that isn't doing this at the moment

Late season switches invariably lead to high DD payments over the Winter months. Most small suppliers now ask for payment in advance of supply and enough money in the account to cover future charges. You might also have to wait 8 weeks for a refund from OFTM. Your variable tariff is now effectively fixed by Ofgem’s Default tariff that comes into force in January.
  • VoucherMan
    VoucherMan Posts: 2,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I hope some of these people leaving report back next year to let us know how they got on with their credit balances being refunded. I can't see these jokers being particularly helpful in handing back money, assuming they even last that long.
  • I have sent pictures of my meters to them, I really just want to see what they come back with. I don't really expect anything, and if it does change it'll just be an insignificant change. Had no response to my last email asking for an explanaton on the 25% EAC increase, which is what they are using asa basis for the massive DD increase.

I won't hold my breath, I guess they won't be getting many more new customers if they look at reviews and I'd imagine most would when switching to a practically unknow supplier to most.

I'll be checking small energy firms I switch to in future to make sure the diretors from here aren't involved, They are Keith and Maria Bastian. Info that's freely avaialble on companies house.

Looking at Keith's info, he's currently active in 15 companies! Most of those were appointed in 2018, all in director role. You can make up your own mind what may be at foot here and how it might be linked to this new policy.
  • There's fixed tarrifs for £10 more pa based on my usage or eon for £25 a year. I'll go for one of those. OFTM prices will go up again so I given they're a hassle to be with and the prices aren't worth staying for there's no point is being with them
  • I have started a switch away it will be interesting to know how many people have walked away from them
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback