50 something man seeking to save to retire before 60!

Comments

• crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hi LL,

I'm enjoying a weekend off, have the hens to clean out and of course it's Remembrance Day, have to get Mrs CRV up early so we can support the parade. The local War Memorial is at the bottom of our garden (well there is a fence between it and us) so we have to keep one of the dogs quiet as she barks at the parade every year! We can't of course do our usual trick of turning the jukebox up louder.

I'm going to start planting bulbs this afternoon- got a load of bluebells to put in.
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • [QUOTE=crv1963;75

Reading up on being an author- I firmly believe there is a good book in everyone, so thinking of spending some time looking at whether I could have a go at writing one.
    ![/QUOTE]

Yes, I'm sure that each and every one of us has a story to tell :).
    I've a number of retired friends who are apparently writing their memoirs. One in particular cut himself off from his family (for what reason, no one knows) and has decided to explain everything in his book. Not a book to be published (at least I don't think that's the plan), but essentially for his wife, children/grandchildren to read. All a bit odd, but I guess he has his reasons for keeping matters to himself :).
  • crv1963
    Yes, I'm sure that each and every one of us has a story to tell :).
    I've a number of retired friends who are apparently writing their memoirs. One in particular cut himself off from his family (for what reason, no one knows) and has decided to explain everything in his book. Not a book to be published (at least I don't think that's the plan), but essentially for his wife, children/grandchildren to read. All a bit odd, but I guess he has his reasons for keeping matters to himself :).

Nowt as queer as folk!
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Yes crv, life has got overly complicated, but it means lots of boxes can be ticked, so lots of a***s are covered because you know, the box was ticked.

There is definitely no book in me - I can write OK, but I'm as creative as a block of wood!

Relaxation, nope, no idea, but it's on the list to investigate:rotfl:

Spent the first part of this week explaining to my customer what they do. Not what I do, what they do. That is worrying.:(
  • crv1963
    Oh dear bugslet,

It gets to be something when you have to explain to the customer what it is that they do!

I feel your pain about ticking the boxes, I've found that there are so many that it actually interferes with the work delivery. It seems that you can't even do anything without it being written down. I agree with making the workplace safe but there is it seems little room for "personal judgement" these days.

Still now a full weekend off for me so I'm going to catch up on all the little jobs this weekend! Got an extra two dogs staying until tomorrow but they seem to have settled in okay. The Border Collie okay with them but I think a bit stressed so her sugar levels are running a little higher than normal, so I think we'll go for a walk this afternoon- just she and I.
  • bugslet
    I usually take mine separately, or at least the young big dog goes on her own with me, the two little ones go on their own shorter, slower walk.

It doesn't help that 11 year old Ruby has very stumpy legs for a mini schnauzer, being black, most people think she is a Scottie:rotfl:
  • bugslet wrote: »
    most people think she is a Scottie:rotfl:

Can't remember when I last saw a Scottie :). Remember being bitten by one though. My first girlfriend's mother had one and boy was it spoilt. Apparently it was always tetchy after a walk, and the day he took a chunk out of my wrist he had just returned from one lol.
  • Sounds like they should have kept the walks a little shorter :)
  • crv1963
    HI

Up way too early for my shift today! Had a good weekend off, rested a bit and pottered a bit.

Sorting- Spare room sorted finally looks like a bedroom, tidy until you open the wardrobe doors, but they can be cleared out one by one. Conservatory still tidy.

Have sorted out Christmas present lists for everyone else's gifts, so I know what I'm buying, even helped my sons with what they intend buying, trying to teach them that it is okay to buy modestly and not over stretch themselves.

Youngest son has decided he's coming to stay with us between Christmas and New Year, even though we're working some of the dates he's going to use the opportunity to relax and "maybe do a few 5k runs".

So I've decided that I'll have to put the tree up the weekend before Christmas, not sure what date we'll actually open our gifts, we're working 25-27, so early night for me 24th, maybe we'll open them 27th.

Spending Managed to stay in budget, mainly food, although I have had a trip down the pub and bought some raffle tickets for the local Christmas Charity Draw. £5 but it is to help the homeless and local foodbank.

Saving Other than sticking to the budget nothing to report I'm afraid.

Other News Border Collie still running high with her blood sugar levels so may have to give her increased insulin for a few days to try to get it back under control and if that doesn't work have a trip to the vets to double check for an infection, which means a blood test.

Weather has turned cold with a bit of sleet this morning, got to call into my mothers about 6ish on my way to work- note to self when I take her shopping make sure I drop all her bags off when she is dropped off!

Shifts divided up this week so only one night away- great for seeing the Gorgeous One aka Mrs CRV and the dogs, not so good on the commuting time though.

Working my way through my reading list, working on my next professional revalidation, don't want to leave it until the last few weeks next time, so I've made a headstart even though it's 3 years away.

Thinking about doing a "Dry December" good for the liver, avoids any chance of accidentally being over the limit the morning after on my way to work and having had two weeks nights I didn't miss a couple of glasses of wine a night! I might even find something to do to fill the time so I can't be tempted. I find that I sit on a night in front of the tv, having stopped smoking I then have a couple of glasses of wine, one bad habit to another! Found a great quote-

"We seem to wear busyness like a badge of honor nowadays. Often being busy just creates the illusion of being successful, but how successful can we really be when we’re stressed, exhausted, physically and mentally depleted, and missing out on opportunities for joy in our daily life? We may have responsibilities and obligations, but we all have the power to scale back. It might not be easy, but it’s possible. I don’t know about you, but I refuse to use being too busy as an excuse for living a beautiful life." ~Jo Ettles

Enjoy your week and remember without the cold winter we can't appreciate the warm summer!
  • bugslet
    crv1963 wrote: »
    HI

Up way too early for my shift today! Had a good weekend off, rested a bit and pottered a bit.

Sorting- Spare room sorted finally looks like a bedroom, tidy until you open the wardrobe doors, but they can be cleared out one by one. Conservatory still tidy.

I have just had my living room and dining room decorated and new flooring downstairs apart from the kitchen. Stuff all over the place, though in fairness I'm methodically going trhough a lot of paperwork and waiting for bookshelves to be built.

Have sorted out Christmas present lists for everyone else's gifts, so I know what I'm buying, even helped my sons with what they intend buying, trying to teach them that it is okay to buy modestly and not over stretch themselves.

I only do one Xmas present, and that's to a friends' twin sons. It's a voucher so that she can buy clothes if she wants, they aren't well off

Youngest son has decided he's coming to stay with us between Christmas and New Year, even though we're working some of the dates he's going to use the opportunity to relax and "maybe do a few 5k runs".

Relax I understand....5k runs...sorry, does not compute!

So I've decided that I'll have to put the tree up the weekend before Christmas, not sure what date we'll actually open our gifts, we're working 25-27, so early night for me 24th, maybe we'll open them 27th.

Spending Managed to stay in budget, mainly food, although I have had a trip down the pub and bought some raffle tickets for the local Christmas Charity Draw. £5 but it is to help the homeless and local foodbank.

That counts as staying in budget to me:T

Saving Other than sticking to the budget nothing to report I'm afraid.

Other News Border Collie still running high with her blood sugar levels so may have to give her increased insulin for a few days to try to get it back under control and if that doesn't work have a trip to the vets to double check for an infection, which means a blood test.

Dogs are the great budget breakers as I well know

Weather has turned cold with a bit of sleet this morning, got to call into my mothers about 6ish on my way to work- note to self when I take her shopping make sure I drop all her bags off when she is dropped off!

:rotfl:

Shifts divided up this week so only one night away- great for seeing the Gorgeous One aka Mrs CRV and the dogs, not so good on the commuting time though.

Working my way through my reading list, working on my next professional revalidation, don't want to leave it until the last few weeks next time, so I've made a headstart even though it's 3 years away.

I always do things last minute, that really is never going to change,s o well done for your foresight

Thinking about doing a "Dry December" good for the liver, avoids any chance of accidentally being over the limit the morning after on my way to work and having had two weeks nights I didn't miss a couple of glasses of wine a night! I might even find something to do to fill the time so I can't be tempted. I find that I sit on a night in front of the tv, having stopped smoking I then have a couple of glasses of wine, one bad habit to another!

I find it really easy not to drink now that I'm a bit older. I found a nice apple and elderflower cordial at the C0-op, which because I like it weak, lasts forever. Very MSE

Found a great quote-

"We seem to wear busyness like a badge of honor nowadays. Often being busy just creates the illusion of being successful, but how successful can we really be when we’re stressed, exhausted, physically and mentally depleted, and missing out on opportunities for joy in our daily life? We may have responsibilities and obligations, but we all have the power to scale back. It might not be easy, but it’s possible. I don’t know about you, but I refuse to use being too busy as an excuse for living a beautiful life." ~Jo Ettles

That is a good one. I do try on Saturday to do not a lot, or at least not to pressure myself to tick stuff off the to do list and it does help

Enjoy your week and remember without the cold winter we can't appreciate the warm summer!

No blower in the dogvan this morning....came into work via doggy day care with the windows open to demist the windscreen. Brrrrr.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback