Link posting loophole for Newbies

Options
Letting the Forum team know about a loophole in case they already didn't know about it.

While new members are not allowed to post links until after a certain time and number of other posts made, there is a loophole that allows them to share youtube links even on their first post.

See this thread.

Comments

• Misslayed
    Misslayed Posts: 14,174 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks, I've alerted MSE Towers
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Options
    I could have emailed them rather than make it public but as they never replied to my last email...........:(
  • VoucherMan
    VoucherMan Posts: 2,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 3 November 2018 at 9:02AM
    Options
    I could have emailed them rather than make it public

I wouldn't worry about it. As far as I can see youtube is the only external site available with the BB codes, so the worst anyone could do is spam a load of youtube links, although I could have some fun with some of the other codes.:cool:

[purplesignup]testing[/purplesignup]
    MSE must agree:D
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    Thanks for letting us know Wizard of ID.

Please do keep emailing us. We don't usually reply to emails but flagging this kind of thing via email helps us keep track of queries.

If you receive an auto-reply you can be sure we've received your email and will investigate.

Andrea :)
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • PaulineE
    Options
    Why do I get "Sorry as a new user you are not allowed to post with links. This is done to stop spammers clogging up the site. Please edit your message below to continue." when I've been a member of this forum for over ten years?
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Options
    PaulineE wrote: »
    Why do I get "Sorry as a new user you are not allowed to post with links. This is done to stop spammers clogging up the site. Please edit your message below to continue." when I've been a member of this forum for over ten years?

Simply that you have not posted enough times.
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    Hi, as Wizard of ID has mentioned, if you post a bit more you should be able to post links as well as text.

Andrea :)
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • UncleFeushy
    Options
    I've posted more than 20 times and still can't post links
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 30 August 2019 at 10:13AM
    Options
    Thats because you have just joined and already made substantial posts. Which raises red flags as to why so many posts in a day, your posts certainly come across as :spam:

Posting links maybe based in how many posts and the time you joined

• sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,897 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 30 August 2019 at 10:33AM
    Options

There is no specific number of posts, its how long you have been a member along with posting numbers.

By posting over 20 posts in a matter of hours doesnt help your cause.

You can post links by putting spaces in it and another member will put the click up for you,

ie. w w w . money saving expert . com
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure