National Trust Loophole by joining Scotland using in England

123457»

Comments

• fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Another top tip that no-one mentions is to get all your food from food banks. I mean if no-one went there for their food they would have to shut. So seeing they are set up to provide food for free why not go there?
  • BH246
    BH246 Posts: 68 Forumite
    The New Zealand option is a very good one as it includes both National Trust and English Heritage. However if you are going to use a lot remember you have to pay for parking.
  • We've used our Scottish NT card at English NT properties with no problem but beware you can't use it at Stonehenge. Also a problem if parking has a meter as it needs to scan a QR code and the Scottish card doesn't have one. I do believe you can get a parking sticker to show in your car though. I've just applied for one.
  • beefturnmail
    beefturnmail Posts: 906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 May 2019 at 11:05PM
    Looks like the game's up with Heritage NZ, as I received the received the following e-mail from them yesterday

As a valuable member of Heritage New Zealand based overseas, we would like to notify you about some significant changes in our overseas membership prices and categories. It is the first time we have increased our prices on some categories in 11 years, so they reflect the truer value of the membership package we offer. We are also removing some categories to make it easier for us to manage and for you to join or renew.
    The changes follow an investigation into our membership programme charges and costs. Factors such as postal charges – which have risen exponentially– are impacting us. But it was also clear there was a significant gap between the charges Heritage New Zealand sets for access to NZ and overseas properties and historic places and those of our sister organisations overseas like English Heritage and the National Trust.
    Unfortunately it became increasingly apparent there were many UK nationals using our membership programme simply to enjoy the reciprocal access we provide to properties and events managed by the likes of English Heritage and National Trust. Many people were not aware of, or supportive of, our work in New Zealand.
    We believe the new prices create a like-for-like market for people supporting heritage. Our aim is to promote the message that people overseas can, and should, support their local heritage agencies. The changes enable us to focus more prominently on our New Zealand-based members (and potential new members), as well as overseas members who enjoy visiting and experiencing the unique heritage in New Zealand.
    With immediate effect, there will now be two overseas membership categories priced as below:
    • Individual adult membership NZ$200
    • Family membership NZ$350
    Thankfully, I manged to renew just in time, as in the post today was my renewed (at all prices) membership card until 1 June 2020.

No doubt some posters will still indulge in a bit of self-righteous schadenfreude though!
  • Are there any other organisations that give joint access to ENT and EH?
  • I have spoken to the National Trust this morning who states that a Scottish Nation Trust member can gain entry to NT properties with their Scottish NT membership but the parking is NOT FREE
  • Friends of our were members of the New Zealand heritage who is main substantially increased their subscription to non residents. They have now joined the Canadian National trust, who have a reciprocal arrangenent, as an alternative. They have to pay parking but as they only make about 5 visits a year to National Trust properties in the UK so joining the Canadian NT it is stll a cheaper option to the English National Trust for them. They will often have lunch and a drink in the cafe so the National Trust will get something from them. It really does depend how often you are going to visit Nation Trust properties. we are regular visitors so the English National Trust is the best option for us as it includes the parking.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Doc_N wrote: »
    A great scam - if you happen to think that cheating the English National Trust out of crucially important income needed to preserve English heritage is a good idea.

At least the ways things are now structured, though, you won't be able to cheat it out of the parking fees too.

Exactly this .

If wvery body did that the NT would be bankrupt within a few years. .
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,269 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    McKneff wrote: »
    Exactly this .

If wvery body did that the NT would be bankrupt within a few years. .

Absolutely. And as members of the English National Trust we will continue to push the Trust to take this whole issue more seriously and block the reciprocal arrangements being exploited by cheapskates.

We've succeeded already in sorting out New Zealand and the rest will follow soon.

I'd urge any more members of the Trust (bearing in mind that you're paying more to subsidise the free loaders) to contact the Trust CEO to push the point until they fully sort it out.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,278 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Absolutely. And as members of the English National Trust we will continue to push the Trust to take this whole issue more seriously and block the reciprocal arrangements being exploited by cheapskates.

We've succeeded already in sorting out New Zealand and the rest will follow soon.

I'd urge any more members of the Trust (bearing in mind that you're paying more to subsidise the free loaders) to contact the Trust CEO to push the point until they fully sort it out.

I am so pleased to see this and hope others realise what could possibly happen to the NT properties if they didn’t get the income from membership

We are really luck in the UK and have some amazing properties which attract people from around the world. As an example with NT membership you can visit Stonehenge for free and it is always busy with lots of overseas visitors (as well as us Brits). It is so famous that the traffic slows right down as you drive past;). Well, that’s a bit annoying but I love to ogle it too :j

Montacute (in Somerset) has become well known in recent years for so many costume dramas which attract worldwide audiences. This is our nearest property and I never ever get tired of seeing it
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure