Loan against protected property trust

Hi
Can anyone’s tell me whether it’s possible to borrow against my part of my mum’s property.
When dad died, he left his half of their property to his two children (me being one), so, in effect I own 25% of a property worth approx. £180-200k
My own property needs some work doing urgently, for which I need to find 20-25k. Whilst I have some of this I need to borrow approx 15-20k.
Has anyone any experience of borrowing against their interest in someone else’s property?
Thanks in anticipation
Testaliger

Comments

• BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    It's not great security for a loan because how would they sell it if you didn't repay?

I would look for a normal loan.
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • Bermonia
    Bermonia Posts: 977 Forumite
    First Post
    Any lending would have to be secured on the whole of the property (as already stated what’s the point in security that can never be initiated upon default) and would therefore require the agreement and involvement of all parties - would recommend sourcing funding via another method
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,749 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 January 2019 at 9:51AM
    As you cannot physically separate your bricks from your mums bricks the loan would have to be secured against the whole property. Your mother would probably, and rightly, object to a loan being secured on her home in that manner - particularly if it is otherwise unencumbered.

Any reason you do not want to put your own home at risk?
  • Until we complete the work necessary there isn’t the equity in our property to cover a further loan.
  • Bermonia
    Bermonia Posts: 977 Forumite
    First Post
    Bog standard loan it is then... once the work is completed use the increase in equity to release funds and repay the loan.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 January 2019 at 9:02PM
    How is it 20k - 25k, is it something thats been put on the back burner and got worse ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure