How to encourage fly tippers.

As from this week, anybody going to the council tip in my town has to take proof of address with them to stop out of towners using the facility.
What is the point of this? Surely anybody going to a tip is a responsible person, if they go to the tip and forget proof they will get turned away.
Honestly can't understand the mentality behind this idea.

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Get turned away, the ones I have been to are one way only, to exit you need to drive past all the bins.

Oh look my cars stalled right by the bin I need.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,368 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Yes because I normally load my car and drive miles and miles to dump it, your local authority are obviously very smart. And nobody is going to get peed off and dump it elsewhere are they? My local tip opens 10-4 so nobody working normal hours can visit before or after work. Genius idea.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    z1a wrote: »
    As from this week, anybody going to the council tip in my town has to take proof of address with them to stop out of towners using the facility.
    What is the point of this? Surely anybody going to a tip is a responsible person, if they go to the tip and forget proof they will get turned away.

Been like that in my area for a few years now. We get a permit that comes with the council tax bill but if you haven't got one you just wave a letter at them. It's not exactly onerous - just keep an old letter in the car.
    It's not encouraged fly tipping because the mattress dumping brigade tends to be those without cars, commercial operators who don't want to pay for a permit, or those who don't want to pay the council for the large item removal service. All of whom would dump stuff regardless of whether they had to show proof of address at the tip or not.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • My town (Blackburn) have done the same and i agree with it everyone using the tip is driving a vehicle so you will be carrying your driving licence so whats the problem i use a works van for my trips so have to show my permit adding my licence aint no problem but then i've nothing to hide :)
    Blue n White
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    My town (Blackburn) have done the same and i agree with it everyone using the tip is driving a vehicle so you will be carrying your driving licence so whats the problem i use a works van for my trips so have to show my permit adding my licence aint no problem but then i've nothing to hide :)

Yes, this is Blackburn. No, I won't have my DL on me as a rule.
  • Im guessing the reason they have brought this rule in is to keep an eye on how many times someone uses the tip to get rid of their rubbish up till this year you could use the facilities several times a day everyday of the year if you wished and they would not be doing that for free would they :)
    Blue n White
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    What is the point of this?

Disposing of waste that cannot be recycled is very expensive.

It is paid for from the Council Tax.

Some people's nearest tip might be run by a neighbouring Council. But if you take your rubbish there, that Council will incur the costs of disposing of it.

Your Council is simply acting in your best interests by ensuring that people from neighbouring boroughs are not taking their rubbish to be disposed of at your expense.

You should welcome this. It;s not difficult to carry proof of your address with you when you go to the tip.

If your Council was wasting your money, you would probably be the first to complain.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

Your council will be able to provide a better answer than us on here.
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Your council will be able to provide a better answer than us on here.

I know - it was a vent!
  • PDC
    PDC Posts: 805 Forumite
    Has been the same for our local council for some time too - But I've never once had anyone at the tip ask to see the bit of paper they send out every year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure