Starling Bank Security

Comments

• dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    This is a fairly common story on here.

OP goes out drinking in what is eventually revealed to be a strip-club or similar establishment, is "drugged" (maybe for real, maybe just excessively drunk) and the establishment take him for every penny they can (chip-and-PIN purchases).

As the PIN was used the bank are not keen to chargeback the transactions, as it simply looks like morning-after remorse.

Clearly not the bank's fault whatever the situation was.

The only way forward is a formal complaint to the bank setting out what happened with as much evidence as is available (e.g. the crime number from the Polish police), within the 120 day chargeback time limit. Escalate to the ombudsman if necessary.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    There is another way to defraud on a Starling account and that's to steal a mobile phone which is not secured which has a Starling app with a weak password. In my view this could be the one reason why Starling should refuse compensation. That could be the reason why instant notifications from the Starling app were not received. The other reason could be mobile payments such as Apple Pay or Google Pay with the Starling card linked on a similarly insecure mobile phone.

Everyone should be aware that mobile banking apps and mobile payments apps are only as secure as your phone!
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Anthorn wrote: »
    There is another way to defraud on a Starling account and that's to steal a mobile phone which is not secured which has a Starling app with a weak password. In my view this could be the one reason why Starling should refuse compensation. That could be the reason why instant notifications from the Starling app were not received. The other reason could be mobile payments such as Apple Pay or Google Pay with the Starling card linked on a similarly insecure mobile phone.

Everyone should be aware that mobile banking apps and mobile payments apps are only as secure as your phone!

Possibly. Though every banking app I've installed has, I think, a pre-condition of installation that the phone is secured via PIN etc. I haven't tried every banking app but I assume this would be a default condition for all. Plus of course the App's own security.

What I don't know, not having tried it, is whether a banking app disables itself if you turn off phone security. Again I assume it should. And phone security can only, normally, be turned off by confirming, er, phone security - so a thief couldn't do it.

If all these assumptions are correct a thief would not be able to use banking on a stolen phone unless they knew the phone's security. If the phone was unsecured the banking app wouldn't work. Unless the banking app was so simple it didn't notice here was no security set any more.

Unless... they kept a stolen but secured phone from sleeping by constantly using the screen.

But I may be wrong about banking apps and requirements for phone security.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    Data doesn't need to be on to get notifications. I log into my account with touch ID or by PIN.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    All banking apps are secured by a PIN, or password, or similar. So if a phone is stolen then in a way it doesn't matter if the phone is unsecured because they still won't be able to get into the app.

What they WILL be able to do though is take out the SIM and put it in another phone unless the SIM card is secured. Everyone's first priority should be to put a lock on their SIM so it can't be used if lost/stolen. This is particularly true if your bank uses text messages or phone verification to verify transactions.

That said, no one can break into your Starling app unless they know the PIN.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    meer53 wrote: »
    You get instant notifications from Starling when a transaction is made with your card ? How did you not notice them ?

They were off their tits!
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    18cc wrote: »
    All banking apps are secured by a PIN, or password, or similar. So if a phone is stolen then in a way it doesn't matter if the phone is unsecured because they still won't be able to get into the app.

What they WILL be able to do though is take out the SIM and put it in another phone unless the SIM card is secured. Everyone's first priority should be to put a lock on their SIM so it can't be used if lost/stolen. This is particularly true if your bank uses text messages or phone verification to verify transactions.

That said, no one can break into your Starling app unless they know the PIN.

Except that some people have their password as "password" and their PIN as "123456". No matter how many times the folly of this is highlighted they still do it. Either that or they have the same password and/or PIN for everything so anyone who gets the password and/or PIN gets access to everything.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Yes agreed it is depressingly true
  • I must say I was expecting a more grown up response on MSE website. The abuse is uncalled for. I paid for a round of drinks on card and I'm guessing that's how they got my pin.
    I mean !!!!!! I know Auschwitz is not in Krakow but my hotel Was, was this really that big an assumption to follow through with?
    My argument is that 5 other financial institutions are involved and they all either stopped the payments or have refunded. Starling are stating that chip and pin is too secure that it couldn't be fraud despite bring able to prove that I wasn't in the club at the time of some of the transactions.
    As for the drugs I was either unconscious or severely incapacitated
  • DCFC79 wrote: »
    Im guessing the money was taken via atm, is that right ?
    If it were me I would have just taken cash out with me.

You could have locked the card so it couldnt be used in ATM's ?
    No chip and pin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport