Credit Rating for an EE phone contract?

Options

Comments

• StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Options
    alanwaken wrote: »
    Wow you guys are horrible. Thanks for the warm comments..

I think members here would rather be hated if that's what it takes for people not to repeat the mistakes that got them into debt trouble to begin with.

If you want an iPhone, save up for one and buy it outright. You can then save a significant sum with a SIMO plan. The phone isn't going anywhere. I'm sure you'll survive the months without it until you've saved up and more significantly, you wont owe anyone anything and it wouldn't need any hit on your credit rating, let alone be the start of another debt cycle.

You've been in a DMP, you should've learned then that borrowing from your current self is stealing from your future self. Time to try a different approach don't you think?

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • armchaireconomist
    Options
    EE credit ratings are nonsense, i'd paid mine for 6 year under my dad's name (against my knowledge). Found out, asked them to change it and I had to wait 3 days for a decision despite having never missed a payment in that time.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    EE credit ratings are nonsense, i'd paid mine for 6 year under my dad's name (against my knowledge). Found out, asked them to change it and I had to wait 3 days for a decision despite having never missed a payment in that time.

Well you should know who's name the contract is in. Every bill (even electronic ones) would have had his name on it. Every time you rang up you would have had to give his details. You must have upgraded the contract in the 6 years which would have required his details. How could you have not known??

If it's in your dads name then all payment history will be attributed to him. So changing the name means they needed to credit check you to see if you meet their criteria based on your credit history.
  • armchaireconomist
    Options
    takman,

The contract was originally under my dad's account from when I was younger, on my 18th birthday I rang up and requested it all be changed into my name and payment from my account. They sorted it all, I upgraded 2 years later with no issues, then I got my next upgrade through carphone warehouse (still with EE) and they had no record of my account. I'd paid and conversed with them using my name and accounts for four years after they told me it had been transferred into my name. When I rang them to ask what was going on they realised they'd made a mistake and amended it, but needed a credit check to prove I could afford it at a cheaper rate than I'd been paying for 4 years under what should've been in my name.
  • Destabilising
    Options
    I honestly think it depends if your circumstances have changed. Shop around, maybe look at buying the phone outright if you can afford it. Personally, I'd love the iPhone X, but I know I can't afford it and I have an iPhone 6 at the moment with a Sim Only contract. It's working perfectly for me. Maybe look at getting a 6, the contracts (if you're determined to get a contract) would be far cheaper. Unfortunately, there is no way to say if you'll be accepted, all companies have their own criteria. I'm also just going to repeat here; your credit score has no impact whatsoever. No one apart from yourself sees it.
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    cjmillsnun wrote: »
    I would argue that a mobile is a necessity as to be honest a PAYG is cheaper than a landline and a phone of some kind is a necessity. I do agree though, the latest and greatest is a luxury.

Sim only can be much better value, even for occasional users.

I've got an iPhone with a £15/month deal; unlimited minutes and texts plus a decent data allowance with EE.

That works out to give or take 50p a day. EE charge 30p a minute on PAYG (just checked and it downloaded a PDF which I can't post a link to).

Use the phone more than about an hour on the average month (and it's not the cheapest but I'm a heavy user) and you're better off.

For OP; no need to go for a flash phone, just go for a £22.99 all in Android phone (click here), use the credit on the offer for 2 months, and I was going to suggest going for a cheap SIM only deal (click here), but you may be better off if sticking within the limits just topping up by £10 a month and staying on PAYG.
    💙💛 💔
  • sheff6107
    Options
    It's not for me to judge (just because you've had debt problems it doesn't mean you should be expected to sell all your possessions and eat beans), but EE are VERY expensive.

Virgin Mobile do the iPhone 8 for £29 a month for 1.2Gb of data with zero upfront. Unfortunately they reject anyone without a decent credit record.

Try Sky - they do £37 a month with 500mb, no upfront cost and PAYG calls and texts. Although bear in mind you are leasing the phone and you have to give it back after 2 years. So don't drop it.
  • Fireflyaway
    Options
    I just got a contract phone with a very poor credit rating. I did it through sky and I'm guessing because I've been a tv customer a while and always paid on time that may have helped.
    Do check the deal though. Sometimes the monthly payments add up to be many hundreds and a lot more than saving up and paying cash. Be careful to never miss a payment too !
  • Lord_Grep
    Lord_Grep Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 16 January 2019 at 3:46AM
    Options
    +
    alanwaken wrote: »
    Wow you guys are horrible. Thanks for the warm comments..

I know where you are coming from. I have gone to the trouble to sign up here, just so I can reply to something I keep seeing on this site, and it's something that really needs addressing.

What is wrong with just answering a question? Just because you wouldn't spend £1K on a phone, doesn't mean that, you some how get the right to talk down to people and cast aspersions on their financial status. Or purchasing preferences.

Seeing this 'holier than thou' attitude towards people who are dealing with their debt and who seem to have figured things out, Just because you don't see the value in a £1K phone, doesn't mean that others feel the same way. I mean if no one saw the value of a £1K phone, then Apple would go bankrupt.

I would have laughed if this attitude came from some newbies, but it's not, it's on thread after thread someone asks a fairly reasonable question is just berated by the biggest users on this platform.

I have no debt at all. I came here looking for an answer to "How much of a credit score I would need to get a vodaphone contract for an apple watch. Before you all tell me how frivolous this is, I want to help you not make a @#£% out of your self. The reason I want one is that I am disabled, and on my own, and the fall down, and the heart monitor will make me feel a lot safer, I also want to make an app for it to automatically call 999 with all the details, and unlock the front door if you are at home.. I then want to put together an easy to install kit for those who are like me, infirm, and alone.

Now my case could be reasonably summed up for this forum as "I have a credit score of 825" do you know what EE or Vodaphone need as far as a credit score is concerned". I'm trying to think just how mad I would be if some mega user of the site started casting me in a bad light because I find a need to pay £600 on a watch.

Guys, if you spend your whole life trying to save as much as possible, and spend as little as you can, great, what ever makes you happy. For the rest of us, we see money as a means to an end. We like shiny stuff, or cool stuff, and we want to own the stuff rather than looking at a number on a cash point screen. Come to money shaming experts, where others feel it is their right to shame you for wanting to get nice things.

This isn't a one off.. I have seen about 10 threads that have gone the same way as here, and it's really surprising.

I am not one for banning people, or warnings etc (I run another forum) But finding your kicks in insulting or trolling newbs really doesn't help.

This forum is the top forum for many credit rating questions, and it's not a great advert to see god users insulting, or mocking people for asking simple questions. "Lets not answer the question, but instead lets virtue signal to our mates, about how P%$# this person is cos they want to own a particular phone"....

Sorry I'll shut up. I wish I was not so verbose.
    Grep.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Lord_Grep wrote: »

Now my case could be reasonably summed up for this forum as "I have a credit score of 825" do you know what EE or Vodaphone need as far as a credit score is concerned".

It's the same answer. They require no score at all.

They'll accept or decline you on their own criteria, based on your credit history.

Have you checked how your history appears on your three files?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure