Motability Claim

Hello, I am a motability customer and have a vehicle on the scheme. I do not hold any driving license but my son does and he is the only driver on the insurance policy. I am the policy holder.

On Christmas while we were with family away from home, we left the car on the driveway and it was broken into. The multimedia system was stolen and a lot of damage was caused to the interior.

When we got back we informed the police and got a crime reference number.

As my son was not driving and it was on the driveway, I would like to know who the insurance company will claim off? I feel like it is unfair to have a notch against my sons name as he was not driving it and it was at home and it may be a case of paying for the damage ourselves instead of going through insurance.

Any advise from motability customers would be much appreciated.

Happy New Year!

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It will go down as a fault claim (the name for the situation where the insurance cannot claim costs off anyone) against your policy, you will have to declare it in the future. It doesn't matter if it's a motability car or not. I was hit by a motability car when cycling, I just claimed off the driver's insurance as per normal, it makes no difference.
  • Thanks for that information. I prefer if it came off my policy then for it to affect my son's insurance premium (in the future or on any car even now) whom was not at fault whatsoever. I feel that it would be unfair if this happened.

Thank you for your reply.
  • keith1950
    keith1950 Posts: 2,597 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Does he own another car with his own insurance policy at the moment ?
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    That shouldn't make any difference. He was not the driver at the time.

For an unmanned vehicle a fault claim will be against the policy holder and not any named drivers.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    So 2 opposing views, can someone give a definitive answer please, and rule out what is poor info from one poster as the OP must be confused by this.
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It's a fault claim against the policy not the driver.

If the driver has his own vehicle and policy then he doesn't have to declare it because he has not suffered a loss or accident as he was not in, or in charge of, the vehicle at the time.

It is no different to a fault claim my daughter could have in her vehicle. I am a named driver but it has no effect on me or my insurance.

Most people are used to being the policyholder and.main driver so tend to see that a fault claim on an unmanned vehicle is a fault against them as the driver when in fact it is a claim against the policy and the driver is immaterial.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    So 2 opposing views, can someone give a definitive answer please, and rule out what is poor info from one poster as the OP must be confused by this.

What are the opposing views?

OP is the policy holder, his son is a named driver.

I said it will be on his policy
    unforeseen said it will be on his policy

Other than you, the only other person who commented is keith1950 who asked a question.

The insurance claim will be against the policy holder (OP). OP's son was not involved in an accident so would not have to declare anything if he got his own car and insurance policy
  • Thanks for the replies people! I rang the insurance company today and they confirmed that it will be a claim against me (the policy holder) and not my son.

Thank you for your time and advice. :)
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Sorry guys, I did get confused. Just couldn't see how a non driver could hold an insurance policy.

To further this I am a mobility driver, just assumed all responsibility was mine, as a driver, (but also as the policy policyholder) the OP circumstances had me guessing
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • im a driver of a motability vehicle and so is my partner (same car) he has 10 years plus personal no claims bonus before we had the moatability vehicle i had to claim on the insurance as someone had damaged my bonnet and drove off will this affect his no claims even though i was the one that i claimed?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure