Help With Student Loans - HERE!

Comments

• sim11
    sim11 Posts: 621 Forumite
    sim11 wrote: »
    Anyone know about filling the Student Finance income forms out when on benefits. I am pulling my hair out with it. Esa income related with a carers premium. The issue i have is partner claims carers allowance, which is paid weekly on its own to partner. It is added as a premium on Esa but then deducted. Asked partner if he has ever had a P60, he cannot remember and i cannot find one amongst any of my paperwork.
    Do i (A) do not put down carers, and just put it through as zero income
    (B) put it down with the yearly amount for carers allowance for 2016/2017

Hoping someone else may have come across this themselves

Spoke to student finance, they said better to put it down than not. Thought i would update for anyone else who maybe asking the same question.
  • Hi SLC

I've heard that you can get a refund if you started repaying early, which i did. But if i get the refund will i not just have to pay them back anyway?

Vicky
  • HI SLC worker.
    I am getting married, I took out a student loan in 2002 - 2006. What if any affect does this have on our finances would my spouse become partially or totally responsible, if I am not working or can less than 18000 pa?
    thanks
  • Just wondered if this has happened to anyone else...

For the tax year 2017-2018 I was in employment and also self-employed. My employer deducted my student loan repayments (plan 1) correctly based on my monthly income i.e. over the threshold, however I was only employed for 4 months in that tax year so my total was under the SL threshold.

When I completed my tax return last week I noticed that my total earned income from both my employment and self-employment was only just over the yearly repayment threshold for the student loan. But I'd paid back several hundred pounds through my PAYE.

I thought in principle you should only be paying back 9% of your income over a certain threshold yet I've in effect paid back 54% of that.

I tried contacting the SLC to get a refund for the extra repayment and they said they couldn't do it because of the mix of employed and self-employed incomes. This doesn't seem right to me and I just wondered if anyone else has experienced the same situation?
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    wyndzor wrote: »
    Just wondered if this has happened to anyone else...

For the tax year 2017-2018 I was in employment and also self-employed. My employer deducted my student loan repayments (plan 1) correctly based on my monthly income i.e. over the threshold, however I was only employed for 4 months in that tax year so my total was under the SL threshold.

When I completed my tax return last week I noticed that my total earned income from both my employment and self-employment was only just over the yearly repayment threshold for the student loan. But I'd paid back several hundred pounds through my PAYE.

I thought in principle you should only be paying back 9% of your income over a certain threshold yet I've in effect paid back 54% of that.

I tried contacting the SLC to get a refund for the extra repayment and they said they couldn't do it because of the mix of employed and self-employed incomes. This doesn't seem right to me and I just wondered if anyone else has experienced the same situation?

I believe the only time you can get a refund is if you made repayments but in the tax year you earned less than the threshold.

If you have earnt more than the threshold then you are not entitled to refunds - even if it was more than 9% over.
  • wyndzor
    wyndzor Posts: 2 Newbie
    Lokolo wrote: »
    I believe the only time you can get a refund is if you made repayments but in the tax year you earned less than the threshold.

If you have earnt more than the threshold then you are not entitled to refunds - even if it was more than 9% over.

I think you're right Lokolo. It just seems a bit wrong to me, but then I'm looking at the yearly totals and thresholds whereas the SLC seem to favour the monthly earnings as a basis for deductions.
    Something worth raising with Martin perhaps?
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,957 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    HI SLC worker.
    I am getting married, I took out a student loan in 2002 - 2006. What if any affect does this have on our finances would my spouse become partially or totally responsible, if I am not working or can less than 18000 pa?
    thanks

No effect at all. Your repayments are based on your income alone.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,957 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Vicky-h wrote: »
    Hi SLC

I've heard that you can get a refund if you started repaying early, which i did. But if i get the refund will i not just have to pay them back anyway?

Vicky

Only if you get to the point where you will have repaid all your loan before it is written off. Forecasts suggest only the highest earners will be in this position.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • JANE32
    JANE32 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Hi there, I wonder if you could advise. My daughter applied for her first student loan back in sept 2017 and we are still waiting for it to be released. There was a problem because of her changing uni’s at the last minute but that has all been sorted, yet there’s still no sign of any money coming in. She’s had uni chasing her for fees & ive got council tax chasing me for her exemption certificate (she’s still living at home). The council have been very patient with us but they are as fed up of waiting as we are. What can we do to speed this up? Thanks
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,101 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    JANE32 wrote: »
    Hi there, I wonder if you could advise. My daughter applied for her first student loan back in sept 2017 and we are still waiting for it to be released. There was a problem because of her changing uni’s at the last minute but that has all been sorted, yet there’s still no sign of any money coming in. She’s had uni chasing her for fees & ive got council tax chasing me for her exemption certificate (she’s still living at home). The council have been very patient with us but they are as fed up of waiting as we are. What can we do to speed this up? Thanks

What have Student Loan Company said about the delay?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback