PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Sorry - it would simply matters if I suggested you start reading Terry Pratchett's Discworld.
    Where Cut-My-Own-Throat Dibbler (relating to his pricing policy patter), & Vetinari are people in the city of Ankh Morpork, and where Rat On A Stick is streetfood for the dwarf population. Give it a try? It's a glorious universe & superbly written, but you'll be laughing so hard the lit crit barely matters.
  • Witless
    Witless Posts: 728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Erm, I'm lost ... cmotd? Vetinari? Heeelp!

**Gasp**

Never 'eard of 'im?

Wash your keyboard out with soap!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_Vetinari
  • DigForVictory
    Witless, be nice - karmcat may know every character in Dickens, or how to keep a dicky motor running for the extra few miles, or have a system that works for food storage - that's why we have the Forum - to help each other when things get a bit "eh?!"

Plus she may have a sideline in Mime & thus have been sheltered from some information.

(The chicken names won't have made sense either.) May I suggest Sugarbean as a possible name?
  • When we had chickens we had Geraldine, Marjory and Florence followed by Barbara, Sylvia and Edwina, most up market my girls were!

Now you DO know that technically rats ARE edible? be careful what you wish for .........
  • Witless
    Witless, be nice

:(

In my defence, despite the time of posting, I hadn't had my [STRIKE]eleventythird[/STRIKE] first cup of coffee (as evidenced by my use of ** Gasp ** instead of :eek: ) and thought I was replying to the last post in a jocular manner.

I didn't believe there were still people who weren't aware of the [STRIKE]fantasy[/STRIKE] reality novels by Sir TP.

Ah well, illusions are made to be shattered: I suppose the next point on my learning curve will be to be told that not everyone just nips to the corner shop as and when required, follows the dictates of consumerism, replaces rather than repairs ....:huh:

Every day a school day.
  • Witless
    When we had chickens we had Geraldine, Marjory and Florence followed by Barbara, Sylvia and Edwina, most up market my girls were!

My last dog was called 'Thing'. :D

(It seemed less cruel than the more accurate 'Heinz')
  • DigForVictory
    edited 12 May 2018 at 3:20PM
    I shouldn't chide anyone short on the essential fluids - I'm sorry! (That's a cut down definition of shock, which can be fatal, as well as an apology.)

Stunningly the Discworld is unknown to some, despite Pratchett accounting for over a quarter of W.H.Smiths SF&F sales. (All reasonably priced, unlike their in-hospital toothpaste ye gods.)

Edwina, for a chicken, Mrs LW? Mischevious! Come that day I'm allowed chickens (*never* a cockerel - sons love their sleep too much), I may just run down the family tree & pull out the older names - Alethea, Emmeline, Madelina, Clarisse, Ruby, Susannah & co but I think Magrat & co would be even more fun. Although I foresee the "OK, get out the corned beef" situation... (I love chicken, Husband, not so much. Picky mortal.)

"Thing" for a dog does't sound too bad - I've not forgotten hearing a tweeded lady gallumphing down a hill path yelling "Bishop! Come back here, Bishop!" after a liveiy terrier. I've a colleague who's husband named the new cat Janet as he thought it would be fun to startle the neighbours.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :) I've always had a soft spot for Lord Vetinari, have just re-read Guards! Guards! and enjoyed the bit where he meditates that one should never build a dungeon that one wouldn't happy to be incarcerated in oneself - whilst being detained in his own due to a palace coup. He was being waited on by magically-enhanced rats but their pantry pilferage on his behalf was a trifle compromised due to their inability to read the labels on bottles......... ah Discworld, truly a wonderful creation.

Isn't rat-onna-stick a famous dwarvish delicacy?

I have been Doing Stuff which is Too Secret to share on the interwebulator today. So there. :p;)

DforV, my family nickname is It. As in (exasperated parental tone to be imagined at this point) Where is It and what's It doing NOW?!
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • YES D for V precisely for that reason and Edwina is such a nice name isn't it? I suppose one of the new ones could be 'Ella?
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I'm coming up to the end of a 30 month fix with Scottish Power on 30th June. The prices they would roll me onto then are about 50% more, and even the cheapest alternative is about 20% more.

Is there any way to actually switch on 30th June? That way I keep my low price until the last minute, but don't get stung by the 50% increase.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure