Our attempt at being MF!!

Comments

• shangaijimmy
    shangaijimmy Posts: 3,796
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Oh compensation pay out. Mrs SJ had a nasty fall a few years ago and was awarded around £2k compensation. As yet we've still not spent it as we could never decide on what to use it for! So it currently sits as part of our EF. I actually used some of it as a loan to oursevles when we bought a replacement car, and have steadily been paying it back (will be repaid by Feb next year). Mrs SJ doesn't really know where i borrowed the cash from and i'm just hoping she's forgotten about the cash for another few months as she hasn't mentioned it for i reckon 6 months now!!

A log burner sounds a good idea to me!
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,113
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I am just glad dh is giving me the bulk of it, he knows I will spend it wisely. I think his part is being spent on some kind of television and improved internet.

Since we are running the account down to payday and we are on holiday next week I did a Tilly today thinking we had 70p to play with. Sent it to mortgage, checked other account and it was actually 79p so had to log back in and send 9p and amend spreadsheet. The months are getting so hard to knock off which can be disheartening but the plod continues.

Dh tells me we do not need a small top up shop I was planning so he is definitely getting on board with some kind of money saving. However we might get have booked another holiday last night. Desperate to tell the children but will wait until deposits paid today and we have paperwork just in case as rooms were selling fast!
    Mar 2024 - part 1 - £31,656 part 2 - £25,019 Total - £56,675 44 months to go!
  • shangaijimmy
    Forumite
    CathT wrote: »
    However we might get have booked another holiday last night. Desperate to tell the children but will wait until deposits paid today and we have paperwork just in case as rooms were selling fast!

2 key words there. How do you "might" have booked:cool:? and then lucky you "another":T...slightly envious there!! All just rewards for the hard work making money work hard for you all.

• CathT
    Forumite
    It was all done through fb so needed confirmation this morning. Deposit paid and booking secured. After years of shocking childcare costs we are making the most of the extra cash in the budget. Just trying to have lots of fun along the way.
  • CathT
    Forumite
    It is the weekend!

I have had a late start though and slept until 8:15 so just having my first coffee (de-caf, nothing exciting!)

Just sent a £4 mortgage op as rounded the current account down.

Dh is treating me to some of his compensation money to buy some bits and pieces for holiday today. I am accepting as it will mean a bit less technology type purchases to clutter up the house!

Dd has been to my mums for a sleepover so it is fairly quiet here with only one child so I am going to crack on with the packing and assess the suitcase situation as we may need to buy another one today.

Be back on later to catch up with diaries, have a lovely weekend.
  • CathT
    Forumite
    Morning, the sun is out here so I am hoping that will do something for the motivation levels. Dh is doing another car boot sale and I am having my first cuppa. Washing machine is on and I will sort out the packing today! Still have some last minute items to buy later aswell.

Still running down the freezer supplies before we go away which may mean some random meals for me as I try and ensure I am eating enough protein. Have some bolognaise defrosting so the children can have that for lunch.

If I find some extra energy I will finish strimming the garden too. Will also need to fit in a trip to the park for the children too.

Dh will probably come home late morning and I am hopeful he arrived home mostly clutter free and with plenty of cash!
  • CathT
    Forumite
    £25 profit from carboot sale has been sent to the mortgage, spreadsheet updated and coloured in another brick. I must have shown dh the picture years ago and he was impressed at home much of the house we have now coloured in.

Finished the strimming in the garden, line dried two loads of washing including two lots of bedding. Exchanged an item for dd bought yesterday which is slightly too small (walked part way to avoid parking costs), did a small shop at @ldi which was mainly toiletry items for holiday. Saw a homeless man outside and from discussions on a social media page for our town he has quite a sad story and sits outside the supermarket out of town so he doesn!!!8217;t mix with the other homeless group who are involved with substance misuse. I asked him what he would like and he wanted chocolate so got him that and some bananas. Dh has bought him something in the past but he had moved before dh could give him the items.

Most packing is done for holiday apart from items we are still using. Double checked transfer time and it is only 20 minutes from airport to hotel which will make up for the longer flight than we are used to.

A short working week for us this week then hopefully lots of memories being made in the sun.
  • CathT
    Forumite
    Morning, looks like another glorious day here.

Had some early productivity, CB hit account so swimming lessons paid for. Realised we spend about £750 a year on these!

Y0ugov money also landed so have already transferred that and sent as a mortgage OP. Account updated and will update spreadsheet later. Our end date is currently May 2029 on that part and whilst I don!!!8217;t have a fixed age I want to be mortgage free by I would like it before 47 which I will be in 2029. Getting it to April at least means I will be 46! I know that is still a great age for mortgage freedom but being on this journey and part of this community really shows you what is possible.
  • shangaijimmy
    Forumite
    Must be the day for swimming lesson talk. We were just talking about when its time to stop with DS2! I'll definitely be stopping in time to switch payment from DS2 to DD as I don't want a cross over for 2. As for age of MF i'm pushing hard for it to be when i'm still 45, so have 12 months of flexibility. My thoughts are that it then gives me 15yrs of investing that cash to get to retirement at 60! Not that i'm looking 20yrs ahead or anything...

• greent
    greent Posts: 10,668
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    We've only got one at swimming lessons now - stopped the lessons for the other 3 when they could swim more than 100m/ were in blue level or above. Expensive when we had more than 1 in lessons at a time - but such a worthwhile and necessary skill, imo :)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure