MBNA Phoned Work

Comments

• No_6
    No_6 Posts: 835 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Never had a Credit Card phone my employer in all the years I have
    used and reused all the C.cards available since early 1990's.

They wont now...cause I'm retired and still getting great offers !
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I'm not sure I understand "suspicious to the employer" - I was the employer. But I don't think I made her look suspicious to Barclaycard. I may have told Barclaycard I needed her permission before answering the questions (can't remember the exact conversation). I'm guessing as soon as they got through there realised we were a proper company and not a mate of hers.

But that's just an excuse, isn't it? You can disclose stuff if the person whose data it is wants you to.

As a "good boss", I have no problem giving references, confirming ID stuff if I'm asked to and they want me to. Anyway, she thought I was a good boss. We're still in touch today, despite her having left the job.

The DPA does apply - assuming the card issuer has nothing to do with her role. I would also be of the view that if they (the card issuer) wanted proof then they should ask me for payslips etc.

It's not a question of being a "good boss" or "bad boss".
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Heng_Leng wrote: »
    It's not a question of being a "good boss" or "bad boss".

But in your earlier post you wrote:
    I'm glad that you aren't my boss...

Well, then it's not a question of whether you are glad or not! I'll put it another way: she was "glad" to be my staff.

But I agree, it doesn't affect application of the law.
    The DPA does apply - assuming the card issuer has nothing to do with her role. I would also be of the view that if they (the card issuer) wanted proof then they should ask me for payslips etc.

I didn't say it didn't apply. But that with consent, you can disclose information. Whether they should ask for payslips is up to them - but that would have taken much longer and I doubt whether most employers would wish to do that. The point is they asked for some pretty minimal information to establish she hadn't made the whole story up.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    But in your earlier post you wrote:

Well, then it's not a question of whether you are glad or not! I'll put it another way: she was "glad" to be my staff.

But I agree, it doesn't affect application of the law.

I didn't say it didn't apply. But that with consent, you can disclose information. Whether they should ask for payslips is up to them - but that would have taken much longer and I doubt whether most employers would wish to do that. The point is they asked for some pretty minimal information to establish she hadn't made the whole story up.

I appreciate you are happy to to do it, I still wouldn't divulge personal information to a voice on the phone.

Payslips would be supplied by the employee to the card issuer.
    It's not for the employer to get involved.
  • chattychappy
    I appreciate you are happy to to do it, I still wouldn't divulge personal information to a voice on the phone.

Payslips would be supplied by the employee to the card issuer.
    It's not for the employer to get involved.

The problem is that these days payslips are easily faked... though as I say, they weren't drilling down into that level of detail. Just confirming she worked with us.

There is an issue around whether the "voice" was Barclaycard, I suppose. These days I would insist on calling them back on a recognised number.
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    First Direct back in 2002 when I applied for a bank account with them called me at my workplace - they asked to be put through to me and when they spoke to me, just said it was to confirm that I was actually employed with the company and that was it. Got the bank account and that was it. Never been called by any other bank or credit card company since to verify employment.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,163 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    What's the law on an employer confirming employee details to a 3rd party?
  • No_6
    @ c.apple
    that's what you get with a teley phoney bank then ?
  • No_6
    They probably don't have enough staff to do that anymore.
  • chattychappy
    prowla wrote: »
    What's the law on an employer confirming employee details to a 3rd party?

No problem if you have your employee's consent.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure