employer wants proof of time off?

Comments

• sann420 wrote: »

What are your thoughts on this?

Cheers,

Have you asked the Employer why? Sounds like they've allowed you to start and are now demanding this. It could be anything to needing to check that perhaps your references haven't got confused - easily done I have to keep reminding my current manager as keeps saying it was later in the month I started which is worrying if ever shall be asked for a reference :cool::o they openly admit a poor memory but I can easily foresee the ramifications.

If someone demanded you white wash completely your career history in order to get a job in your chosen field - would you do it?

Anyhow I once had to explain to someone in the Care profession, why I'd had a DBS check when working in IT handling employee data, they just didn't get why! so they say there is nowt as weird as folk.
  • BooJewels
    BooJewels Posts: 2,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    usefulmale wrote: »
    The only trouble there is
    Now my current employer has done all the criminal checks etc + employment refs + education checks and they have all come through fine.
    Thanks, I glanced back but missed that, although my comment was more general, I wasn't suggesting that was the case with the OP. It's an issue my husband has had with applicants - granted, of a different calibre than we're discussing here. They probably wouldn't get as far as full vetting where there were gaps, they couldn't or wouldn't explain at interview, as the application process requires them to have a 5 year fully checkable history. Not that many pay any attention to the specific requirements in job adverts
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

Anyhow I once had to explain to someone in the Care profession, why I'd had a DBS check when working in IT handling employee data, they just didn't get why! so they say there is nowt as weird as folk.

What sort of DBS check? Was the role in a care setting?
  • sann420
    sann420 Posts: 122 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Okay so I did this post to basically ask what my data protection rights are as a citizen of the UK.... and all I got was:

1) You are lucky to have a job. Nobody has ever had a job like ever so you better bow down and do what your employer tells you to do or die.

2) You are trying to hide some thing therefore you are a criminal of the highest order.

This forum used to be helpful back in the day.
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    sann420 wrote: »
    Okay so I did this post to basically ask what my data protection rights are as a citizen of the UK.... and all I got was:

1) You are lucky to have a job. Nobody has ever had a job like ever so you better bow down and do what your employer tells you to do or die.

2) You are trying to hide some thing therefore you are a criminal of the highest order.

The responses are helpful if you bother to read them properly.

Or are you flouncing because people have not told you what you want to hear?
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    This is actually a standard request for regulated city organisations like banks and law firms.

For any gap of more than a few weeks in your employment history, they will ask for proof of what you were doing.

It is standard procedure for their background checks. If you don't comply you will fail the checks.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

But you didn't ask that, you asked this:

My question is: Are they within their rights to ask for this ? and what is the point of this? I have asked them repeatedly why they need to know what I was doing during my time off and they just keep saying its for compliance reasons.

You asked your employer and they've answered you. It's fairly obvious that they want to ensure that their employees haven't hidden any part of their employment history which might make them unsuitable, e.g. failing to disclose an employment where they have been subject to disciplinary action. Given that you work in IT for a bank this sounds very prudent on their part. As for the integrity of your personal data, I'm sure you can ask them for a copy of their policy to put your mind at rest.
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite

I think it was only really me who said anything like that tbh...

And to be honest I said that you were lucky being in a position where you could live without working, referring to your past post about making a 150k profit on a property.

Many people in the country have to work to make a living. Many people will therefore be happy to provide this sort of information, and it seems even more strange given that you've already posted half of it on a public forum, Ali!

It does appear that you may be hiding something. Or not appreciating the fact that many people have to provide this sort of information to get jobs.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    I think your question was answered several times. If you wanted genuinely helpful responses a thread along the lines of ‘I missed two months employment off my CV and now it looks like my new employer is going to find out. What’s the best way to handle it?’ might have been a better bet.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,744 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

Stop throwing your toys out of the pram. That isn't what you asked at all and the vast majority of people have been helpful on this thread. This isn't a data protection issue anyway, they haven't leaked any data.

If you want the job then give them the info they want. If you don't want the job then don't. It really is that simple.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure