MSE News: Four out of 10 people in the UK now use mobile banking apps, logging in 275 times a year

Comments

• Cash-Strapped.T32
    Cash-Strapped.T32 Posts: 562
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 23 May 2018 at 11:02AM
    It took me a few years of regular online banking before I used apps regularly, but now I do most things via the app, and I will check it a few times per week because to keep to my savings goals I like to run my current account as slim as possible and strip out as much as I can into savings.

Then again, "most things" covers the routine transfers that make up the majority of my transactions, leaving the browser-based online banking for more unusual stuff like setting up new payees, etc.

My Lisa provider have an app, but I can't use it on my phone (it cries and takes it's ball home because I use a custom ROM on my phone) so I'm restricted to using the desktop for my LISA.

My S&S ISA provider don't have an app.
    One of my cash-savings banks don't have an app.

So really if I'm being honest, I only use the Natwest app because that's where my current acct and a small amount of cash savings resides - for the majority of my accounts I still have to use desktop-based online banking - but then again the larger amount of actual transactions is done via the app because it's the everyday stuff that I do via app and by definition there's more of those transactions.

*EDIT* Back in the days before you could do everything online I just never went into branch or went to find a cash machine - I had no idea of what money I had, and pretty much guessed how much month would be left come the end of my wages.

For me, being able to do things online - at home, with time to think, to plan and to make decisions, with the wider internet available to research those decisions - instead of having to take a half hour bus to town, find a branch still open, then queue up for ages & try to plan out my life in the few minutes I'm stood at a bank window or at a cash machine on a street corner - is what made the difference between having control of my finances and being utterly at the mercy of events, so as far as I'm concerned it's an unadulterated good.
  • aj23_2
    aj23_2 Posts: 1,155
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 23 May 2018 at 1:46PM
    eskbanker wrote: »
    aj23, what do you believe gives you the right to project your own preferences and prejudices onto others?

As far as I'm concerned, each to their own, those who prefer online or app banking will carry on doing so (as frequently as they wish) and those who prefer branches are unlikely to change their minds, but for the latter group to portray themselves sanctimoniously as being on some sort of noble crusade to save jobs is laughable!

Each to their own, absolutely. I'm just stating facts. More people choosing to do online because they 'haven't got time' is having an effect on branches and thus people losing their jobs. You can't deny it doesn't impact unemployment, as there aren't other branches for them to go to.

Doesn't just apply to banking. Look at Toys R Us, Mothercare, CarpetRight, Marks and Spencer. Age of online is killing off shops and thus all the people that work in the stores. People survived before online banking. Soon no one will leave their houses. You've said yourself about RBS closing 600 branches and the HBOS Group closing hundreds. Do you seriously think all those of employees found another job in their line of work. Of course not, because they have been closed.

You seem to forget that other people don't mind putting their beliefs and and prejudices on me, telling me how I do things are 'wrong' or 'old fashioned,' so there is a lot of double standard here. I could say what do you believe gives you the right to say that I don't have a right to state simple facts and give my opinion. If you re-read what I wrote, I didn't actually tell anyone to stop how they do what they do and copy me instead....
  • aj23_2
    Forumite
    karlie88 wrote: »
    Cheers for the :rotfl: I will carry on as I do. Times are changing. Mobile banking will only get more popular. More branches will close. I'm afraid you'll have to accept that. :)

You can carry on. I didn't tell you not to. Just don't moan when your taxes get hiked in order to help provides support for the people made redundant according to yours and others choices.

It's 2018 and 6 in 10 people still don't use mobile apps or bank online. Branches always have people in them at the counter. Times aren't changing as much as you think. Especially in like the TSB scandal. You wouldn't be loving it so much if it happened to you, of which it is far more likely for you.
  • karlie88
    karlie88 Posts: 9,113
    Forumite
    aj23 wrote: »
    You can carry on. I didn't tell you not to. Just don't moan when your taxes get hiked in order to help provides support for the people made redundant according to yours and others choices.

It's 2018 and 6 in 10 people still don't use mobile apps or bank online. Branches always have people in them at the counter. Times aren't changing as much as you think. Especially in like the TSB scandal. You wouldn't be loving it so much if it happened to you, of which it is far more likely for you.

It's actually about 3 in 10 people according to the MSE article. But we will ignore the fact that you didn't read the article properly.

As you have a bee in your bonnet against those who do online banking and/or mobile banking, here are some advantages:

- creates more jobs in the banks' IT departments and 3rd party IT security companies
    - more convenient, you can access accounts 24/7, 365 days a year and do many functions
    - saves the customer money, no need to pay for fuel, parking, bus/train tickets to visit a branch.
    - saves the customer time. 30 seconds to check a mobile banking app vs. 5+ minutes to visit a branch, queue up etc.

Anyhow, good luck on your crusade against the online/mobile banking revolution. :D
    :grouphug: :D Official MSE canny forumite and HUKD VIP badge member :D :grouphug:
  • aj23_2
    Forumite
    It's actually about 3 in 10 people according to the MSE article. But we will ignore the fact that you didn't read the article properly.

As you have a bee in your bonnet against those who do online banking and/or mobile banking, here are some advantages:

- creates more jobs in the banks' IT departments and 3rd party IT security companies
    - more convenient, you can access accounts 24/7, 365 days a year and do many functions
    - saves the customer money, no need to pay for fuel, parking, bus/train tickets to visit a branch.
    - saves the customer time. 30 seconds to check a mobile banking app vs. 5+ minutes to visit a branch, queue up etc.

Anyhow, good luck on your crusade against the online/mobile banking revolution. :D

The tagline says 4 in 10 do, so it's not difficult to work out that 6 in 10 do not.

If you net off the job losses against the job creation in different areas, then the difference is negligible. Your theory assumes that anyone made redundant finds another job in the same role or similar, which ins't the case.

Who needs 24/7 access 365 days a year. Do you really make that many transactions that you aren't sure are trusted to go through safely online that you need to check that often? I survive without using it perfectly well. I don't need to log on every few hours to check that nothing has changed.

I don't drive into town, thus don't pay to park (even though you can park for free in lots of places). You're trying to invent scenarios which for a lot don't exist. If you want to be a hermit in your house that's your prerogative. Others like to actually get out of their four walls and be socially interactive.

I don't go to a branch just to check a balance. Again, you're trying to make it sound more laborious than it even is. Sounds like you're on a crusade.
  • karlie88
    karlie88 Posts: 9,113
    Forumite
    The tagline says 4 in 10 do, so it's not difficult to work out that 6 in 10 do not.

If you net off the job losses against the job creation in different areas, then the difference is negligible. Your theory assumes that anyone made redundant finds another job in the same role or similar, which ins't the case.

Who needs 24/7 access 365 days a year. Do you really make that many transactions that you aren't sure are trusted to go through safely online that you need to check that often? I survive without using it perfectly well. I don't need to log on every few hours to check that nothing has changed.

I don't drive into town, thus don't pay to park (even though you can park for free in lots of places). You're trying to invent scenarios which for a lot don't exist. If you want to be a hermit in your house that's your prerogative. Others like to actually get out of their four walls and be socially interactive.

I don't go to a branch just to check a balance. Again, you're trying to make it sound more laborious than it even is. Sounds like you're on a crusade.

:rotfl:

Keep 'em coming.
    :grouphug: :D Official MSE canny forumite and HUKD VIP badge member :D :grouphug:
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,401
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Each to their own, absolutely. I'm just stating facts.
    No you're not, you've gone some way beyond that by describing people monitoring accounts daily as 'ridiculous' and 'pathetic'.
    More people choosing to do online because they 'haven't got time' is having an effect on branches and thus people losing their jobs. You can't deny it doesn't impact unemployment, as there aren't other branches for them to go to.

Doesn't just apply to banking. Look at Toys R Us, Mothercare, CarpetRight, Marks and Spencer. Age of online is killing off shops and thus all the people that work in the stores. People survived before online banking. Soon no one will leave their houses. You've said yourself about RBS closing 600 branches and the HBOS Group closing hundreds. Do you seriously think all those of employees found another job in their line of work. Of course not, because they have been closed.
    Nobody's denying that branch staff will be losing jobs when branches close, but in order for the banks to provide the alternative channels there will be plenty of additional employment in call centres, web programming, server hosting, upgrade testing (lol), etc, etc.

But fundamentally it's a facile argument to accuse online/app banking users of causing unemployment as you could say the same about any form of human progress:

Buying food from a supermarket? How dare you close down the high street greengrocer and fishmonger?

Watching TV? Just think of all those unemployed cinema projectionists and usherettes.

Driving a car? What about all those blacksmiths without horses to hoove anymore?

Self-serve petrol pumps, well I'm sure you get the picture by now....
    You seem to forget that other people don't mind putting their beliefs and and prejudices on me, telling me how I do things are 'wrong' or 'old fashioned,' so there is a lot of double standard here.
    Who called you 'wrong' for using bank branches? 'Old-fashioned' maybe, in the factual sense that it used to be the only way possible and now there are numerous alternatives that many find more convenient, but hardly in the same league as telling others to 'get a life'.
    I could say what do you believe gives you the right to say that I don't have a right to state simple facts and give my opinion. If you re-read what I wrote, I didn't actually tell anyone to stop how they do what they do and copy me instead....
    I didn't say you told anyone to stop, but as above was simply highlighting that you seem to consider it appropriate to insult those who choose not to adopt your King Canute approach....
  • aj23_2
    Forumite
    :rotfl:

Keep 'em coming.

You can't even answer what I said ha
  • AirlieBird
    AirlieBird Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    It's 2018 and 6 in 10 people still don't use mobile apps or bank online.
    The report states "UK Finance research shows that 71 per cent of adults in the UK used online banking in 2017, representing over 38 million people, a figure which is still growing.". So how does 71% of adults equate to 6 in 10 people not using online banking?
    Did you really mean to put loose?
    Lose: no longer possess, not to retain, unable to find
    Loose: not firmly or tightly fixed in place
  • aj23_2
    Forumite
    eskbanker wrote: »
    No you're not, you've gone some way beyond that by describing people monitoring accounts daily as 'ridiculous' and 'pathetic'.

Nobody's denying that branch staff will be losing jobs when branches close, but in order for the banks to provide the alternative channels there will be plenty of additional employment in call centres, web programming, server hosting, upgrade testing (lol), etc, etc.

But fundamentally it's a facile argument to accuse online/app banking users of causing unemployment as you could say the same about any form of human progress:

Buying food from a supermarket? How dare you close down the high street greengrocer and fishmonger?

Watching TV? Just think of all those unemployed cinema projectionists and usherettes.

Driving a car? What about all those blacksmiths without horses to hoove anymore?

Self-serve petrol pumps, well I'm sure you get the picture by now....

Who called you 'wrong' for using bank branches? 'Old-fashioned' maybe, in the factual sense that it used to be the only way possible and now there are numerous alternatives that many find more convenient, but hardly in the same league as telling others to 'get a life'.

I didn't say you told anyone to stop, but as above was simply highlighting that you seem to consider it appropriate to insult those who choose not to adopt your King Canute approach....

I haven't seen you defending me when others have said the exact same things and going even further to say I should change my methods of transaction and banking, so I really don't care. I'm allowed my opinion, as you yours, but if you don't like mine, then that's cool, but I don't need to be troubled by it.

Yep, I agree. Supermarkets are no longer just for food. They are phone providers, insurers, banks, clothes suppliers, electrical suppliers. They have had affect on independents and high streets too. I only buy food in a supermarket. I buy toiletries in Boots (Hello, advantage card and the abundance of points). If I can't buy something in store, then I will buy it online. See, I practice what I preach.

TV is different. You can't watch a new release on the TV. You have to pay to go to a cinema if you want to see it. And actually, having two degrees in film, there is still a projectionist up in the projection room, but he just doesn't have as much to do now, considering it's digital. There is still someone in the room for the entire time of the screening in case of technically glitches, pressing playing etc.

There wouldn't be enough horses for horse and card anyway with our population. The commercial plane virtually killed off the cruise liner, same analogy. But that's development in travel for you.

I don't use self serve petrol pumps. And they aren't self serve, as you still have to pick up the pump. I think you mean self pay.

I don't find online more convenient. The term 'old fashioned' is only used by those to infer contemporary superiority on others who don't do things the same. Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it, like I've been told there is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure