PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Thursday 19th September 2019

Options
nmlc
nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 19 September 2019 at 6:45AM in Old style MoneySaving
O/S Daily Thursday 19th September 2019

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

taff - sorry to hear your news, thinking of you and your family x

Hugs to those that want/need them, those who are poorly and those who are looking after a poorly person x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Now light, but air a bit chilly, but forecast is good, was a lovely day yesterday, I will peg as much washing out to line dry as possible.

DH up and getting ready for work, DS1 still in his pit, I'm showered, dressed and enjoying my first cuppa and my porridge whilst on here. DS2 settled and ok.

Dinner last night was beef stew and dumplings, mash, LO veg, LO yorkshires and brocolli - stew wasn't as flavoursome as usual but made gravy a different way so will go back to the old way next time. Not sure what we're having tonight but I'm now on days' off so have the usual "to do" list - but it starts with following DS1 to the garage and giving him a lift back home as his car is booked in for a service and MOT. I'll then be heading off to do my jobs.

Yesterday work was quiet, although we had a while where everyone came in at once and several people did then have to wait to be seen. I'm now working Saturday as someone else needed their shift covered.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB

Comments

• dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone :hello:

Thank you nmlc for starting us off today xx

Taff, I was so sorry to read your news about your dad. Sending you copious amounts of cwtches. Try to take some time for yourself as well xx

It's too early to see what the weather is doing, I am going to guess that it is going to be another nice day though I am finding it a little chilly in the evenings. I try not to put the heating on until the end of next month and there are loads of blankets in the living room to snuggle under if necessary.

I still have loads of washing to do today so as soon as Lee gets up I will get him to bring it all down for me to put in the machine.

Lee made a lovely vegetable stir fry in college yesterday and brought it home for me to have for my dinner. It was delicious and surprisingly filling. Everyone else had sausages, beans and mash. I think I got the better deal :rotfl:

The nurse came yesterday to change my dressing. She is not very happy with my wound and took some photos of it to share with the other nurses involved in my care. I have been up for a few hours in the night with pain and to be honest it is starting to affect my mood for the worse. I don't want to rely on painkillers so I am just struggling on.

My poor eldest daughter has had a horrible week so far. Her partner got a bill from Council Tax from years ago and was told he had to pay it now or face prison. He managed to sort out a payment plan with them, then their car went and failed it's MOT so that is another lump sum to pay out and finally her husband walked out of his 3rd job in three weeks as according to him they talked to him like he was dirt. He is looking for yet another job now and she is working all the overtime she can get. I really worry about her as she is so depressed and now she is exhausted too. We are having the grandchildren as much as we are needed to but there is not much more we can do. This is giving me sleepless nights too.

Steve has asked for pie and chips for dinner tonight so I am waiting for a shopping delivery this morning. Lee and Phoebe will help to bring it in and put it away for me. It's not due for another few hours so at least they will get a bit of a lie in.

Right, I am off to make a cuppa, hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xx
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,032 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning everyone.

Not such a good time dumpling - so sorry to read about your family. So,etimes it feels like life is so unfair. I really hope things work out soon.

Taff - please make sure you have some breathing space this week. All those arrangements can be very strength-sapping.

DM was so chuffed with herself yesterday, mind you so was I! It gives me some tiny hope for the future a couple of months ago the outlook was so bleak. Long may this progress last.

Today is DM's cleaning woman. She's having an op on one of her feet next week (unless it's cancelled) so will be off for about eight weeks. :( Later on this afternoon DN is having a visitor so there's a tea tray to sort out. Visitors really cheer her up so it's worth the effort.

My thoughts are with those struggling. Happy Thursday to all.
  • Hollyharvey
    Options
    Morning everyone

I’m volunteering this morning and then getting the train to the next big town with one of the other volunteers there to do some shopping. We are going to have late lunch/early dinner as she has got a voucher for a pub that has recently reopened after a refurbishment, so that will be good.

As it is sunny I’ve got the bedding stripped and on the line, that should be dry when I get home this evening and can go straight back on the bed when I get in.

I’ve decided that I need to wash all of my summer clothes over the weekend and put most of them away. I’ve started to get some of my warmer clothes out now and I’m running out of space.

Gers good news about your mum making a meal for herself, hopefully things will get better for you both now.

Dumpling sorry to hear about your eldest daughter, I'm not surprised that you are worried about them. I hope that they are able to find something to help with your legs.

Taff take care of yourself, all of this running around can take it out of you.

Thinking of everyone who is struggling at the moment. x

I hope that you all have a good day xx
  • ScarletRibbons
    Options
    Good morning, and thanks NMLC

It's fine here, a bit chilly, but still nice.

Dumpling, sorry to hear about your family problems - it's so worrying when you can't do much to help. I would be having sleepless nights too, though we know it doesn't help. The thoughts just go round and round.

Your Mum is doing very well Gers, and you've given her so much help and encouragement, I think you need a pat on the back too.

Taff, thinking of you, take care of yourself as well.

Camelot, hope Mum and baby are ok.

We started tidying plants yesterday for the winter. I've split some containers of bulbs, into other containers, and puled up some summer stuff that was on its way out. Also planted a hydrangea in the garden, I like hydrangeas, and they do well in our north facing garden,

More of the same today.

Hope everyone has as good a day as they can.
    Take care folks xx
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Morning :hello: [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]taff So sorry about your dad x Thinking of you xx[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I was getting more and more annoyed with my clothes – if I wear something for just a couple of hours then get changed, I like to be able to hang it on a hook to wear again tomorrow. Most of my tops had no loops so I spent a couple of hours sat on the sofa yesterday, sewing bits of ribbon into the back of shirts and t-shirts. I haven't worn any of them yet, but hung one on a hook just because I could :D[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The shopping is coming later so I need to organise the fridge and freezer to make sure everything fits :D I've spaced my shopping days out a bit, I got it wrong the first few times and run out of a few things but I seem to have it right now. I used to buy once a week, I'm now buying three times a month and I'm aiming for twice a month.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]My yarn has arrived so I'll carry on with my blue and cream blanket later. I also ordered red, green and white so I'll see if I can come up with something Christmassy.[/FONT]
    Bulletproof
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Morning everyone,

I visited the gym quickly after work yesterday and got home to catch up on the GBBO, have a call with my step-dad and then nod off to bed relatively early.

I've been to the gym this morning which leaves my evening free for watching the football, so I'll plan on leaving work at a reasonable time. I've also got my weekly catch up with my gran, who is on the mend thankfully. I always look forward to our chats, which often last well over an hour taking about everything and nothing. I think she's planning on visiting with my mum in a few weeks, so it'll be nice to see her again.

taff - I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad. My condolences to you and your family.
    Dumpling - Sounds like your eldest and her husband are going through some tough times. When it rains it pours. Hope things improve soon.
    Gers - I'm really happy to hear you so positive and optimistic.
    HH - Good on you for volunteering. What sort of work is it? I hope it's not too laborious for you!!
  • RosyRed
    RosyRed Posts: 3,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning all,
    It was really foggy here this morning,just starting to lift.It took us ages to take DGS to school,over an hour there and back - I think there had been a couple of car accidents on the main roads.He seems to be settling in a bit better now in Yr 1 and walked into the cloakroom without any cajoling :)
    I'm going to clean the living room carpet afterwards. The machine is a bit noisy & DS1 is out so it's a good time to do it.I've already done the rug in there to test it when the machine arrived on Tuesday ( very impressed with argoose- only ordered it in the morning and it was delivered free the same afternoon,& free 2 yr guarantee- 2 other places wanted an extra nearly 30 quid :eek:
    Dumpling-have a huge hug xx
    Gers have a pat on the back :T
    Better go and sort something for tea and I want to do some cardmaking this afternoon - have a good day folks xx
    :heartsmil 'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 19 September 2019 at 6:28PM
    Options
    Good evening chums last night of my short break in Devon and our Margaret and I have been so lucky with the weather .its been gloriously sunny all week.Nice hotel good food and spotlessly clean and jolly good value for money we thought with two trips out during the week and a 'free' day today so we got the local bus from Torquay to Paignton and sat on the pier with a bag of chips and an ice cream for lunch .Payment courtesy of the £10 win we shared on the little hotel bingo game last night :)I am not one much for bingo but it was only on before the quiz (we came second in that one :)) and for a pound we thought we would have a go, and won a line so that paid for todays light naughty lunch :)

I have kept Margaret laughing and we have had lots of chuckles over some of our fellow guests.We both found it odd that some of the older folk ,and indeed some younger than us I'm mid seventies and she is 83 seem to look so miserable and grumpy and seemed to be always complaining.We have a delightful young Polish lass who is our waitress, and boy does that little lass work
    She never seems to stop running around after folk .One very grumpy and quite 'posh' woman was so rude to her last night, and was complaining because her pot of coffee hadn't arrived.I felt really sorry and embarrassed for this poor kid, she was doing her best to serve about 15 tables on her own bless her .Margaret and I said we would give her a nice tip tonight after dinner as she really is a grafter.

There is definitely nowt so queer as folk and we have seen some real grouches this week.But we have enjoyed our inexpensive week, and will possibly do another trip hopefully before Christmas .
    Margaret wanted to revisit Devon,as her and her late OH Frank would go there often on holiday, and its the first time she's been there since she lost him last year, so it was a bit of a 'memory lane' week for her but I kept her spirits up I think and kept her laughing as much as I could .

Home tomorrow, and on Saturday I will be taking DGS Jack back to Uni in Hertfordshire. The following weekend I will be taking DGS Henry to his Uni in Essex so I will be down to only one DGS Mikey left to keep an eye on .

But no doubt I will be kept busy as Christmas will be looming so I may this year for a change make a nice Christmas cake as I will have a bit more time on my hands for a change ,I like to 'feed' it for a few weeks before putting the marzipan and icing on.

I really don't know where this year has vanished to I swear time is going faster the older I get.

Taff just read about your loss,my condolences to you and your family .Do take a bit of time to have some 'me' time and allow yourself time to grieve, but also make sure you eat properly if you can to keep your strength up as you will need it in the coming weeks ahead

Right its almost time for dinner so I'll say cheerio until I am back home at some point tomorrow
    Take care all

JackieO xx
  • I_Love_comps
    I_Love_comps Posts: 2,295 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper
    Options
    Just read your news taff thinking of you and your family at this very sad time
    I am a Senior Ambassador on the Competitions Time Board and the Old Style MoneySaving Board.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators.  Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

My Diary Link My Frugal Year 2023 My Frugal Year 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum

My Challenges
    Make £2023 in 2023. £3.16/£2023 Make £2023 in 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum
    Compers Challenge 2023 0 Wins Compers challenge 2023! — MoneySavingExpert Forum

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure