Monzo

Hi
Does anyone know how Monzo works?

Are there charges if I withdraw abroad/Pay for items abroad?

Daughters going Copenhagen and have decided to use this App to pay for their stay just want to know it’s safe
Thanks in advance 👍

Comments

• There are no Monzo charges for using the card abroad but withdrawing cash may attract local charges depending on the bank or ATM being used.
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    https://monzo.com/features/travel/

Also remember you can just withdraw up to £200 every 30 days for free, after that there are fees
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,573 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I've been using Monzo since they began three years ago, although not so much these days. It works fine, it's a real bank with FSCS protection, I've no complaints.

When the card is used overseas conversion is at the ideal MasterCard rate with zero fees, except 3% on ATM withdrawals in excess of £200/month. But in Denmark everything can be paid by card, cash is unnecessary.

Take backup just in case of loss or decline, even if that's a regular bank card with fees.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • IvanDP
    IvanDP Posts: 231 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    kellyswon wrote: »
    Hi
    Daughters going Copenhagen and have decided to use this App to pay for their stay just want to know it’s safe
    Thanks in advance 👍

In Copenhagen, cards are the norm and there is little or no need to carry any cash.
    Just have a back up source of payment and you will have no problems at all.
  • Also remember you can just withdraw up to £200 every 30 days for free, after that there are fees

Starling is a better deal - no "monthly" limit before fees apply for cash withdrawals in foreign curreny at ATMs abroad.
  • ANDY597
    ANDY597 Posts: 430 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    I have both starling and Monzo and I'd recommend both of them.

Starling as noted pips it for foreign travel but in terms of the app, my opinion is Monzo is nicer and easier to navigate around. Perhaps I'm just more in the comfort zone with that one.

Customer service from Monzo has also been excellent and id seriously consider using them for my main bank account.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Monzo and Starling along with Halifax Clarity card (these 3 cards you get the Mastercard rate FX) are now my 2 cards for spending abroad, there's no exchange rate fees or no hidden charges. I recently used Monese and N26 abroad but imo not as good as the 3 I mentioned.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure