PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Is your heating ON or OFF?

Comments

• Seems to be quite chilly outside at night but warm once the sun comes out. I wore my new winter puffy jacket walking to work at 7am, lovely & warm despite there being a bit of frost on some cars. I was roasting walking home at 5pm tho!

CH still off & thermostat still set to 10c. The house just does not feel cold during the day. I've given my bedroom 1.5kw fan heater a bit of a blast in the early morning but only for about 15 mins max. Summer duvet still on the bed with a blanket over it.

My electric shower is also still plenty hot & powerful enough & I've not had to tweak the heat setting up - that's my measure of "winter has arrived", when the electric shower needs to be set to high & the flow rate drops to a measly dribble!
  • Hi,

Mine is off as I haven't felt the need for it yet. It will be on as soon as I feel uncomfortably cool whatever the date. I believe in setting the heating based on my level of comfort rather than the calendar.

CB
    1/10/2015 Debt Free
    1/1/2018 Mortgage Free
    Now saving for early retirement
  • Topher
    Topher Posts: 640 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 19 September 2019 at 9:51AM
    Still off & the aim is to keep it off until the end of October but it is starting to test my resolve. Second hand & bargain pure wool blankets are in a basket at the ready (Yorkshire and Welsh wool only my dear!), the thermal underwear & winter socks have come out of summer storage, the mini oil filled radiator has been swapped out for the floor standing fan, we're still managing with the 4,5 tog quilt and a fleece blanket (which went on last month), but we've a few togs to go yet. Fleece under blanket and electric blankets are now in use, but the heating has stayed off, and the real fire remains unlit. So a big ole' pat on the back for me, but I am sooooo tempted.
    Oh, and the condensation from the children's mouths being visible ..........? That's a badge of honour to be recalled in later years don't let it sway you.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Shorts and T shirt weather in the garden today so a few more pennies saved and 4.5 duvet still in bed. OH walking round house in the middle of the night trying to cool off!
    Making the most of it while it lasts!
  • No heating on here yet, but we only had it on once last winter :D

We do have two very good wood burners which we installed last year as we have our own supply of wood. The larger one (kitchen) we only used occasionally, but iirc the one in our snug was lit every evening between Oct and March.

A couple of weeks ago on a chilly evening we lit the snug wood burner but even though our stone cottage is quite cool due to the 2' + thick walls, we've no plans to light it again till well into October, as it got way too hot very quickly. Instead we'll put on an extra woolly jumper/wrap up in a faux fur throw or woollen blanket if needs be ;)
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We didn't have our heating on at all last winter. We just lit the multi fuel stove when it was cold and it heated the house well and saved us a fortune as we are on heating oil and it's soooo expensive so we never refilled it when we ran out and we didn't really need it.

It was frosty this morning and now it's boiling!
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • very warm here, still got just a sheet and thin cotton blanket on the bed. I had to take the light duvet off in the middle of the night last week. No ch but I did do a test run last week and the service was done today. I am all set
  • For the past week or two it's been quite chilly overnight, but lovely & warm during the day. I've been wearing a puffy coat to work in the morning, when there's even been a slight frost, & then carrying it home in my rucksack at 5pm.
    Some gorgeous red sunsets, as well.

The thermostat has been turned up to 18c, so I'll see if it comes on in the morning. It certainly hasn't tonight & the house seems to be staying at a constant 19c despite the night time temps.

Electric shower still hasn't started struggling with a low incoming water temp, so it must be warm.
    I'm oddly looking forward to Autumn/Winter & the colder, crisp air.
  • JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Well, technically it's in but only because we never turn it off. Thermostat keeps the house at 15 degrees at night and 19 degrees during the day...it has yet to kick in.
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £131 of £366
  • JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Oh..forgot to mention the summer duvet..that will probably be on until mid December.
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £131 of £366
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure