Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Craig-W
    • By Craig-W 18th Sep 19, 8:35 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Craig-W
    Default showing as 60 missed payments on TransUnion/Callcredit
    • 18th Sep 19, 8:35 PM
    Default showing as 60 missed payments on TransUnion/Callcredit 18th Sep 19 at 8:35 PM
    5 years ago I had an account go into default.

I came to an agreement with the creditor to pay the full amount owed via direct debit at 99 per month.

I've done this and never missed a payment.

Equifax and Experian show this as a closed account (closed at the time it went into default, May 2014) and now settled (in June this year). So next May it drops completely off my record, when it's six years old.

TransUnion/CallCredit is also showing it as defaulted in May 2014, but is still classing it as an open account - and has recorded 60 missed payments against it, despite the balance reducing by 99 every single month.

These 'missed payments' will stay on my record for six years, and according to Totally Money are having a high impact on my credit rating. So, with that agency, the original 2014 default will still be affecting my credit 11 years after the default date. That can't be right can it?

I sent in a dispute explaining this a couple of weeks ago, but they've dismissed it saying the creditor has confirmed the data.

I've contacted the creditor about it - but is there anything else I can do? Or anything I can do if they won't change it?
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 18th Sep 19, 8:41 PM
    • 23,842 Posts
    • 26,515 Thanks
    zx81
    • 18th Sep 19, 8:41 PM
    • 18th Sep 19, 8:41 PM
    No, that not right. It will drop off 6 years from the initial default.

It's the default that is impacting your credit history, not any subsequent markers.

You don't need to do anything else apart from ensuring it's shown as settled.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 18th Sep 19, 8:54 PM
    • 6,586 Posts
    • 4,412 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 18th Sep 19, 8:54 PM
    • 18th Sep 19, 8:54 PM
    Leave it as it is.
    Be grateful they haven’t marked it as an arrangement.
    • Craig-W
    • By Craig-W 18th Sep 19, 9:14 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Craig-W
    • 18th Sep 19, 9:14 PM
    • 18th Sep 19, 9:14 PM
    OK, it's just that it's confusing that Totally Money is saying that these 60 missed payments are wrecking my credit score - and not mentioning the default.

And with TransUnion showing it as an open account with missed payments right up until recently, and not as an account that was closed 5 years ago (and no missed payments since then) like the other two agencies are - I'm concerned that it won't actually drop off next year like it should and will hang around for another 5 years after that.
    • Craig-W
    • By Craig-W 18th Sep 19, 9:40 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Craig-W
    • 18th Sep 19, 9:40 PM
    • 18th Sep 19, 9:40 PM
    Right, having now just read the sticky on how long accounts last for - I now get it.

Regardless of how they are reporting it now, that account (including any reported missed payments, whether they're right or wrong) will all just disappear completely off my record next May, the six year anniversary of the default date.

So just ignore any weirdness that TransUnion are doing and let it drop off.

Thanks for the replies - appreciate it.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 18th Sep 19, 10:36 PM
    • 6,586 Posts
    • 4,412 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 18th Sep 19, 10:36 PM
    • 18th Sep 19, 10:36 PM
    Yes.
    And likewise ignore the “score”
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

530Posts Today

5,849Users online

Martin's Twitter