Plotting for an early retirement - anyone want to join me?

Comments

• MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,611 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I have qualifications in horticulture and garden design so I am hoping that I might find some summer work related to that if wanted/needed. I have no interest in digging people's gardens for peanut rates!
    I have certainly seen local part time contracts advertised here that could use my skills (but not afford my usual rates) - if it was a charity or good cause I would be up for that sort of thing.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • bugslett
    bugslett Posts: 416 Forumite
    Great. Enjoy your holidays and retirement!

I changed jobs recently and although I knew I was going to a better job I struggled with the emotional side of parting ties with people I'd worked with for years.
    When you think about it many of us spend far more time with colleagues than we do with anyone else.

I'm the odd one out (again), not only did I not work in IT and frankly have no idea what GazHol and nigelbb were talking about:o, I havent really missed anyone. Apart from my financial manager, I only saw the rest of my staff very I frequently and usually only for 10 minutes when I did. There are a couple of customers that I had good conversations with, but other than that it's not been a backward glance.
    JoeCrystal wrote: »
    There is a possible halfway choice. Since every permanent job I did in the past was starting as a temporary casual. I always thought that to top up my income if I retire was to find a casual job during Xmas time, plenty around like Royal Mail or in Manufacturing sectors. Since it is a temporary job, there is no surprise once they let you go at the end of the contract, although it is hard to avoid disappointment. So that is my plan in order to work sometime. The thought of retirement with no work terrifies me actually.

I cant say dont worry because I dont know you, but I'm 7 weeks into retirement and it feels like i left work 7 years ago. Theres stuff i wanted to do in September which I'm already putting back to October. I'd say the first two weeks were discombobulating be cause it felt like an at home holiday, but I knew I wasnt returning to work.

I have ended up with a big project earlier than I anticipated, but I've been looking at narrowboats for 35 years, so when I saw one that I thought was the one, I didnt waste time!:D
    Yes I'm bugslet, I lost my original log in details and old e-mail address.
  • barnstar2077
    barnstar2077 Posts: 1,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    bugslett wrote: »
    I'm the odd one out (again), not only did I not work in IT and frankly have no idea what GazHol and nigelbb were talking about:o, I havent really missed anyone. Apart from my financial manager, I only saw the rest of my staff very I frequently and usually only for 10 minutes when I did. There are a couple of customers that I had good conversations with, but other than that it's not been a backward glance.

I cant say dont worry because I dont know you, but I'm 7 weeks into retirement and it feels like i left work 7 years ago. Theres stuff i wanted to do in September which I'm already putting back to October. I'd say the first two weeks were discombobulating be cause it felt like an at home holiday, but I knew I wasnt returning to work.

I have ended up with a big project earlier than I anticipated, but I've been looking at narrowboats for 35 years, so when I saw one that I thought was the one, I didnt waste time!:D

I am so jealous. Let us know how you get on with the boat!
    Think first of your goal, then make it happen!
  • bugslett
    bugslett Posts: 416 Forumite
    I am so jealous. Let us know how you get on with the boat!

You'll soon be begging me not to bore you all to death!
    Yes I'm bugslet, I lost my original log in details and old e-mail address.
  • JohnnyJet
    JohnnyJet Posts: 297 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 August 2019 at 10:51PM
    JoeCrystal wrote: »
    There is a possible halfway choice. Since every permanent job I did in the past was starting as a temporary casual. I always thought that to top up my income if I retire was to find a casual job during Xmas time, plenty around like Royal Mail or in Manufacturing sectors. Since it is a temporary job, there is no surprise once they let you go at the end of the contract, although it is hard to avoid disappointment. So that is my plan in order to work sometime. The thought of retirement with no work terrifies me actually.

I've never really considered temporary work, I like the sound of that. Without the pressure of having to find a job it may actually be quite exciting searching for random positions and only for a few months a year. I have been planning for 55 and also considered going part time a few years earlier, but from my calculations this would mean having to work for at least another 5 years before I could fully retire. I'm In agreement with Lisyloo and would rather work an extra 2 years full time than have to work at least 5 years part time.
  • JoeEngland
    JoeEngland Posts: 445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    lisyloo wrote: »
    Well it’s an idea, but I’d still rather do my job for 3 times the pay (and more importantly 1/3rd time) that pick boxes at Argos.
    I thought the point was to do things you love like maybe walking dogs.

There are loads of things on offer if you don’t want to be paid but you are more in control of your hours and stopping when you want. Examples are

Dog walking (if you like dogs of course)
    Some kind of volunteer charity work (I fancy helping old soldiers claim their benefits).
    Walking horses for the disabled
    Community project e.g. building carnival floats
    Soup kitchen for the homeless.
    Drive old people or disabled people around.
    Become a befriended e.g. just read to someone in a nursing home.

Plenty of things that would give deep meaning, help people, be enjoyable and possibly add some physical activity without the drudgery of the daily grind.

You can get paid for dog walking.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,611 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You can but you need things like liability insurance so it is probably not a great fit for part time work. On the other hand if you just fancy spending time in the outdoors with a dog, without the commitment of ownership, then it might be a way to go.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • cfw1994
    cfw1994 Posts: 1,872 Forumite
    Hung up my suit! First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    MallyGirl wrote: »
    You can but you need things like liability insurance so it is probably not a great fit for part time work. On the other hand if you just fancy spending time in the outdoors with a dog, without the commitment of ownership, then it might be a way to go.

My daughter has used https://www.borrowmydoggy.com to get her fix of doggos (family allergies mean we’ve never had one)....
    Worked well for her and a pal!
    Plan for tomorrow, enjoy today!
  • Anonymous101
    Anonymous101 Posts: 1,869 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    MallyGirl wrote: »

I'm not sure about where you live but around here there are lots and lots of doggy daycare and dog walking businesses. I know several people that work for these in various roles.

Perhaps something like that part-time would be suitable? It would provide relaxed employment and negate the need to worry about the insurance side of things since you'd be covered under the business.
  • Andyed201
    Andyed201 Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    lisyloo wrote: »
    There are loads of things on offer if you don’t want to be paid but you are more in control of your hours and stopping when you want. Examples are

Dog walking (if you like dogs of course)
    Some kind of volunteer charity work (I fancy helping old soldiers claim their benefits).
    Walking horses for the disabled
    Community project e.g. building carnival floats
    Soup kitchen for the homeless.
    Drive old people or disabled people around.
    Become a befriended e.g. just read to someone in a nursing home.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "doing something you love". What I mean is that I loved doing the job I did 10 years ago. Since then I have been promoted several times, so make more money, but don't do that job any longer. I do budgets, and appraisals and meetings and conferences and things like that. Its well paid, but dull and not the actual work that I really loved. So when I hit my number, I am going to go and get a job that pays a third of what I do at my level, but is back doing the work I really enjoyed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback