When does Christmas begin for you?

124»

Comments

• dan958
    dan958 Posts: 770 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    About a week before Christmas, I break out all the Hallmark Christmas movies then (y'know, the ones with the exact same plotline)
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    17th Dec @ LHR :)
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • aimeemum
    aimeemum Posts: 687 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    30th November....when I put together the 1st December Advent box for the kids, dig our elf out from the loft along with his 'magic box' that brings their treats, and put out the first couple of decorations. I like it to be instant Christmas on the 1st lol. We don't put our tree up until the 2nd Saturday but a few things do make an appearance from the 1st.
    Changing my Family's Future!! - Starting again!!!!
    Current Progress -
    Debt - Start date 31/8/22 = £7,252.78
    Savings 31/8/22 - £0
    plus £1000 EF - £0/£1000 = 0%
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Christmas Eve, listening to the Carol Service from Kings College, Cambridge. And it ends when Boxing Day is over when I itch to take down the tree and Christmas cards but my husband won,t let me !
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    About 08:30am 25th December like most other normal people.
  • Tree and decs go up usually second week of December. Then once I finish work (this year on the 20th) I go into full Christmas mode! :)

I'm lucky in that I get 2 weeks off, but hubby is working most of it, so I will be on my own with our daughter, but my mum and dad come and stay which is lovely
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,270 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 17 November 2019 at 5:26PM
    Our Christmas starts on 1st December. The tree and limited decorations go up and my gorgeous beauty Advent calendar starts then as well.

Now we are retired with no family there are more Christmases in the past than in the future so we like to make the best of things. We can do the shopping at the quietest times as well.

When I was working it was very different. I had one job where no one was allowed to take any time off in December and we only got Christmas Day and Boxing Day off so I either put my feet up and watched television or visited relatives. I was single then. When public transport stopped on Boxing Day I couldn’t even visit anyone as I didn’t drive.

I make the most of it now
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Have been on a weekend coach trip to the south of the UK and was gob-smacked to see at least a dozen private houses with Christmas decorations up. :eek:
    !!!!!!! It's 6 weeks away!
    Will they be buying Easter eggs in January?
  • Skintski
    Skintski Posts: 500 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 18 November 2019 at 8:08PM
    It’s started, the decorations went up last weekend and Heart Xmas has been programmed into the car radio. I have very happy memories of Christmas that has continued into adulthood. I could happily do Christmas without the gifts as it’s the atmosphere and the family time I always look forward to. I always take a lot of time off as well so I’m looking forward to a three week break from work.

It’s probably too early for most people but the way I see it is that I’m not hurting anyone and it makes me happy. Life is too short to worry whether other people are rolling their eyes at my decorations being up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure