Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,583 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Good to hear from you melody. You have some good plans there.:T

You'll get a good idea about SW from your cousin's pack. It's not rocket science.:D Basically it's a framework to help with healthy eating. We all know that while we need to eat/drink from all food groups that we don't need to have the same amount from each group. The plan helps to get the balance right between healthy foods and treats.:) You don't need to join the SW group on here unless you want to but I would suggest reading the first few posts on the thread as the plan is explained.

I'm having a day at home today just starting to catch up on a few things. I know I'm lucky to have a good social life but we all need a balance. As well as cooking us a good meal I'm going to sort out some long overdue paperwork.:)

We had a good time yesterday at a family party. I got lots of compliments about my spotty dress. My nieces recognised it at once from its fame on Instagram!:D I felt good alongside those who'd chosen a much more casual look (cropped trousers and tops a la M&S:(). I know I didn't look like mutton and I was much happier alongside the women that wore dresses rather than the others.

The coming week looks blissfully quiet. No plans for anything social until Friday and that's weather dependent so anything could happen there. I'm definitely going to start another book and do lots of tidying up! I took a couple of bags to the CS on Friday and hope to do more this week. It's not that my home is untidy I just know I have far too much 'stuff' and it'll be cathartic to get rid of some of it. I'm definitely going to sort the bathroom cupboard ready for when we have the revamp. So that's me thinking aloud with some goals for the coming week. Thanks for listening.:D
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 21 July 2019 at 11:50AM
    Maman.....I'm in decluttering mode again too. :rotfl: can't wait for my son to fit those wardrobes for me.....then I can get rid of the ones I inherited when I bought this house. They are monsters and absolutely swamp my current bedroom, making it feel really cluttered and quite claustrophobic. The room will look much more light, airy and spacious without them, especially when I get rid of the purple feature wallpaper. Lol.

I was reading about Swedish Death Cleaning yesterday....not quite as morbid as it sounds. :rotfl: but, after having to deal with the possessions and estates of both my husband and my parents I am resolved to "get my house in order", not just to make things easier for my loved ones but also to live a simple, streamlined and uncuttered life.

I too am naturally a very tidy person, everything is all neat and Bristol Fashion but the cupboards are a tad full. I did a paperwork sort out recently but I still have more to dispose of mainly the Spanish stuff. It's almost 10 years now so I think it's safe to let it go.

Still need to brace myself for the photos......:eek:
  • silvasava wrote: »
    LL - could be a horsefly bite - they are itchy and I have a horrendous reaction to them. They usually end up in quite a big blister with yellowish fluid in it - nasty.
    Humpty - The OPI Start to Finish is a basecoat,Nail Hardener and Topcoat all in one,as my nails were looking so bad I just used it to give them a bit of support and protection but I've used it in the past when doing a full proper manicure - it makes your varnish last the best part of a week.

Thanks for the tip. I don't normally wear nail varnish, occasionally I put some clear varnish on but generally my nails are au naturele and I keep them fairly short, they are very short at the moment. Normally they look fine but I know they aren't strong and if I try to grow them they will break. I guess we all work out what works best for us.

I have heard OPI is a good brand so I might give it a go but I'm going to do a week or two of treating them with oil.
  • I've been invited for a "Well woman" check at the GPs. It starts off with a blood test, I'm already due two blood tests next week so managed to get this combined, that's an armful of blood gone. When I get the blood results I see a nurse and get things like weight, height, blood pressure done and get some advice. I thought I might as well get it done, I had heart tests last year including an angiogram and had my bone scan this year so I think I should be up to date with everything.
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,359 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I have another concert this week. It's meant to be very hot weather but luckily we will be going into London against the rush hour so it hopefully won't be too bad.
    wednesdayThankyou do the advice on meditation exercises. I had tried them in the past but they don't seem to last long with me. I have found my CD of thunderstorms and rain sounds again though which I've been trying to listen to before bed and this has helped me calm down a bit so hopefully I will keep this up to help me��

Oh yes, I like listening to rain or waves too.:A Very relaxing.
    I got badly bitten the other day by an insect. I am not sure if it is just a mosquito bite but looking at it I think it might have been a tick carrying Lyme Disease, although I didn't see a tick to remove. It might not have fully attached because I felt whatever it was bite and brushed it off immediately. The bite is not looking good though, very red and hot. It has the beginnings of the "bullseye effect" associated with a Lyme Rash, but it's itchy like a mozzie bite, so a bit confusing. Lol.

I'll keep an eye on it. I'll know more in about a week or so. Caught early Lymes is fairly easy to treat, untreated it can be devasting.

Not sure if it's linked to climate change but be warned, Lyme Disease is definitely on the rise in the U.K.

I would definitely get that checked. My friend in the US has fibromyalgia and when she was being diagnosed she was tested for Lyme Disease as it has the same symptoms as fibromyalgia, tiredness and pain.

She didn't have it in the end.
    maman wrote: »
    I felt good alongside those who'd chosen a much more casual look (cropped trousers and tops a la M&S:(). I know I didn't look like mutton and I was much happier alongside the women that wore dresses rather than the others.

That is funny as I was at the dentist the other day and while I was waiting I was looking at the women walking past and what they were wearing. About 70% were wearing cropped trousers, t-shirts and flat or low wedge sandals.:rotfl:

I much prefer dresses or skirts with leggings.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Oops sorry Silva, missed your post. I'll look up horse fly bites. My bite sounds similar to what you describe.

Without being too graphic, it does keep filling up with fluid and gunk and it itched like crazy. Seems a little easier today. Still very red but no longer hot and inflamed and the wound does look cleaner, and the "bullseye effect" has died down, so I think maybe not a tick bite after all. Phew.

I'll still get it checked though. I need to see my gp soon anyway.

Humpty. Good luck with the well woman tests. Aren't we lucky to be offered them. I take full advantage of any screening they offer. I am in the middle of doing something similar myself, dentist, eyes, feet. :rotfl: a sort of mini MOT. :rotfl:
  • Oh yes I forgot eyes and teeth, just had a filling replaced and saw the hygienist and had new glass in March so definitely MOT'd for this year.

I do think we are lucky, I thought I was going to have to pay for the bone density scan but I got that on the NHS as well. I feel guilty sometimes as I feel I use alot of NHS resources at the moment but I suppose I have to balance that with 60 years of very little use other than childbirth.
  • maman
    Just finished the decluttering for today. I have a pile of stuff to shred but I'll do that over time otherwise the shredder objects strongly!:D

If I can do a bit at a time then it won't seem so arduous, just like eating the elephant.;)
    Still need to brace myself for the photos......:eek:

That's a job I keep putting off too :(. I was listening to a radio programme earlier about grandmas' cooking where people were recalling food related memories of their grandmas. It took me back to various recollections of my nana. It's the old family photos that I must annotate as well as sort out. Perhaps a winter activity.:o
    I have heard OPI is a good brand so I might give it a go but I'm going to do a week or two of treating them with oil.

I've been oiling my nails too and making sure I do nails as well as skin when I put on hand cream. My nails are very short at the moment but the condition is much improved. I like the sound of that OPI Start to Finish silva although I have plenty of separate products so I should really use them up first. :o

That's another challenge that will become apparent when I sort out the bathroom cupboards. I've got lots of products to use up. I've been very mse :money: lately and been more sparing in my usage but it doesn't help using things up.:) When I went on holiday, I avoided taking a new lipstick because, in the heat, they can get soft and snap off. So I took two old ones: one for my handbag and one for indoors. They're so low that I need to use a brush but six weeks on there's still loads left!:mad:

It's a lovely day here again. It's not that I'm doing anything special but seeing the sun really cheers me. :)
  • maman
    Came on to say that more decluttering achieved today!:) I think posting helps me as it's a record of my achievement. :D

Today was my bathroom cupboard and a drawer in my bedroom that holds my more expensive cosmetics. The current bathroom cupboard is purpose built, floor to celling with 7 shelves. The footprint is small (about 40 x 25 cm) and each shelf conveniently holds one of those small plastic baskets. I'm having something similar in the new bathroom but I don't think it's going to be quite as spacious.:(

I threw out some old lipsticks but it was mostly a tidying up/stocktaking process. I really must try and use up some of the products. I definitely must not buy any more. :o

Tomorrow I'm going to tackle a couple of kitchen cupboards. As there's some pipework replacement downstairs necessary as part of the bathroom work I might need to empty some cupboards so it seems like a good time to check there's no unnecessary clutter in them.

Other than that I've not done a lot: shower/hair/slathering, a little bit of ironing and a few emails and phone calls.

It's another lovely day today. Hope the sun's shining on you all.:)
  • Hi everyone:)

Went to the zumba class today and it was really fun. Lots of work and I was sweating buckets but i feel better and happier having done it. I'll probably be a little sore in the morning though:doh: Everyone was really welcoming and friendly. I had to stop once or twice as I was starting to feel sore but i finished it. Going back next week for more:rotfl:

Cleaned out under the kitchen sink and got rid of alot of stuff we don't use/was not very good. Then decided to have an early bath as I was achy and tired.

Now resting up on the bed with a nice book ready to read:T
    Sealed Pot Challenge #126 :heart2: SPC 2019 £424.00
    Weight Loss Goal To Lose: 112LB
    Weight Loss So Far: 22LB
    Weight Still To Go: 90LB:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts