Mother died with debt and no estate. Help needed

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    As there isn't a will, you don't have any legal obligation to sort out the finances. You can arrange and pay for the funeral and leave any left-over money in her account and walk away from it.

Debts can't be paid if there's no money.
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Mojisola wrote: »
    As there isn't a will, you don't have any legal obligation to sort out the finances. You can arrange and pay for the funeral and leave any left-over money in her account and walk away from it.

Debts can't be paid if there's no money.

I told the bank she died and I have to take a death certificate in. Aren't I supposed to take the money left and add it to the fund of money to give them? Or do I just leave it?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • heatherw_01
    spacey2012 wrote: »
    I would have a 1k better funeral.
    The debts can go whistle, have a last life at the leaches that sucked your mum dry.
    They can not come after anyone else if the estate is insolvent.
    What is left after funeral costs is the estate.

How do I go about giving them the left over money? Obviously once the life insurance pays out, it will be in my bank
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
  • heatherw_01
    Was I right in calling all the companies to say she died? Some took my name and phone number, others didn't
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    I know this is a difficult time, and it will be difficult to grasp the situation.

Do you know anyone that has dealt with this sort of thing before?

Legaly, no one is responsible for sorting out an estate even named executors in a will can refuse to do anything.

it is a volutary position that people can decide they will take up, there is an order of priority of those that are eligable eg(might not be the right order) named executors, blood relative, benifitiaries, creditors...

With an insolvent estate there is no reason to do the job unless you are a creditor and can recover some money.

Back to your situation,

Initialy I would stop at the notification of the death to any interested party.
    (keep a track of any costs doing this it is a priority debt on the estate)

Telling people/companies is OK, be ready for them to try and get you to pay things, you don't have to

Are you going to register the death, if you do consier getting a few extra copies.

At this point I would hold off sending or taking in death certs before getting some advise on how to deal with the next step.

As I said before you need to establish id the life insurance is part of the estte or not before you get any access to the money.

same with any money in a bank accounts best to just leave it where it is.

funeral expences are a priority debt so you may be able to access the money for that but normaly you don't want to get it yourself, ideal is direct to the funeral director.

(even this is something you don't have to do but I think you want to)

I think an appointment with cab or other advice organisation is important you need some personal contact to deal with this.

Remember there is no rush if solicitors deal with solvent estates bill don't get paid for months/years so ingore any demands..

As for the flat if there realy is nothing of value then again you don't need to do anything you are not even resonsible for clearing the place allthough you might want to check for anything of sentimental value.

DO NOT PAY ANY DEBTS even if someone says you are liable.
  • heatherw_01
    Thanks
    Can't make an appointment with CAB as they aren't open until Wednesday :(

In regard to the life insurance, it would need to be paid to me wouldn't it either way? There would be some left over that would need to go back to the creditors though

Will have to see someone. Anyone have any idea how much a solicitor would charge for this kind of thing?
  • getmore4less
    How do I go about giving them the left over money? Obviously once the life insurance pays out, it will be in my bank

You need to check is this is estate money or not.

The companies should tell you this, or I think they should ask you for some kind of indeminity if they pay out without probate granted if it is estate money.
  • getmore4less
    Thanks
    Can't make an appointment with CAB as they aren't open until Wednesday :(

Not a problem it can wait till then or even longer, these things take time
    take a break till monday make an apointment, ignore any letters or phone calls till then.

keep asking questions if you want

In regard to the life insurance, it would need to be paid to me wouldn't it either way? There would be some left over that would need to go back to the creditors though

Will have to see someone. Anyone have any idea how much a solicitor would charge for this kind of thing?

Thats the point NO,

if it beongs to the "estate" then it pays the bills in the specific order by who ever decides to administer the estate.

If it belongs to you then you get it and you don't have to pay anything from it you don't want.
  • heatherw_01
    But if it belongs to the estate, the funeral costs come first before they get paid?
  • spacey2012
    spacey2012 Posts: 5,836 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Death policies usually have a named recipient.
    The recipient of an insurance policy is free to do as they wish with the money.
    The debt firms will gladly let you pay the debts voluntarily and more besides.
    If you think you will have a grand left over, order a nice headstone whilst your at it.
    Let those that lent money to a vulnerable old lady forgo the risk they took.
    Be happy...;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport