I want to stop drowning

Options

Comments

• debtaghh
    debtaghh Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It is important to stay on track of your budget which you appear to be doing but if you pay too much off debt so you don't leave yourself enough to live off leads to temptation to spend on cards again which is a slippery slope back to uncontrolled spending. You are not doing that so that is a win. Getting all your Christmas spending done within budget will be another win. I would like to think in the new year you can make an affordable payment to reduce the debt every month but without taking extra money out on balance transfers and setting money aside every month to save for your holidays, Christmas, birthdays and annual expenses for the car. Any exta earnings can then either be split between your emergency fund and debt until it reaches £1k and then put against the debt. I think you would do better to focus on one debt at a time rather than the overall figure. Aim to clear one of the smaller ones which are charging interest or have a deal due to expire.

Thanks. I’m aiming to first clear my Tesco cc which has a balance of £550 and the deal ends in April. The next cc will be Nuba which has a £1700 balance and the deal ends in August.

It looks like your retirement is coming round quickly!
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    debtaghh wrote: »
    Thanks. I’m aiming to first clear my Tesco cc which has a balance of £550 and the deal ends in April. The next cc will be Nuba which has a £1700 balance and the deal ends in August.

It looks like your retirement is coming round quickly!

That sounds doable then you will have two less debts to find monthly payments on ;)

Yes, I officially take early retirement at the end of December but due to the fact that the University I work in closes between Christmas and New Year and I have leave due my last working day is 19th December. Party on 20th. Very quiet now as they are gradually taking responsibilities off me so I can train people taking them on so nice relaxed working time now.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • debtaghh
    Options
    That sounds doable then you will have two less debts to find monthly payments on ;)

Yes, I officially take early retirement at the end of December but due to the fact that the University I work in closes between Christmas and New Year and I have leave due my last working day is 19th December. Party on 20th. Very quiet now as they are gradually taking responsibilities off me so I can train people taking them on so nice relaxed working time now.

I’m sure that will fly by!
  • debtaghh
    Options
    Morning,

I have a busy weekend with guests. We are out today but it’s been paid for but have allocated £20 and tomorrow I’m doing food for everyone and we may pop to the park depending on the weather.

I need to :

Do washing
    List some items to give me a head start
    Post items

I’d love to stay within my budget which really for the whole weekend is £20.

Have a lovely weekend.
  • debtaghh
    Options
    Morning,

So far I’ve spent £13 so have £7 left to spemd today which I’m not sure if that will be enough as we are going out for a couple of hours with our friends that treated us to dinner and gave us £50 as a present so feel the least I should do is offer them a coffee whilst we are out.

I managed to get 34 items listed for my business which has really helped as the days go so quick I like being ahead!

Have a nice day everyone.
  • debtaghh
    edited 13 November 2017 at 7:59PM
    Options
    Morning,

I actually managed to stick to my £20 budget for the weekend, I’m very pleased about this. I need to make sure sticking to a budget is a regular occurance!

I’m feeling a bit under the weather today but need to get bit done:

Hoover
    Dust
    Clean kitchen
    Put chq in- can’t decide if I have the energy to do the walking to town for this
    Wrap and post items
    Check finances
    Washing- probably at least 2 loads
    Sort lists out

That’s my basic list but am feeling exhausted so no idea if I’ll get it done.

Have a good day everyone.
  • debtaghh
    Options
    I managed to get all my list done including putting my chq in. It’s dh payday next week Monday and I can’t wait to be able to make some payments, it’s frustrating not being able to pay anything but it’s a sensible decision as I don’t want to leave myself short.
  • debtaghh
    Options
    Morning,

I feel like I need to get back to Xmas shopping as I still have quite a bit to buy ( money allocated for it), I did pop to the shops yesterday whilst I was in town paying my chq in. I just felt there were no good offers though. I find it hard buying from actual shops when there are so many online incentives. With cashback, discount codes and not having to carry your shopping it needs to be a good deal in store to make it worth while. It’s ashane as I do like seeing the actual products and feeling like I’ve had a good shop but likewise I have to think of money.

Today I have my Mum round so not much will get done, I do need to:

Check finances
    Hoover ( maybe)
    Post items
    View college with dd
    Try to do some online Xmas shoppiing
    Book Paddington ( ds treat )
    I have several lists of jobs to do that I never put on here as I never get a chance to do them... I think I need to start putting one from that list on here a day or at least a week! Today’s or this week’s will be to apply for nursery for dd2 and ask about certificate.

Have a lovely day.
  • debtaghh
    Options
    I did a lot on my list apart from buy Xmas presents and book Paddington. I went to book Paddington but I was so shocked to see how much it would cost that I left it, nearly £50 for all of us! I now know why we never go to the cinema as a family!

I’m working at my other job today but it’s s lot less hours than I was expecting.

Jobs I need to do:

Washing
    Bathroom surfaces
    Buy selection boxes on offer
    Buy gift cards on offer
    Check finances

I haven’t done my allocated week job of applying for nursery but did find out about the certificate part.

Have a nice day everyone.
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    Cinema uses to be a cheap night out (when I was a student) it now has to be a real treat.

Nectar points, vo surveys do cinema vouchers as one of their rewards, I'm sure clubcard do a cinema reward too. 2for 1 days.
    I'm trying to think if there are other ways to do a cheaper cinema trip.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure