Best savings account to put inheritance in?

My Nan died just before Christmas. She left me £2000, I'm not good at saving I want to lock it away as soon as I can. Otherwise it will get wasted.

What's the best account?
12k challenge #93- £3000 :T

Comments

• ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    How long do you want to lock it away for?

Have a look at the fixed rate savings bonds in the links at the top of this page.
  • Kez2511
    Kez2511 Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I am in no rush to spend the money.

Just been looking at this account with nationwide. I might lock it away for five years. What do you think. Then deposit £250 a month if I can. The account has 2.00%
    12k challenge #93- £3000 :T
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I am saving with Nationwide and so far I'm happy. They recommend putting cash into ISAs. There are different kinds of ISAs and if you can leave your money for longer, you get higher interest rates. Unfortunately, interest rates everywhere are a bit rubbish right now, but see this link, from our own Martin Lewis money saving expert site : https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/which-saving-account
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Kez2511 wrote: »
    I am in no rush to spend the money.

Just been looking at this account with nationwide. I might lock it away for five years. What do you think. Then deposit £250 a month if I can. The account has 2.00%

I wouldn't lock it away for that long because rates are pretty low right now, and there is a fair chance that they will rise within the next five years, but you won't be able to benefit because your money will be locked away. I'd suggest a one year fix at present, and then do the same again in a year's time. You can review it every 12 months.

2% is a dreadful rate for a five year fix. You can get 1.83% on a one year fix with Secure Trust Bank. https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/savings-accounts-best-interest#fixedsavings
    MalMonroe wrote: »
    I am saving with Nationwide and so far I'm happy. They recommend putting cash into ISAs. There are different kinds of ISAs and if you can leave your money for longer, you get higher interest rates. Unfortunately, interest rates everywhere are a bit rubbish right now, but see this link, from our own Martin Lewis money saving expert site : https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/which-saving-account

There is no point putting cash into an ISA unless you are going to earn more interest than your personal savings allowance, which is £1,000 for a basic rate tax payer (i.e. you pay no tax on interest earned, up to £1,000 each year). As ISA rates are less good than non-ISA rates there is no advantage to putting the money into an ISA.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure