PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Mortgages

I took a mortgage out on my own on a 35 year term. I’ve been in it a year. It’s a 2year fixed rate. If I sell next year when the fix terms up what happens as they’ll be 33 years left? Interest is 2.3% or similar. Say mortgage was 90k and I sold for 120 what happens?

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You repay whatever the balance is on your mortgage account at that date.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    davidmcn wrote: »
    You repay whatever the balance is on your mortgage account at that date.

And pocket the rest!
  • ThePants999
    ThePants999 Posts: 1,748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Shortly before completion, your solicitor will obtain a "redemption statement" from your mortgage lender, which calculates exactly how much you'd need to give them to clear the mortgage - a combination of the outstanding balance, any interest that's accrued since the last payment, any exit/admin/transfer fees etc.

On completion, the sale price will initially be paid to your solicitor. The solicitor will transfer the amount shown on the redemption statement to the lender, and transfer what's left to you.

In the event of there being a shortfall ("negative equity"), the solicitor won't allow the sale to go ahead unless you can come to some arrangement with the lender so that they'll agree to drop their charge on the property even without being fully repaid. This might involve turning the shortfall into an unsecured loan, for example.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    And pocket the rest!

Or maybe dip your pockets for the rest depending on how high interest rates have gone :(
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Or maybe dip your pockets for the rest depending on how high interest rates have gone :(

What you on about? Op said mortgage is £90k and property could be sold @ £120k. That's £30k profit less fees. More than some bedsit renting saddo.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure