Evans Halshaw - has anyone been able to get money off?

Comments

• marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,933 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    BJV wrote: »
    Not every sales person is Arthur Daley!

I've met some thoroughly professional sales people, and some really lousy ones. No common themes about where they are to be found - one of our local main dealers has a great crew, very quickly work out what level of discount they need to offer to do a deal, get creative with additional items which have value to you but cost them very little, etc. The other main dealer is likely to leave you hanging around for 20 mins even if you have an appointment.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    borgman wrote: »
    I've been considering changing to newer Mondeo (mine has 88k on clock) Evans Halshaw are someone I considered. But not after hearing of some of the bad experiences here. But how do you choose where to buy a car from?? Who can you be sure is a trustworthy garage ?
    R

You cant trust a car sales man, you can trust your credit card company!

Our evans halshaw sounds pretty similar.

Colleague (sp?!) bought a car 2 weeks ago (was a p/ex paid 3-4k) Put it though its MOT to find out it was involved in a fairly heavy accident by the sound of it, twisting the chassis and knocking all the doors out of line. Customer services wanted nothing to do with them.... bought as seen etc etc. Then she posted on twitter slagging them off, next day had her money back.

Im sorry to any genuine good car salesman (there must be some) but unfortunately your industry is letting you down big time. Buying a car is a law unto itself and normally involves bullying garages.

This is why im a full converted bangernomics man, no longer shall i throw money out of the window on buying unnecessary cars. My £200 motor is a dream and no bell ends promising the world, more of a 'gears stick sometimes and you have to jimmy around the lock a little bit'..... my kinda car!
  • sgun
    sgun Posts: 716 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    yes, I have got a quite substantial discount off the starting price from EH before. I'm a teacher though so quite bossy and tough :rotfl: second last car I bought I spent about 3 hours haggling, down to the last £12 reduction and a full tank of petrol. He caved first!
  • Thought I'd share my thoughts after todays experience....

I'm after a partilar model of Mondeo with usb functionality, dab and bluetooth as a minimum requirement.

Took the day off to travel around south of England to visit all matching cars.

Ended up at Plymouth Evans Halshaw after phoning to confirm car was available and advert was accurate.

I travelled down from Herts viewing some others on way. Turned up and it didn't have usb which contravened advert and conversation. Needless to say I wasn't impressed, I asked if they would be willing to retrofit. Yes was reply at a cost. So had test drive anyway, it drove okay so got down to business when we got back. Tried to haggle, had cash with me and no part ex, used the lack of usb and false advertising, not quite colour I was after I even produced another advert of a car I'd seen earlier at same price with all gadgets I was after but no dice so I walked.

Salesman did shout after me saying he would chuck in supaguard for free, I replied unless it was a substancial discount off list I'm off. He said he couldn't budge on price so I walked.

I assume he thought I wouldn't as I had just driving 200 miles to see vehicle but I'm not going to pay the same price for a car I can get elsewhere with everything I want when there are others on market at similar price and definately not when they misled me with advert and on phone.

I don't get it, I would have haggled anyway but would have paid asking probably if it had usb but not willing to even knock 500 quid off. Won't be going near an Evans Halshaw again due to this.
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    dhenryuk wrote: »
    Thought I'd share my thoughts after todays experience....

I'm after a partilar model of Mondeo with usb functionality, dab and bluetooth as a minimum requirement.

Took the day off to travel around south of England to visit all matching cars.

Ended up at Plymouth Evans Halshaw after phoning to confirm car was available and advert was accurate.

I travelled down from Herts viewing some others on way. Turned up and it didn't have usb which contravened advert and conversation. Needless to say I wasn't impressed, I asked if they would be willing to retrofit. Yes was reply at a cost. So had test drive anyway, it drove okay so got down to business when we got back. Tried to haggle, had cash with me and no part ex, used the lack of usb and false advertising, not quite colour I was after I even produced another advert of a car I'd seen earlier at same price with all gadgets I was after but no dice so I walked.

Salesman did shout after me saying he would chuck in supaguard for free, I replied unless it was a substancial discount off list I'm off. He said he couldn't budge on price so I walked.

I assume he thought I wouldn't as I had just driving 200 miles to see vehicle but I'm not going to pay the same price for a car I can get elsewhere with everything I want when there are others on market at similar price and definately not when they misled me with advert and on phone.

I don't get it, I would have haggled anyway but would have paid asking probably if it had usb but not willing to even knock 500 quid off. Won't be going near an Evans Halshaw again due to this.

Alway the same. The price you see is the price you pay.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    mikey72 wrote: »
    Alway the same. The price you see is the price you pay.
    I managed to haggle a reduction on my nearly new Mondeo Titanium X from Evans Halshaw at the back end of last month.

It wasn't easy, but having not disclosed I wanted a Titanium X (I said I was wanting a Zetec), I allowed them to 'talk me into' the Titanium X.

I said I wasn't bothered about all the extras for the extra money, and that a Zetec would do.

Eventually (after what seemed like an eternity!) they gave me £350 off the screen price. Month end probably helped, as I paid on 30th April.

So far I'm very happy with it...touch wood!
  • I managed to haggle a reduction on my nearly new Mondeo Titanium X from Evans Halshaw at the back end of last month.

It wasn't easy, but having not disclosed I wanted a Titanium X (I said I was wanting a Zetec), I allowed them to 'talk me into' the Titanium X.

I said I wasn't bothered about all the extras for the extra money, and that a Zetec would do.

Eventually (after what seemed like an eternity!) they gave me £350 off the screen price. Month end probably helped, as I paid on 30th April.

So far I'm very happy with it...touch wood!

Did you take finance out by any chance?
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    borgman wrote: »
    I've been considering changing to newer Mondeo (mine has 88k on clock) Evans Halshaw are someone I considered. But not after hearing of some of the bad experiences here. But how do you choose where to buy a car from?? Who can you be sure is a trustworthy garage ?
    R

I still prefer EH over the lovely Dagenham Motors, as the only fleet they’re interested in servicing is Addison Lee!

We’re averaging about £8k off the cars and £5k off the vans atm, which is cheaper than I can get elsewhere (we buy new).

CK
    💙💛 💔
  • malkyh
    malkyh Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    I don't rate the salesmen in any of the car supermarkets. They say anything to get the sale as to be fair, that is in their own interests for commission as their basic salary is poor.

It's the luck of the draw on the car. The problems really begin with aftersales if something does go wrong with the car. After my last disastrous purchase from Arnold Clark I'll never go back there again. My dealings with EH wasn't much better. Kept me there for over an hour showing me a car I could 'probably' swap my old car for minimum cash only to then be given a trade in figure £2000 less than the screen price even though the car I had was newer and worth considerably more.
  • Flyboy152
    Flyboy152 Posts: 17,118 Forumite
    SHOW wrote: »
    Hi,
    We have been looking to buy a used car from Evans Halshaw. The salesman told us that there is no flexibility in the price as they are competitively priced and they have a 5-day price promise. Just wondering if this is the case or if it's just salesman "flannel"! Has anyone been able to get them to drop their price?

Thank you!

Run away, don't look back and never, ever look them in the eye. They are the spawn of the devil and if you haven't bought anything you have had a lucky escape.
    The greater danger, for most of us, lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low and achieving our mark
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure