PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

No T Words mentioned at all - a fresh start

Comments

• Hi FTM we're fine lovey, Nell came home for part of half term with a grotty flu type thing and the others are currently on their holibobs in the snowy part of Scotland, hope that Zebra likes the snow. The new floor doesn't go down until mid March as the cushionfloor for the bathroom doesn't get to the showroom until then but that's fine, gives us a chance to spruce up the room. Today we're doing the bed swap and getting the old carpet out, then He Who Knows is doing gloss paint if it needs it and we might give the walls a new coat of emulsion too. We're putting the single bed and cot into the back room with the airing cupboard in as it's so much warmer and better for small folks and the big double will still fit in the front room. Hope all your refurbishment of the hall is going well and also school for those tots, Lyn xxx.
  • Hello all,

Good to see you FTM, I am due to have my eyes tested, actually overdue. I have a catarract on my right eye which I know is getting worse, and when i went for my retinal screening in December they told me I have one coming on my right eye, Oh deep joy.

Pilchard is much better now, thank you for asking and if you read further you will see we have a little problem.

Poor Simon, some of the side effects of our drugs are awful, and I do feel for him. I hope everything settles down soon. Please give the girls a hug from me. Good luck with your ebay items

Hoglet as FTM says your kitchen must have smelt gorgeous, and how well did you do? I suppose when the lamb is delivered you will have to bag it up in portions.

Hoglet can I ask your advice please? You may remember my daughter kept Flora's son and found homes for the 4 girls. Well my daughter has now bought a pug and Junior (Flora's son) doesn't get on with her at all.

I had a text from DGD2to ask would I consider having Junior as Mum says he has to go to a new home and DGD can't bear to think of him going to strangers. she was really upset and I didn't have the heart to say no. We have said yes of course, but as you know we have little experience with cats.

Do you think Flora will remember he was hers, or do cats not have a memory like that (it is about 18 months ago) and is there anything I should know when introducing them again? I would love them to be friends but I don't want to upset Flora, any advice would be well received

Lyn I bet you can't wait until the bathroom is finished, what colours are you doing and what colours are the beautiful towels the girls have bought you? I am sure DD and the Zebra child are having a lovely time but I don't envy them at all, I just hate being cold now. I need some warmth to my old body :)

Hope everyone is OK and staying as warm as possible

Much love to everyone

Candlelightx
  • Hi CANDLELIGHT the bathroom walls are a lovely warm green called 'Willow Tree' we have it in the kitchen already and I love it. The wood of the bath panel, vanity unit and cistern cover and tall cupboard is called dark walnut but is a beautiful colour verging on the mahogany red end. The suite is plain white and the floor will be a speckle of brown, cream, oatmeal and very neutral. The new towels are a beautiful steel grey, quite dark but not cold and the mats etc, are a dark grey too. It's very grown up for us and I think will not date in a hurry. The towels are hotel grade egyptian cotton too so should last us as long as we need towels, very absorbent and tres luxurious Mmmmmmmmm!!!
  • Oh Lyn that sounds gorgeous, I love that shade of green and as you say the towels will last for ever. Egyptian cotton is wonderful, I have sheets made from that and they last forever.

You won't want to come out of the bathroom when it is completely finished, so it will definitely be worth all the inconvenience during that cold spell.

Candlelightx
  • hoglet121
    hoglet121 Posts: 658
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    edited 24 February 2015 at 6:46PM
    Morning everyone :-)

Candlelight - yes I can well imagine how upset GD2 would have been and so lovely of your for agreeing to take on Junior. Common advice is for you to introduce something with his scent on to Flora (a blanket or some such that's he's slept on). You will probably be able to tell from her reaction wether she 'remembers' him (it's not something I've specific experience in) but even if she doesn't, the scent introduction is meant to be the best way to begin the introduction. Once he's with you, keep them apart in spearate rooms so he has time to 'suss out' the smell of your house and start to get his bearings, and introduce them slowly. I know there is a lot of advice that says put them either side of a door so they can smell each other, but I have to say after the initial separation stage we've let them have the run of the house together (when we were in) and let them sort it out themsleves. Flora may give Junior and you the cold shoulder for a few days but that doesn't necessarily mean she'll be upset for ever, although it can be hard to see. Socks and Izzy still fight occassionally, but it was 6 weeks after Izzy arrived that I found them asleep on the same bed. They happily snuggle up close by now but there's still the odd hiss every so often. Hope this helps but do let me know if you have any more questions.

As for the lamb - apparently it's coming jointed, but chops etc I'll be separating out into portions. The freezer has never been so empty!

MLW - your new bathroom sounds gorgeous, and I especially love the sound of your new towels :-)

Well, what a surprise, we are going back to the fruit place this weekend. It was just all so yummy and so cheap, and I've got a small addiction to the plums there. They are apparently quite a rare variety and look similar to a mango. I've dug out my fig chutney recipe for when the figs are ripe there too.

Also got to have a sort out as we are having a swap party at my cousin's on Sunday - not just clothes but household and bricabrac type things too. Always good to have a sort out :-)

Well I suppose work is calling me

Much love

Hoglet xx
  • Hoglet, thank you so much for all that advice. I am not sure when we will have him, probably next week, but I will get a blanket or something of Junior's so that Flora can get used to the smell.

Those plums sound gorgeous.

I love the idea of a swap party, I think we all must have things that we have liked but feel like changing. Hope you find some nice things.

Much love and thank you

Candlelightx
  • I don't know if it works on cats but when you introduce new guinea piggys to each other the advice is to put a dab of perfume on both their heads and above their tails so that they both smell the same, it apparently helps with the initial couple of days of being together, might be worth a try?
  • That's a good idea Lyn, I will try that as well.

DGD says the other 2 cats use the same blanket as Junior, so that won't be any good, so I have suggested she finds an old T shirt and wipes that over his body, then she can bring it around to us so that Flora can become used to the scent.

What we do for our pets:rotfl:

Thanks Lyn

Candlelightx
  • Oh yes Candlelight I know that feeling! The t shirt sounds like a very good idea.
  • katep23
    katep23 Posts: 1,406
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Candlelight, get her to rub the t-shirt on his cheek as that is where the scent glands are.

Cats have a memory of around 2 weeks so Flora is unlikely to "remember" him but there may be something familiar about his scent.

Try and give Flora something positive when she smells his scent like fussing her or giving her a treat and hopefully she will associate his scent with good things!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure