DVLA FOI request for complete list of cars I have owned

Comments

• AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Indeed it is not Andy. Thanks for finding a hole in my "thinking out loud".

Yet further doubt that what the OP wants can be accomplished.

The won’t have records of his early cars anyway, unless they’re still registered.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,532
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    DUTR wrote: »
    I just do, due to data retention policy, I doubt they would keep data longer than necessary.

It really depends on what data. You can get a full listing of owners of a car - I've done it for several classics I've owned which go back to mid 1980s. Not sure if their systems allow a search the other way by owner - probably not as name isn't unique so even if their system allows it they'd probably have to do it by address and dates of residence too
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • datostar
    datostar Posts: 1,287
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I doubt there'll be any records at all from before the setting up of the DVLA. Prior to that there was no national recording system at all. Local Councils issued registrations and kept the records and you had to know the registration number before being able to check who was the owner from the relevant Council.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,181
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    datostar wrote: »
    I doubt there'll be any records at all from before the setting up of the DVLA. Prior to that there was no national recording system at all. Local Councils issued registrations and kept the records and you had to know the registration number before being able to check who was the owner from the relevant Council.

... whereas today you don't have to know the reg. number?
  • datostar
    Forumite
    Car_54 wrote: »
    ... whereas today you don't have to know the reg. number?

Yes, you do indeed, but all records are held centrally at the DVLA so there is a single point to check. Prior to that, the last 2 letters in the registration indicated which town or county had issued it, e.g. ABC 123. BC would have been the issuing authority and a rather long list would indicate where it was. There is a vestige of this now in that the first 2 letters of current registrations are regionally based.

Back to the original post, the OP presumably doesn't know the registration numbers of all the cars he has ever owned. If any of those cars were never taxed under the DVLA regime he will have no chance of tracing them.
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Yes, you do indeed, but all records are held centrally at the DVLA so there is a single point to check. Prior to that, the last 2 letters in the registration indicated which town or county had issued it, e.g. ABC 123. BC would have been the issuing authority and a rather long list would indicate where it was. There is a vestige of this now in that the first 2 letters of current registrations are regionally based.

Back to the original post, the OP presumably doesn't know the registration numbers of all the cars he has ever owned. If any of those cars were never taxed under the DVLA regime he will have no chance of tracing them.

No, you don’t.

You can search the Police National Computer for vehicles registered at an address.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,181
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    No, you don’t.

You can search the Police National Computer for vehicles registered at an address.

Not all of us have access to the PNC.
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Car_54 wrote: »
    Not all of us have access to the PNC.

Just one example, your insurance company can do it from the insurance database.

You don!!!8217;t need to know the reg number.
  • datostar
    Forumite
    No, you don’t.

Indeed, but the PNC links to the DVLA database for that information. If vehicles are not on the DVLA database they're not recorded via the PNC either.
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Indeed, but the PNC links to the DVLA database for that information. If vehicles are not on the DVLA database they're not recorded via the PNC either.

If they are not on the dvla database then the dvla won’t have the information to give to the op.

So do you have a point?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport