witness signature on land reg forms

Options
Quick query
My husband and I have got to sign a form. (TR1)....it asks for our signature to be witnessed by a person over the age of 18 and not a relative......can my daughters fiance' witness it , or is the fact that they are engaged now class him as a "relative"
Many thanks

Comments

• TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,382 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    He can witness it- he isn't a relative.
  • Margot123
    Margot123 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Options
    Unless fraud is suspected, they haven't got the staff available to check whether or not anyone is related.

In your case, you aren't related anyway.
  • moving1moretime
    Options
    Brill thanks ;)
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    The aim is to have someone who is independent, so it would probably be more sensible to get someone else to do it.

It won't be illegal or invalid if it is your daughter's fiance, but in the unlikely event that the validity is ever questioned, having a witness who is effectively a member of the family is not ideal.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Quick query
    My husband and I have got to sign a form. (TR1)....it asks for our signature to be witnessed by a person over the age of 18 and not a relative......can my daughters fiance' witness it , or is the fact that they are engaged now class him as a "relative"
    Many thanks
    TBagpuss wrote: »
    The aim is to have someone who is independent, so it would probably be more sensible to get someone else to do it.

It won't be illegal or invalid if it is your daughter's fiance, but in the unlikely event that the validity is ever questioned, having a witness who is effectively a member of the family is not ideal.

As above - it would probably be fine but, just in case of issues in the future, get someone unconnected with the family.

Don't you have any neighbours or work colleagues who would do it?

They don't have to know what the paperwork is - all they are going to do is to confirm that it was you who signed it.
  • moving1moretime
    Options
    What issues could there be in the future...???
    ..he's already signed it now as I took what was said by the first two poster to be OK ??
    Should I check with my solicitor now ??
  • eddyinfreehold
    Options
    No. Relax, it will be fine. The fiancee was not a relative when they signed. I wouldn't trouble the solicitor...
  • Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    Options
    What issues could there be in the future...???
    ..he's already signed it now as I took what was said by the first two poster to be OK ??
    Should I check with my solicitor now ??
    No need. It is a slim chance but why take it, 99.999% certain to be OK.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure