Energy fixed monthly tarfiffs

Everytime l switch energy providers - l tend to get a really good rate for the first 6 months and then it gets hiked up despite having credit - is there a company that just charges you for what you use each month? Ours has doubled from £58 to £107 . -even though we have £137 in credit?

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    What kind of energy?

Oil? Solid fuel? LPG?
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    mel_l wrote: »
    Everytime l switch energy providers - l tend to get a really good rate for the first 6 months and then it gets hiked up despite having credit - is there a company that just charges you for what you use each month? Ours has doubled from £58 to £107 . -even though we have £137 in credit?

I suspect you are confusing 'good rate' with an initial low direct debit payment.

It is common practice to be given an initial low DD to lure you to a supplier. Then if this DD payment doesn't cover your predicted annual spend it is increased.

Also being in credit only has meaning if it is when a bill is produced. Our DD payments are credited to our account monthly, but this account is only debited quarterly. e.g. I could be £400 in credit today, but tomorrow get a bill for £450 debited and my account has a £50 debit balance.

You have been paying £58 a month(presumably for gas/electricity) that would be an annual amount of £696 which is way below the UK average. so paying 6 months @ £58 and 6 months @ £107 will mean an annual payment of £990 which is still below average.

If the increase in DD is not justified by your predicted consumption, then contact the energy company and discuss.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure