Joint bank accounts - a reminder

Some years ago DH and put both our names on all our accounts so when one of us dies, the other can access the money.

We both have a separate bank account which we use independently but which either of us could use should we need to because they are joint accounts.!

Santander (my DHs bank) wrote to me noting that I haven't made any withdrawals and if I don't before next February they will assume I don't want/need a new debit card. Lucky they contacted me as I didn't have a pin number. This has since been sorted so I just need to get a balance to activate the card and I will automatically get a new one when it's due.

We then checked my DH's card that goes with my account at Barclays and discovered it expired in 2009. Same again he has never used it but if they wrote to him maybe he ignored it. Anyway he's off to the bank today to register for a new card.

Anyway for any of you out there like us with joint accounts where only one person uses the account check to make sure the other persons card is still valid.

Comments

• All cards expire.

They will just issue a new one.

Your name won't be removed from the account so you can still go in-branch and request a new card or withdraw cash etc.
  • givememoney
    givememoney Posts: 1,224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    !!! wrote: »
    All cards expire.

They will just issue a new one.

Your name won't be removed from the account so you can still go in-branch and request a new card or withdraw cash etc.

You've missed the point. Ìf one of us were to die the other one might need to get money from the account quickly so need a card for that purpose.

Yes of course you can go to the bank to explain the situation but what is the point of having a card you can't use.

As I said, Santander did warn me it was due to expire and would not issue another if I didn't use it to either make a withdrawal or check a balance. It's a cost cutting exercise they said as much and it does make sense.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Or you could always ensure that each of you have online banking access to both accounts, so as to allow a swift electronic funds transfer from the other's account to your own when needed....
  • Banks will re-issue cards that expire but in my experience if they are not used within their term they will not send a new card out.
    It has happened to me with a few savings account cashpoint cards.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure