Carers allowance backdated longer then 3 months?

I won my appeal for PIP back in March and that was backdated to April 2017 as that was when dwp wanted me to move from DLA to PIP.

My wife has put in a claim for CA online and it says about it being backdated 3 months and can be backdated longer in some cases so she put in the date that my PIP started for a start date for CA.

so would they backdate CA to when PIP started last April or just the 3 months?

also how long is it taking for new CA claims at the moment?

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,845
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I won my appeal for PIP back in March and that was backdated to April 2017 as that was when dwp wanted me to move from DLA to PIP.

My wife has put in a claim for CA online and it says about it being backdated 3 months and can be backdated longer in some cases so she put in the date that my PIP started for a start date for CA.

so would they backdate CA to when PIP started last April or just the 3 months?

also how long is it taking for new CA claims at the moment?
    In this case it will be backdated to the start of your PIP claim if she looked after you for at least 35 hours per week and earned less than £120 per week.

It can take 8-12 weeks for CA to start.
  • rich_shot2003
    rich_shot2003 Posts: 2,145
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    In this case it will be backdated to the start of your PIP claim if she looked after you for at least 35 hours per week and earned less than £120 per week.

It can take 8-12 weeks for CA to start.

Many thanks for that.

if they backpay it to when my PIP got backdated to(April 2017 as i appealed it) then how will they work out the backpay of CA as really they cant take it off my ESA or PIP as i have already had it like they will do when CA is being paid to my wife.

i dont really understand it to be honest.
  • poppy12345
    Forumite
    Many thanks for that.

if they backpay it to when my PIP got backdated to(April 2017 as i appealed it) then how will they work out the backpay of CA as really they cant take it off my ESA or PIP as i have already had it like they will do when CA is being paid to my wife.

i dont really understand it to be honest.
    When a person claims CA and a means tested benefit like ESA the CA will be taken off the ESA (£64.30) then CA will pay your wife that money. ESA will then add a premium to your ESA (£36.00). There fore you will be £36.00 per week better off, so it will be this amount per week that they will owe you.

CA will contact ESA for them to know how much back money is owed and they will pay them what is owed. You won't even see that but you will be paid the £36 per week backdated to the start of your PIP award. Providing your wife was caring for you for at least 35 hours per week and she wasn't earning more than £120 per week.
  • poppy12345
    Forumite
    The amounts above will be slightly less before April 2018.
  • rich_shot2003
    rich_shot2003 Posts: 2,145
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    When a person claims CA and a means tested benefit like ESA the CA will be taken off the ESA (£64.30) then CA will pay your wife that money. ESA will then add a premium to your ESA (£36.00). There fore you will be £36.00 per week better off, so it will be this amount per week that they will owe you.

CA will contact ESA for them to know how much back money is owed and they will pay them what is owed. You won't even see that but you will be paid the £36 per week backdated to the start of your PIP award. Providing your wife was caring for you for at least 35 hours per week and she wasn't earning more than £120 per week.

What is the extra £36 called as i am in the support group for ESA so would i be getting that already?
  • poppy12345
    Forumite
    What is the extra £36 called as i am in the support group for ESA so would i be getting that already?
    It's the Carers Premium and no you won't already be getting that. As i already explained above they take off the CA from your ESA and add this premium. This will make you and your wife £36 per week better off.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure