Frugal Living Challenge 2011 - Part 3.

Comments

• redglass_2
    redglass_2 Posts: 771 Forumite
    Welcome, Scorpio-biker! :hello:
    'Whatever you dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin now.' Goethe

• Aril
    Aril Posts: 1,877
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hello fellow frugallers and welcome to all recent newbies,

I've got off to a good frugal start today by having lunch bought for me- it's the final one before we all start leaving :( In a strange way I am looking forward to having a little more time- the house needs a really deep clean [it is fairly clean but never have time to do the extras] and I really want to do a ruthless declutter. Again that's done regularly but I want to tackle the black hole that is the loft and the garage:eek:

Looking back over the last quarter things have really changed for us again on the financial front- obviously my current job is finishing but we enter the new quarter with no debts save the mortgage which goes on 17th July and a good nestegg behind us. I've been merrily sending off for freebies, filling in surveys and hunting down whoopsies in Waitrose with avengence.

Here's to the next quarter chaps and chappesses:T Do chip in with any frugal successes or tips- they all help to keep us motivated and sometimes a chance comment sparks a new idea and a whole new way of saving the pennies:D
    Aril
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!
  • saorsie
    saorsie Posts: 1,905 Forumite
    Ooooooh a lovely shiny new thread :cool: Still hanging on in there and reading faithfully though rarely post.

SOW is updated without fail and is looking fine apart from pets and car expenses ~ may have to re-jiggle these, however car costs will plummet on these last 2 quarters due to trading in my gas guzzler for a very enviro-eco Toyota ~ £0 road tax! :T I shall put my car tax refund and the small-ish reduction from the car insurance back into the pot when they eventually refund them both ( come on people its over 5 weeks now, my SOW needs it! :o)

Have also cancelled my gym membership, thus saving a bit more after this month, which will offset the 'pets expenses' ~ have taken to wearing a pedometer instead and aiming for 10 000 steps per day errr *quickly checks* 3712 to go! :o

Will try and post more this quarter but never feel I have anything that exciting to add, thanks for taking over the reins temporarily SF and big thanks to CW for all her wisdom and assistance ~ enjoy your family wedding

-s-
    Frugal living challenge 2012 live on £8500 ~ £7725.87 remaining
    Make £5/day in 2012 ~ £482.24/£1830 ~ 22.52%
    Proud Member of PAD since January 2010 ~ Total paid to date £11386.64
    Savings Pot for 2012 ~ £772.60/£3000 ~ 23.38%
    Lose 19lbs / Save £2k by 30/04/12 *5/19lbs* £158.72/£2000
  • slowlyfading
    slowlyfading Posts: 13,429
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Ohhhhh, lovely new thread, thanks SF!

I'm so glad I found this at the start of the year - and amazed that I've stuck at it!! - I've learned loads (but still a long way to go) .......
    No probs :D Glad you like the thread!
    KolaKube wrote: »
    Thank you! I can tell I'm going to be rather happy here...!:beer:
    Good :D
    23rdspiral wrote: »
    Hi everyone, thanks Slowly fading for taking over.
    Had a bad day at work, new boss/job not going too great... I'm not confident or "shiney" enough. Sheesh, I'll never get confident in the role with comments like that.

Returned a jacket to Blacks, it didn't have a bottom zip so wouldn't do... And in their sale found a metal bottle for £1, (not £12), a blanket that tucks into a cushion and a document wallet both for £3, so that was pleasing.
    No probs :) Comments like that certainly aren’t helpful, keep your chin up x
    CRANKY40 wrote: »
    Hello SF and thanks for taking over. I'm still hanging around, trying not to spend too much and trying to sort out the house.

Take care all of you
    Nice to hear from – try to post more often :) it’s nice to hear from everybody!
    Lovely new thread, and another hardworking leader! I can't believe we are now into our third quarter, and our merry band is growing and growing. :)
    I know, the year is going so fast! :eek:
    Winchelsea wrote: »
    Thanks slowlyfading for the new thread. I've been nothing but a lurker just lately, but actually posted a few minutes or so ago - on the old thread, and then read on to find we have a new one!

Lurker or not, this challenge does help me keep pretty much on the straight and narrow in terms of spending - so thanks again!
    No probs, glad it helps you out :) it would be nice to see you posting more – it’s nice to hear from everyone!
    slowlyfading - Thanks for starting the new thread.
    No probs :)
    cw18 wrote: »
    and many thanks for doing so :beer:

means I can concentrate on things at home for a while - mainly my daughter's wedding at the end of September, but also means I can spend time with my new chap (especially when he gives decides to give me a hour notice that he's coming over like he did on Tuesday!) without feeling guilty that I won't have time to read the thread :)
    No probs :) sounds like you’ll be busy! ;)
    Kiwisaver wrote: »
    Thanks Slowlyfading for picking up the mantle, we appreciate it. Pleased to see so many people still sticking with it. I have slacked off a bit in terms of keeping up to date with the thread but still 'walking the talk' as it were and pleased to be well within my budget for the first half of the year.
    No probs :)

:hello: and welcome to Scorpio-biker :)
    saorsie wrote: »
    Will try and post more this quarter but never feel I have anything that exciting to add, thanks for taking over the reins temporarily SF and big thanks to CW for all her wisdom and assistance ~ enjoy your family wedding

-s-
    No probs :D
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Personal Finance Blogger + YouTuber / In pursuit of FIRE
  • weesmiler
    weesmiler Posts: 234
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Today I've not been very frugal. I paid £17 for a Chinese takeaway, but my friend said he'd cut the grass (it was a jungle in the garden) if I bought him dinner, so I thought it wasn't a bad deal. Unfortunately, that means £17 out of my food budget for the month, so here's hoping I can survive on the remaining £53 :rotfl:It'll be whoopsies for me this month.

Hope everyone is well, here's to a great 3 months of frugalling! xx
    All you need is less
  • KolaKube
    KolaKube Posts: 427 Forumite
    Well! My first day of the challenge but as ive been recording spends properly since payday on wednesday i'll count it from then :D step one is making an excel spreadsheet methinks...

On the spends front, £1.12 on lunch today as normally theres free lunch at work on a fri but not today grr! Having some lush looking bacon quiche for tea before working on todays projects.... Making a batch of millies cookies and reading about homebrew :beer: anyone got any experience? Xxxx
    MFW Sept 2013 Starting balance: £101160.59 25 years :eek:
    OPs 2013-2014: £64.33 :o MFW #78
  • rubytuesday
    rubytuesday Posts: 22,383
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Vet is very pleased with marmalade and thinks she is responding well to the treatment.

I wasn't so pleased when I stuck my hand in the basket on the way home and it came out warm and brown!

How embarrassing -poor love.

Thank you for you advice about the thyroid op silvasava I saw a different vet and she seemed to think thirteen was the prime of life and an operation would be a good idea once wedgie has stabilised on the medication.

Anyway I am getting poorer and poorer now but will cobble something together for tea as I was too late to go and buy mackerel from the fishmonger - may make salmon fish cakes or maybe just some pancakes.
    Here dead we lie because we did not choose
    To live and shame the land from which we sprung.
    Life, to be sure, is nothing much to lose,
    But young men think it is,
    And we were young.
    A E Housman
  • SandraScarlett
    SandraScarlett Posts: 4,133
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I had a read this morning, and quite a few posts mentioned that people hadn't kept to the straight and narrow. Hand on heart, how many of us can honestly say that every single day of the last 6 months has been as frugal as possible?

I know I haven't, and I think it's a bit like when people say "My husband/wife and I have never had a cross word in 50 years". Don't they talk to each other!!

As I've said before, I've been more frugal than last year, and made some savings, but no where near as many as I could make, and what a lot of you manage. It seemed easier in Jan/Feb when I was full of enthusiasm, but as long as there's an improvement, that's fine for me. :)

I had a great start to this quarter today, when DH and I had eye tests (free for over 60s) but told we both needed new prescriptions. DH has bi-focals, and I have light weight frames, and even with a 25% discount, we are shelling out nearly £500!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

But then I thought that someone who was blind would be so happy to pay that if they could only see, and thank goodness we both can. Our health may not be as great as some couples, but it's better than a lot, and we are blessed with a lovely family and many kind friends. :A

The Blessed Martin keeps me up to date on so many money-saving tips, and I really appreciate all the help and support on this thread. And there'll be no Williams for me when the next heating bills arrive. :D My weekly meter check is making me positively orgasmic!

xx
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    I would have said that I have had a no spend day, however my son fleeced me for a tenner today so thats flown out the window. On the plus side it was out of cash that i took out yesterday, and was for my Charity shop mooch. So not so bad.
    I have masses of fabric to be going on with now. So lets hope that I can make the right things for the local customers.
    I would like to make up for the overspending at least. (Although I am pleased that I still do have a little money in the bank, but its only a couple of hundred now, and I hate to go below £500. Oh well. Least I dont have a credit card or an overdraft to deal with.
    Have spent the afternoon in the garden with my eldest and her new baby, she is 5 1/2 weeks old, and my other DGD who lives with me.
    DGD was in the paddling pool most of the afternoon. She was having a great time.
    I will need to spend tomorrow as we may be having a BBQ and i dont have any meat in or salads, or wine..... and the BF is coming over too.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • Aril
    Aril Posts: 1,877
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I don't need to be honest- I quite regularly fall off the frugal wagon [like when a set of pretty nightlight holders catch my eye:D] What I can say is that my overall outlook is pretty frugal and I have developed some effective frugal habits....and fortunately a lot of those little impulse buys actually cheer me up and keep me on the straight and narrow for the rest of the time. I have no intention of wearing a hair shirt- however, most of my impulse buys do come from bootsales, charity shops and £land:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:We go without a lot of things that others might deem necessary for their quality of life eg latest gadgets but do try to enjoy ourselves and build in the occasional treat. I've only got one crack at it and want to enjoy myself whilst I'm here. The one thing I have realised personally is that I can derive a huge amount of pleasure from things that don't cost money like today hearing that my parents have baby hedgehogs in their garden...awww!

Everyone's outlook is different regarding money matters and spending priorities and I respect that both on this challenge and in my real life

Arilx
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure