Corner Shop scanning items twice - what can I do?

KSMC
KSMC Posts: 12 Forumite
Hi everyone,

So I always pop in to my local corner shop for last minute bits.
I have noticed a few times that they have charged me extra which I put down to items being priced wrong or a charge for using my card.
After I noticed this I started only using cash and making sure to check the price on the till as it went through. Still they were charging me a few pound extra. I pulled them up and they told me they have swiped something twice by mistake. Fair enough, mistakes happen.

This has happened 3 times since, each time I pull them up and it’s a mistake. The last time I spoke with the manager who assured me it wouldn’t happen again but it did.

I have spoken with a few people on my estate and it seems to be a problem.
I have decided I won’t be shopping there anymore, but is there anything I can do to stop them?
I just think of the elder people on my estate that relay on that corner shop who are getting robbed of their money basically.

Thanks,
Katie

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I don't think there is, apart from persuading the manager to take the matter more seriously. Perhaps mention that other people you know have experienced the same? I'm sure a half-decent managers would be horrified of they thought the business' reputation was taking a hiding!

The only way of forcing change is by taking your business elsewhere. But then if the business closes as a result, then your community will lose a valuable service. That would be sad but totally avoidable.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,572 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    As you don't want to lose the local facility for the people in your area (which is commendable) then all you can do is encourage others to be vigilant in checking their receipts before they leave the shop. Keep raising it with the management whenever it happens and hope they'll wise up that you're onto them. If you have a local residents' association or website you could publicise it there but be sure of your evidence (keep a record of when it happens to you).
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    If the shop is part of a chain try complaining to head office.

If this is happening frequently and there is no improvement following complaints one might wonder if these are "deliberate mistakes". Consider reporting to Trading Standards?
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/get-more-help/report-to-trading-standards/
  • Complain to trading standards and shop somewhere else.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If it's part of a larger chain (some are) you could contact the area manager or head office. If the store is lucrative they wont want to lose the trade and will replace staff. If not I'd want to go to the Police in the first instance. Yes the store is needed by locals but for this sort of fraud to happen it's really not OK and I'm sure whomevers business this is wont want this happening in their name.
  • Hi,

just ask for a printed receipt before they start swiping and make it obvious you are checking it before leaving the shop.

Most corner shops will have the receipt printer turned off, but will switch on if asked.

Suggest to others on the estate to also ask for a receipt, word will get round, and shop will hopefully get the message.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,572 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi,

just ask for a printed receipt before they start swiping and make it obvious you are checking it before leaving the shop.

Most corner shops will have the receipt printer turned off, but will switch on if asked.

Suggest to others on the estate to also ask for a receipt, word will get round, and shop will hopefully get the message.

I'd agree. While the advice you've been given about trading standards and/or chain bosses is good, you'll need hard evidence that it's happened and how frequently to have any chance of proving that its more than just a mistake. Receipts (before and after) are essential.
  • KSMC
    KSMC Posts: 12 Forumite
    I decided to go and speak to the Manager again. Pleasant conversation but I mentioned Trading Standards which he didn’t like. He assured me it wouldn’t happen again. Hopefully this will stop, but unfortunately they have lost my customer.

Thank you for your responses everyone!
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    KSMC wrote: »
    I decided to go and speak to the Manager again. Pleasant conversation but I mentioned Trading Standards which he didn’t like. He assured me it wouldn’t happen again.
    Nothing like a threat to concentrate minds :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,568 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    On the other side of the coin, i work in a local shop and there are constantly problems with the scanner. They are old and they either don't scan, or scan twice once they decide to scan. I have to try and quickly scrutinise everything on the screen before completing the transaction with the customer. I would never overscan deliberately and will always get a supervisor over to rectify things if it has happened. The manager should always be offering the correct amount back in change if it has happened whilst you are still there and you can compare your purchased items with your receipt. Unfortunately once you have left the store there isn't much that can be done. It could be a genuine mistake, even if it's happened several times.

However as a customer i would also be miffed. So i appreciate that you tried to speak to the manager, and have chosen to no longer shop there.
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £103.76 as of 6/4/24
    Forever learning the art of frugality
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport