PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

A simpler life 2019

Comments

• I too was a cross stitcher, hadn’t touched a thing in over 5 years, so I was brave and gave the whole lot including my stitchy bag to a friend for herself and her daughter as they are avid stitchers, they were over the moon and I felt like I’d done a doubley good deed!
    "There's a little witch in all of us"🥰
    DEBT FREE 06/2018
    MrsSD 2023 Decluttering Campaign:
    🏅⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • MrsLottie
    MrsLottie Posts: 128 Forumite
    The sunshine is here today so with my two little dogs I have had a good walk and enjoyed every minute. Since I got back I have cleaned the bedrooms and put away gifts from Christmas .Mr Lottie popped to the shops and brought me some lovely flowers and now I’m sitting having a welcome cup of coffee.All simple things but that’s what makes me happy .Apricity we have had that virus too think that’s why today feels good because it’s gone at last .Hope you feel better soon and ready to enjoy life again .
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    This could have been written by me! I also find it harder to see the cross stitch as well and concentrate on TV - so I knit instead. I do really need to declutter the cross stitch stuff I have. I keep thinking that it's something I might take up again. I have about 5 or 6 half finished projects.

If anyone wants their cross-stitch projects to go to a good home, I met a lady in Whitby during the Beast from the East last year where we were both trapped for 5 days. She does cross stitches for charity and I took her address, hoping to come across some at car boots but of course never saw another at the few I have been to. I will happily pass on her address if anyone is interested.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • What a lovely thread again. We live in the middle of nowhere and when we're not off to work there's nothing we like to do more than walk our dogs, enjoy films, listen to music, read, share meals and plan to see family and friends. Hubby also loves photography and I craft, scrapbook, cook and read whenever I can. I had a huge book declutter when I started to really clear things that didn't fit our lives and now only read/order books from the local library and I have an online iBook account where I buy the odd book I know I'll refer back to.
    We feather our nest to make sure we're comfortable, but I'm an avid Kondo-er and we don't like clutter (or anything!) that makes work/takes away from our family time and the peace we find at home.
    Now going to make a cuppa and look back through the whole thread.
    All the best for 2019 everyone. :)
  • apricity
    apricity Posts: 198 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    hello everyone.

Been a sucessful few days of getting the house looking tidy,
    Got home tonight and the fiance already cleaned & mopped the kitchen & tidied the living room a little.
    I never even asked him to!

I washed everything up from today apart from my plate as I had tea at a separate time to my fiance -
    we were going to have a ready meal together but I didn't like it after i microwaved it so he had 2 lots and I cooked something else.

Whilst waiting for my tea to cook, I tidied the cooking cupboard up a little.
    It could be organised better but lids are on most of the tupperware pots & pans stacked neatly rather than shoved in.

My desk was tidied yesterday and now feels like an actual place for me to sit down and go on my laptop rather than sitting on it in bed all evening. I also made a conscious effort to eat tea at my desk whilst my laptop was on the bed - We don't have space for a dining table so I often eat using my desk as a mini table.

Had a no spend day too!
    :heartpuls Getting married 21.09.19 :heartpuls
    Emergency Savings - £15.55 / £1,000 :heart: XMAS '19 Savings - £0.00 / £365 :heart: Holiday savings - £6.00(SA) £00 (PB)
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Another step toward slower living for me has been assessing my time in social media\my phone.

To that end, I installed an app (seems counterintuitive) which logs the time spent on it, plus how many 'pick ups' in a day -- little screen checks etc.
    I know I'm on it too much, and therefore not as present as I could be. I've been telling myself my business promotion relies on social media but I'm not actually doing said promotion when I'm on it so just lying to myself really LOL

I've set a goal for time spent on it, number of pick ups and also set a screen free time over dinner time - it floods you with notifications to get off until x time.
    Already it's probably reduced my phone time by an hour a day just through sheer presence and mindfulness.

Today is good shopping, cleaning and possibly some soap making
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • I would love to get on board with this. I have read through the thread and love the idea of a simpler 2019. I've already cut back on my facebook and only check in once a week to see what my family abroad are doing. I started college (at 37yrs) this past week so being busier with that kills social media time really.

As for my simple life plans .... I plan to simplify our meals and get into a nice routine meal plan. I would like much less wasted food in the kitchen this year and maybe more batch cooking. Which will help with cutting the budget back too.

I want to get much more fresh air and work in my garden more this year ... I would love to provide our house with as much salad / veg as possible. I have a postage stamp garden but every little helps and it will be a little peace and quite for me lol.

I would love to create much less waste this year and also be much less of a consumer ....buying only needed things or serious bargains and second hand treasures ... and I would love to do this towards next christmas and give second hand , hand made and much more thoughtful gifts.

Just all round a less wasteful, old style , simpler life .... 2019
  • Can I join?
    I started decluttering over 2 years ago and make conscious decisions regarding my spending habits.
    I find my life is a lot simpler, lots less stressful and thoroughly enjoy the little things like walking my dogs.
    Our eating habits are a lot better as I am so much less stressed and my mind doesn’t wander with unnecessary thoughts.
    Be happy, it's the greatest wealth :)
  • I'm in

I'd like to get back to doing the stuff I did before the internet came along and became such a large part of my life.

So I think reduced screen time generally is called for. I'm going to limit the time I spend watching tv, browsing the internet and social media. Hopefully I can then use the time to read more, exercise more and declutter.

That certainly rang a bell with me. I lost my WiFi for a week last month and went nearly crazy. I kept asking myself what I ever did before the internet (and I am old enough to remember being an adult without WiFi!) I have decided that I need to use the internet less and to try and use it mindfully and not down a rabbit hole of dross and tittle tattle and stuff that makes me feel bad about myself!
    Stashbusting 2019 - 230/300
  • Evening all

So glad it is Friday, it was another rather strange week and then today after I came back from lunch break our IT packed up and left me with bits and bobs to sort out on Monday... But well, first relax!

I went for a long walk on my way home and have since done some cleaning, laundry and cooked a big batch of lentil soup from the National Trust cookbook. Sooo yummy and quite filling, had it with some bread and vegetarian sandwich "meat" I usually don't buy meat substitutes but decided to give them a try and it was quite ok. One of my cats even fell for it and came begging when I upacked it and had a tiny slice.

Tomorrow I'll have to finish cleaning the flat as it was too dark to hover when I came home and then a quick groceries round. Then I will meet my 90 year old friend for lunch, she called before and asked if I had time tomorrow. Really looking forward to it, she is one of the loveliest people and despite an almost 60 year age gap we always find something to talk and laugh about. She has a really witty sense of humour and a very positive outlook on life and a conversation with her always makes me feel good and is often food for thoughts as well.

In the evening I will go over to a friends as her son turns two and they will have a little party. I hope it won't turn out like last years "small celebration" that was 40 people and enough toys to keep a medium sized nursery in operation... I have my views on that topic and I decided that I will be the slightly strange auntie giving him handknitted clothes and wooden toys...

So many new ones joining our treat, welcome! The more the merrier!

Funny to read how many ex-cross-stitchers we have in this tread!
    Living Proof, I'd love to donate it to her, but I don't live in the UK and postage is horrendous... So I will have to find a way of donating it locally.

dingdongsaver, I completely agree with you that we don't need clutter to feel comfortable and cosy, and the things we really love in our homes are worth keeping! For example I have four pillows in my bed, oh heck, every minimalist would cry in pain because of that... But I do use all of them when sitting in bed reading, so having four pillow in the bed is making my life easier, as opposed to have to bring one from the living room each time.

CAFCGirl, I have an app that shuts other apps down for a set time and often use that in the evening to stay off Insta and random pages online...

debbiedodge, have you seen the Zero Waste tread? Very useful tips about reducing waste. I don't like the therm Zero Waste though as it sounds like an unachievable goal....

so, need to hang my laundry. Hope my handknitted jumper will dry until noon tomorrow or I'll have to help with the hairdryer... Want to wear that for lunch as my friend is a knitter too (although a much more skilled one than I am, but she has a good 80 years of experience and her output on socks is amazing...) and want her to see the jumper in it's full glory.

have a lovely evening everyone!
    Fashion on the Ration 2022: 5/66 coupons used: yarn for summer top 5 /
    Note to self, don't buy yarn!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills