PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

A simpler life 2019

Options

Comments

• wort
    wort Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I stopped watching news,or reading newspapers when hubby died 18 months ago. I didn't see much before that, but found it very depressing.

The Brexit thread I glanced at earlier, I was agog at the things people are doing. !
    I've kondoed my home ,and I love my simpler life. 2019, for me is about being with my friends and family.
    Keeping out of the b itchiness that circulates at work. I follow on a few threads about decluttering etc, to keep me motivated, if someone has tidied the drawers then I go and see what I can do!!

To whom said about negativity on Facebook, (sorry I can't recall who) I find it best to put friends and family into different categories, friends just go into acquaintances so when I post pics I make sure the privacy is set just to family. As I don't want anyone else knowing what I'm doing. If that makes sense.

I hope all had a good Xmas and hoping everyone has a simple and joyful new year.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • MrsLottie
    MrsLottie Posts: 128 Forumite
    Options
    Last year my partner and I got married after being together for four years. We sold both our houses and have bought a comfortable two bedroom house .We decluttered lots and kept only what we needed and a few things that were special to us. After retiring from very busy careers and bringing up our families it is a joy to be living very simply ,having time to spare for children and grandchildren, walking our little dogs and enjoying our garden .We are enjoying our simple lifestyle but it did take a lot of effort to get there and sometimes we find ourselves forfeiting it a little bit .Its so easy to say yes to requests to join this and that or to decide that you really need to buy the newest innovation. This year we need to stick to our resolution of living our simple life because we know that is what makes us really happy !
  • RicardaRacoon
    Options
    Good morning everyone

I have just invested some time in catching up on some household chores that were very much neglected yesterday as I slept almost all day. I didn't felt too tired when going up at eight, but decided to lay down for another half an hour... Slept till half past noon and still felt so tired in the afternoon that I had a nap... So I basically didn't managed to do anything all day...

So today I want to be a bit more productive in a nice way, finally watch a movie that I need to bring back to the library tomorrow, read a bit and finish the sleeve of a kids jumper on which I haven't really knitted much since Wednesday... And maybe a walk once it stops raining...
    Don't have to cook anything today as the only productive thing I did yesterday was cook a big batch of soup and a vegetable and potato bake.

I actually wanted to throw the Christmas tree out over the weekend as collection is on Tuesday but now I don't seem to be able to part with it. Normally I can't stand it from New Year on... So I might keep it for another week - my parents have theirs still up as well - and then put it outside to the balcony until the next collection in two week.

Just almost made my first purchase of the year, a knitting pattern. But told myself that I will wait for a week or two before ordering as I'm not sure if I really want it and will knit it...

CAFCGirl 40 bags, wow, that is a lot! Good luck! I bet your house will be a completely different story and you will feel a hundred times better once you are done!

re watching news, I stopped too on the general principle that I will hear about anything important from somewhere and don't need to deal with all that negativity all the time... It was a process though as I felt "you have to" read the news to not be ignorant...

MrsLotti, I like the plan with walking more! I have fallen out with my daily walks a bit in summer when it was too hot to do so and never really gotten back into the swing, so my aim for January is to walk half an hour on six days a week and see if I can get back into it.

apricity, wow, you did a lot over the last days! I think once you have accumulated a certain amount of clutter it is very hard to decided where to start but once you are into it it gets much easier!

have a lovely Sunday everyone!
    Fashion on the Ration 2022: 5/66 coupons used: yarn for summer top 5 /
    Note to self, don't buy yarn!
  • RainbowHippie
    Options
    Puffinbertha - many thanks for the recommendations, i will have a look! :)

Really identifying with those (it seems there are a few of us!) who are feeling overwhelmed by 'stuff' and just wanting to get rid. I have a deadline today but once that is done i have a pile of things to list on eb*y. Planning to sell as much as i can online during January then have a car boot sale at the end of the month to get rid of anything unsold by then. I will take anything left at the end of that to a local charity shop that opens on sundays. I am determined to try and make some pennies if i can from the stuff i'm clearing out, but it does make the process a bit slower (and less simple! but hopefully worth it as the funds i make will contribute to 'treats' on our travels).

Have a nice week everyone xx
  • MrsPorridge
    MrsPorridge Posts: 2,907 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A serious declutter for me this year and OH and I are hoping to downsize from a four bed house to a bungalow. 4 bags to charity shop last week and 4 in the boot ready to drop off on way to work tomorrow. we have also made a trip to the dump this year already. Just need to keep motivated. We have selected one room to declutter each week, so a bit in the evenings and some time at the weekend. This week it's the spare bedroom!

Whilst also decluttering the rooms they will also be cleaned and if any maintenance needs doing that will be done too - e.g. we know that many of the window frames/sills will need repainting.
    Debt free and Keeping on Track
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    RicardaRacoon It seems like a lot.... we've already had 8 bags leave the house already, and 6 more are in the spare room waiting on a collection. A lot of it is 'hidden clutter' and lots of 'could be useful one day' type things - which I admit I am dreadful for. That leaves me 26 'bags' by March since some will be boxes and some are pieces of furniture....

My day today has been slow and I've spent most of it browsing food recipes, planning new and exciting foods to try as part of 'living' and making soaps (my business) which is always a very zen activity for me
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • MrsRogers
    MrsRogers Posts: 631 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Count me in

I was just saying to my mum the other day, I am sick of stuff and my time not being my own.

I have decided to come off social media for 6 months, it’s full of either negativity or people ‘keeping up with the jones’ attitudes.

I’m on a decluttering mission, I want to cleanse my home and mind of unnecessary stuff.

I love to read anyway but will make sure I read more.

Looking forward to seeing how everyone gets on
    Goal - We want to be mortgages free :j

I Quit Smoking March 2010 :T
  • apricity
    apricity Posts: 198 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I've not put any of the washing away from the weekend but I've been poorly...

Tonight my fiance tidied the bedroom some more by putting the rubbish in the bin & he brought in the emptied recycle boxes .

I'm wanting to wash up the plates , mopping the kitchen + bathroom , putting recycling out again (We're behind due to being away on last recycling day before New Years) , Put some washing away
    I'll do this a little later as I'm currently watching a video for work & my fiance is playing his computer games so prefect time to do this :)
    :heartpuls Getting married 21.09.19 :heartpuls
    Emergency Savings - £15.55 / £1,000 :heart: XMAS '19 Savings - £0.00 / £365 :heart: Holiday savings - £6.00(SA) £00 (PB)
  • RicardaRacoon
    Options
    Good morning

Had a little decluttering victory yesterday night! There are these things I just don't seem to be able to part with... For example my cross stitching collection, I haven't stitched since turning to knitting five years ago. I had about 20 of these big packs and tons of single tread for cardmaking etc. Over the last year or so every time I opened the box one or two of the packs were sent flying because I knew I'd never hang them... So yesterday evening I opened the box, took all the single treads and fabric out and pilled them into a bag and as soon I'm really sure I'll be able to let them go I'll write to my primary school teacher who is still teaching at the local school and ask if she has use for it. Because let's be honest, I don't.... I kept some of the big packs that I might one day still use and could also see myself hanging in my flat.

On another note I managed a lot of sleep lately. Was soo tired all weekend that some serious napping was going on and was again tired on Sunday night so went to bed early with a book and slept eight solid hours, woke up shortly before the alarm went off. Yesterday I was in bed by half past nine again, but woken up by my cat meowing outside the door as soon I'd more or less fallen asleep. I'm sure he woke me up to complain that his kitty sister has stolen the best spot on the cattree...

MrsRodgers, well done on deciding you need some time off social media! I ditched facebook a while ago and never missed it, but I like insta as I also made some friends over it and it is lovely to catch up with them...

CAFCGirl wow, you are already more than 1/3 there!

have a lovely day!
    Fashion on the Ration 2022: 5/66 coupons used: yarn for summer top 5 /
    Note to self, don't buy yarn!
  • MrsPorridge
    MrsPorridge Posts: 2,907 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good morning

Had a little decluttering victory yesterday night! There are these things I just don't seem to be able to part with... For example my cross stitching collection, I haven't stitched since turning to knitting five years ago. I had about 20 of these big packs and tons of single tread for cardmaking etc.

have a lovely day!

This could have been written by me! I also find it harder to see the cross stitch as well and concentrate on TV - so I knit instead. I do really need to declutter the cross stitch stuff I have. I keep thinking that it's something I might take up again. I have about 5 or 6 half finished projects.
    Debt free and Keeping on Track
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport