Laser Eye Surgery Cost Cutting Tips

Comments

• I had laser eye surgery (the old type) about five years ago at Optimax in Manchester. I've still got 20/20 vision.

I do have to use hypromellose eye drops every night because I have dry eyes, but my eyes were fairly dry before the surgery.

On the whole I'm delighted with the results. :T
  • barginunter
    barginunter Posts: 1,253 Forumite
    I had Lasik about 7 years ago. After the op I was bottom line on the chart. My prescription is now -1.25/-1.00. I need glasses to drive. I started to notice after about 3 years. One optician told me that anyone who uses a computer a lot (I do) will find that their vision will degrade but will never get anywhere near what they were before the op. One good thing about this is that even though I am 53, I can still read without needing reading glasses. I still don't regret having the procedure - it is truly life-changing.
  • After coming back from India to do laser eye treatment, i am thankful for the Surgeons based over there.

Before i went to have the treatment, i wanted to check what Britains best could offer. I discovered that Optical Express/Ultralase were using the best machines. However, what i didnt realise are that the consulations are not that good. I was informed that my eyes were suitable for laser eye treatment ( at optical express ). I then went to have the laser done in India - only to be refused as they discovered a problem. If i proceeded the laser eye treatment in the UK, i would have had a 60% chance of losing my eye. Pretty shocking but please note that Britain is definately "not the best".

My advise would be to have at least 3 consulations from 3 different and experianced surgeons before proceeding with the surgery and dont go for cheap options!
  • i have passed through an surgery and now I am able to see any thing without any glass or contact lenses.
  • i red an artical recently from an eyehealth bolg as below

Here I just want to remind those people that such advertisements are deceptive. As a matter of fact, such a low $500 price is just an attraction, aiming at drawing customers to come to the center, and then extra money will be asked for, which is usually more than a Lasik is expected. The Federal Trade Commission has raised the alarm to the centers which have made such deceptive advertisements.
    You may ask how the centers carry out the deception. There are many ways:
    If some people suffering moderately serious vision problems that may have an opportunity not to have an eye surgery, those centers will encourage them to have a surgery but with older and very limited technology. In this condition, their promises of low prices may come out for the unqualified equipments. For those people who really need an eye operation, they would be told that they are not qualified to the prices advertised, and then more money will be charged.
    Another tactic they apply to cheat customers is the provision of some of the optional choices, such as examination beforehand and follow-up afterward, but the point is that those examinations are musts for Lasik surgeries. Although these Lasik surgery chains will not force you to choose those examinations, they will warn you that without the pre and post treatments, you hardly able to get the maximum result. Therefore, after the summation of the so called "optical benefits", the whole price goes up.

Thus, from what has been illustrated above, we may conclude that nearly the same amount of money will be cost in both centers advertised to be cheap and those never making advertisement, but old equipments that should be abandoned years ago are usually and mostly applied in the so called cheap centers. Therefore, when you decide to go for an eye surgery, go for a reputable Claim center and a more professional surgeon, since it relates closely to your health, especially eyes very much.
  • RP2X wrote: »
    Is it true that even after a few years of having laser eye surgery your eyes can start to get bad again ?

Has anyone any information of this ? thx

Here is the conclusion from a recent paper addressing this issue:

"Currently, 4 studies with a combined total of 206 eyes have been published on postoperative LASIK results for myopia with follow-up >5 years...

In the present study, 63% of eyes were within +/-0.50 D and 83% were within +/-1.00 D of the intended correction at 2 years. This is consistent with the results of O’Doherty et al at 5 years. However, at last follow-up 7 to 8 years postoperatively, 34% of eyes were within +/-0.50 D and 42% were within +/-1.00 D. Similar to earlier results, myopic regression of the spherical equivalent refraction was noted. At 2 months, an undercorrection of -0.41 D was found; at 2-year follow-up, a minimal myopic regression to -0.57 D was noted, which continued to regress to -1.38 D at last followup. This trend toward myopic regression was noted in all 38 eyes, but it was more pronounced in eyes with preoperative spherical equivalent refraction >6.00 D and in patients aged <30 years. These results show that although refractive results after LASIK are relatively good in the short term, they tend to decline over time."

So,yes, lasik results will tend to get worse over time, especially after 7 years or more. Also, the larger the amount of preoperative myopia, the more regression you can expect in the future. LASIK will tend to stay stable for the first two years according to this paper.

The paper referenced is :

Seven-year Follow-up of LASIK for Myopia
    J Refract Surg. 2009;25:312-318.
    Waldir Neira Zalentein, MD; Timo M.T. Tervo, MD and Juha M. Holopainen, MD

Craig
  • Hi

I'm worried about the complications I am reading about on this thread of light sensitivity and poor night time vision.

Where I work the lighting is very bright for me and I wear slightly tinted glasses to deal with it. I keep out of the sun and always squint when outside.Is this light sensitive already? I also suffer floaters.

Would anyone say that LASIK will make my problems worse? Can anyone recommend the procedure for someone who is already light sensitive etc?

Would love to lose my glasses but I worry about the above!
  • jonaylor
    jonaylor Posts: 460 Forumite
    Hi,
    I had LASIK treatment at Optimax in Birmingham in 2002. Still have better than 20/20 vision and couldn't be happier. I do however wear sunglasess when out side a lot, even in winter but sunglasses are now cheap and funky instead of expensive prescrition ones. My night vision is no worse than my husbands (it isn't as good as in the past but think that's ageing not laser surgery!). Hope this helps (ps if nervous, ask for the Valium, it really relaxes you and hepls you to sleep after the procedure, which is the best thing to do anyway).
    :beer:
  • mutley74
    mutley74 Posts: 4,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi

I'm worried about the complications I am reading about on this thread of light sensitivity and poor night time vision.

Where I work the lighting is very bright for me and I wear slightly tinted glasses to deal with it. I keep out of the sun and always squint when outside.Is this light sensitive already? I also suffer floaters.

Would anyone say that LASIK will make my problems worse? Can anyone recommend the procedure for someone who is already light sensitive etc?

Would love to lose my glasses but I worry about the above!

Hi
    i had LASIK with wavefront. i was very light sensitive in first few months but that has decreased over the year. I do wear sunglasses more often but thats beacuse i love wearing them:) But i do get some glare from the strong car headlights out there. I think its a side effect you have to accept depending the benefits/risks you perceive from LAS. Get some professional opinions as i have heard some people not getting much light sensitivity so really its all down to your eyes and how the react to surgery.
  • orc_2
    orc_2 Posts: 563 Forumite
    edited 22 January 2010 at 10:47AM
    My wife had a consulation with Optimax, during the new year, we were given a price for the surgery.

We decided that we would wait and save a bit more for it, as we don't want the interest free option as I now have a policy of paying for something in full if I/ we decide to buy.

Optimax phoned us saying they had some spare capacity and would offer a discount of £1,500 if we agreed to book the surgery on one of those dates. We have done and are quite delighted at the reduction in cost.

It may pay people not to just rush into agreeing a date so soon after a consulatation as the same cost reduction might be available if you play a slight delay game with them and play hard to get.

Not saying it will work, but it could be a possibility.

Good luck.:)
    Please ignore those people who post on this forum who deliberately try to misinform you. Don't be bullied by them, don't be blamed by them. You know who I mean.
    You come here for advice, help and support- thats what I and like minded others will try to do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure