IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

NSL Parking Charge Notice on Leased Car

Options
Hi guys, newbie here.

I received a Parking Charge Notice on my leased car yesterday. My car was parked in an estate parking bay in an area controlled by Tower Hamlets Homes, the ticket was issued by NSL, who I understand are a private company.

I’ve read the Newbies thread as well as the many links and threads but I’m still unclear on one thing. The Newbies thread states that I must send the template letter off to NSL (via email or their website) before day 28 of when the PCN was received. My question is how soon? I understand the intention here is to get the PPC to engage directly with me and not to get the RK information or send off an NTK to the leasing company.

So, how soon would I submit the template to NSL? And then do I still wait for an NTK or a Notice to Hirer/Notice to Leasee?

What do you think my chances are of having this cancelled? The car was parked in a parking bay in an estate, the time stamp reads: 09.30 to/at: 09.31 - would anybody be able to advise me whether the 10 minute grace period that’s suggested in the BPA CoP would apply here as it’s not a retail/hospital car park where my ticket simply ran out of time but a parking bay on a council estate where the bays are for the local residents who have council issued car permits. Or am I just scuppered and I just cough up at this point before even beginning?

Never had one of these before and I’m trying to wrap my head around all the different but similar instances and the plethora of information regarding all of this, it’s quite a minefield at the minute!

I really appreciate any help or a nudge in the right direction.

Many thanks :)

Comments

• Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    So, how soon would I submit the template to NSL?
    Day 26 online, day 24 by post. But as a lease car is involved, maybe a day or so earlier in either case.
    What do you think my chances are of having this cancelled?
    None whatsoever by the PPC, a decent chance via POPLA - if you get your appeal point ducks in a row.
    Or am I just scuppered and I just cough up at this point before even beginning?
    Not to a bit-part Operator like NSL.

Are these parking bays on a public road?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Scoobylou9
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

So I’ll wait until day 25 (to be on the safe side) and email them the template from the Newbies thread.

You asked if the parking bays are on a public road, I’m actually unsure about how to answer that. It’s on a council estate where parking bays are allocated to residents of the estate. Up until a few months ago anybody was able to enter the estate via car and access the parking bays regardless of whether they were residents or not. However, recently the council installed a gate to deter flytippers and drug dealers from entering the area with their car (can access the area on foot though). Only residents who have a car space are given a key to lock and unlock the gate in order to enter and leave with their vehicle.

I have a key as we have another car and a parking bay with valid permit, which is why this car happened to also be parked on the estate, albeit in a car bay that was not mine. Nobody was deprived of a car space as there are always free bays throughout the day.

I’m not sure if this would be classed as being on a public road? :undecided
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    edited 22 March 2019 at 11:54PM
    Options
    if this is a lease or hire vehicle, scroll to the BOTTOM of post #1 and read the edna basher info, plus those templates and examples,[STRIKE] NOT the blue text template[/STRIKE]

edit below

use the blue text template around day 25 as a hirer responding to a windscreen notice, as per the instructions by umkomaas and edna basher in various posts on this thread
  • Scoobylou9
    Options
    Thanks for your reply.

I’ve read all three links relating to hire/lease cars but they don’t specify what you should do at the initial stage of receiving the PCN, their appeals relate to the failure of the PPC including the relevant documents with the NTK after receiving the hirers information from the hire/lease company.

So am I NOT to use the template supplied in post 1 of the Newbies thread?? Umkomaas has advised me to send it off on day 25/26. Very confused now.

I’ve already emailed the lease company and told them I’ve received a PCN from a private company and for them to ignore it/not respond to it as I’ll be appealing it. Having read those three threads though it seems the lease company will provide the PPC with my name and address anyway? And once they do that, I should wait 21 days to receive an NTK or NTH along with the relevant documents, right? Or rather I should hope that they don’t send those relevant documents so as to use it as a point of appeal.

Do you know if NSL would’ve taken photos of my car to use against me in case of an appeal? I say that because the car was parked directly in front of a sign.

I’m sorry if I’m not understanding this correctly.

Thanks for all the help so far.
  • Edna_Basher
    Options
    If it's a windscreen PCN that you're responding to, then the Blue Template keeper's "appeal" is the one to use.

It's best not to give the parking company any clue that the vehicle is leased - otherwise they might decide to go to the DVLA to get the lease company's details regardless of your "appeal" - in the hope that the lease company might just pay-up when it receives their notice to keeper.
  • Redx
    edited 23 March 2019 at 12:18AM
    Options
    thnaks for the clarification about a hirer responding to a windscreen ticket above

so do as EDNA says above , around day 25 as Umkomaas stated, as KEEPER
  • Scoobylou9
    Options
    Thank you.

So I’ll fire off the appeal template in blue text as provided on the Newbies thread on day 25. In the appeal I shall refer to myself as the “keeper” and not the leasee/hirer, is that right?

If they do send an NTK, will they definitely send that to me or do they cross check that information against the DVLA database and will send it to the car lease company instead?

The 3 links at the bottom of post 1 of the Newbies thread refer to posters who all received postal PCN’s via their car lease company and NOT a windscreen PCN as was/is the case with me.

Does this make a difference to the process at all?

I’d appreciate clarity on the above, I appreciate everybody’s help and fast responses. Many thanks.
  • Scoobylou9
    Options
    If anybody has a clue as I’ve not dealt with this before: Do you know if NSL would’ve taken photos of my car to use against me in case of an appeal? I say that because the car was parked directly in front of a clear sign. Does this affect my chances of having the PCN cancelled at POPLA stage?
  • Redx
    Options
    yes appeal using the blue text template as KEEPER, I have amended my earlier post, to clarify it

any NTK should go to the actual keeper, so to the hire co , due to DVLA records

anything to you should be an NTH , H for hirer , with the hire docs as well

I wouldnt worry about the further stages as yet, until you know what they have done and what they have failed to do

I have no doubt that any parking company operative who issued a windscreen ticket will have taken photos on a handheld camera. it would be utterly stupid not to do so
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,638 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It might be a good idea to tip off the hire company/lessor and instruct them not to pay anything to NSL, should they be contacted.

But see what others think.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport