Credit mistake compensation

Hi
I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice. My partner and I recently discovered that we were going to be having our second child. We are living in a two bedroom rented property with our 5 year old son. Over the past 2 years we have been saving as best we can for a deposit on a new home. When we found out we were having our second child we went to see a mortgage advisor with a 5 % deposit. We were advised on our possible budget and went looking for a house. We found our dream house and made an offer which was accepted, we went back to the mortgage advisor who applied for the amount that we spoke about and the mortgage was declined by two different lenders. We were informed that although we had no debts and our credit scores were very high that there was a default on my partners file. We eventually discovered a month down the line, and our dream home being sold to another buyer that it was an old loan from NatWest that should have been removed years ago. After filing a complaint we received a letter from NatWest apologising and accompanied by a cheque of £150 for any inconvenience caused which we had explained to them, and also that the credit file will be amended. Sorry for the long post, but my question is if anyone thinks that we should expect much more than £150 considering the stress it caused my 5 month pregnant partner, and the facts that we lost our dream house and that we are now in a 2 bedroom house with soon to be 2 children as moving is not an option over the last months of pregnancy.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• £150 is more then reasonable.
    £50 would also have been more than reasonable.
    Compensation isn’t a given for everything.

Why should the default have been removed?
  • Did your mortgage adviser not check your credit files prior to making an application?
    Hope they are not charging you!
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Natwest do not remove defaults from credit files; the CRA's do when the 6 years have elapsed.
    Why are Natwest compensating you for the failure of a CRA to remove a default in a timely manner?
  • Thanks for the replies, my honest answer is I’m not sure. We are not paying our mortgage advisor either. We were just told that when we applied for the mortgage that this old loan was on there as if it wasn’t paid off which it was, we contacted NatWest and they put it through there complaint team. I found it on my partners Noddle account credit file and it has since been removed, it took 34 days from when we received the letter and cheque for it to be removed so I was just guessing that it was NatWest that had removed it
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,870 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Tommo7787 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, my honest answer is I’m not sure. We are not paying our mortgage advisor either. We were just told that when we applied for the mortgage that this old loan was on there as if it wasn’t paid off which it was, we contacted NatWest and they put it through there complaint team. I found it on my partners Noddle account credit file and it has since been removed, it took 34 days from when we received the letter and cheque for it to be removed so I was just guessing that it was NatWest that had removed it

Your credit files are available to view for free from a large number of sourses on the world wide web, next time it may be prudent to check your files yourselves before submiting any further applications for credit.

The credit reference agencies can only act on the instructions of the creditor concerned, so Natwest are the guilty party here.

However, the £150 payment is more than fair concidering the breech.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    There is no reason, unless your partner has health problems that you cant move house.
    Pregnancy is not an illness and its best to keep active anyway as long as you can.
    I worked in a physical job up to 2 weeks before i was due ang gave birth about a week later
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • I was just a bit concerned that they were so quick to offer us compensation, it almost felt like a hush hush payment that was all. I really appreciate the help that you all have given me, however just a small response to Mckneff. Congratulations on working a physical job two weeks prior to giving birth, but it is not always the physical side that people struggle with during pregnancy so I suggest that in the future you consider that not everyone is the same.

Thank you again with the advice everyone, we shall now move forward thankful of the £150 and more importantly that my partner now has a clean credit file
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,593 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I was just a bit concerned that they were so quick to offer us compensation, it almost felt like a hush hush payment that was all.

natwest are pretty good at making decent offers quickly.

Would you rather they wasted your time arguing?
  • No certainly not, now I have received the advice I am very happy that they did compensate us. I just thought that I would double check that I wasn’t missing something, that is what this forum is for after all. And it is appreciated
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks for the replies, my honest answer is I’m not sure. We are not paying our mortgage advisor either.

On what grounds are you going to be refusing to pay them if they charge a fee?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure