We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Issue with daffodils

Icecannon
Icecannon Posts: 93 Forumite
edited 17 March 2019 at 4:59PM in Gardening
Not sure if it’s me or where I’m buying the bulbs from (Wilko)

Planted a few containers with different daffodils in November, only a couple of them have bloomed, loads have blooms about to open but all of them have small blooms and most have 2//3 blooms per stalk, I’m sure I bought bigger varieties.

Just wondering why they all have small flowers and only opening now, which seems late?

I used a good quality compost, and didn’t plant too many per container, and they are in a sunny area.

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Depends what sort you bought and what part of the country you are in. Some daffs flower later than others.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    ... and where in the garden (sun/shade etc)
    We've all sorts planted out here. Today some are spent, some are in full bloom, some aren't open yet

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • JulieM
    JulieM Posts: 749 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Newshound! I've been Money Tipped!
    You were possibly a bit late planting the bulbs, I would have planted them in September.
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Some of mine are only now starting to grow, others are in full bloom
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I believe it also depends on the amount of sun they receive.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,199 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Very variety dependent, some of mine, Tete a Tete are going over now, others, Prof Einstein & Mount Hood are only just in full bud about to open
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,058 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    What is the name of the variety you bought. You seem to have bought a multi headed daffodil or a narcissus

I have daffodils on containers that are flowering now, some in the garden that are flowering now and some others in the garden that are just budded.
  • Icecannon
    Icecannon Posts: 93 Forumite
    I bought around 5 different varieties, guess they were all small or narcissus?

I was thinking they were all multiheaded and small could have been through using the wrong compass or planting too late or early.

I’ll have to watch what I buy next time.
  • Arthog
    Arthog Posts: 223 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    It's possible to have Narcissi in flower from December right through to May - different named varieties. You can check out the flowering times of all of the varieties you have.
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Icecannon wrote: »
    Not sure if it’s me or where I’m buying the bulbs from (Wilko)

Planted a few containers with different daffodils in November, only a couple of them have bloomed, loads have blooms about to open but all of them have small blooms and most have 2//3 blooms per stalk, I’m sure I bought bigger varieties.

I've never bought daffodils from Wilko but I have bought tulips from there, and I'm sure that for at least half of them, what came up was definitely not what I thought I'd planted. It wasn't a huge issue but I do think some of their bulbs get mislabelled.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure