I want to believe I can do this!

Options

Comments

• ftbwannabe
    ftbwannabe Posts: 241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A few years back my bank made me reduce my overdraft, just when I was relying on it most (partner was out of work). They cut it by £75 a month until it was gone - better than having to pay it all in one go but still a nightmare. I ended up spending more on cards to cope - ugh.
    A couple of years later I applied for another overdraft, got it, & was always at the limit again. How did I not learn?
    I'd recommend including it alongside your credit cards in your plan to reduce debt, not necessarily as a priority, but remember you're probably paying interest on it, too.
    My bank let me reduce mine gradually, I rang them periodically & asked them to bring my limit down. I keep a small one in case I need cash not a credit card - but I don't use it and in the long term, once I've got rid of these cards & living in the black is normal (! imagine!) I will close it down.

Have a great day :-)
    Starting debt (Aug 2018) £17,900
    Debt free September 2021
  • pidge04
    pidge04 Posts: 792 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you so much for insights on overdrafts. Yes, it must be amazing to see + on your balance!
    I remembered today that I did pay off an overdraft when I left university by paying it back month after month. So I can do it again.
    I want to come up with my next plan and sharpen my focus seeing as one credit card will be paid off shortly.
    I need to get seriously proactive about looking for extra work/income in the coming months. Must do this.
    Saying that though, I had to give my work to someone else today. I had a bad headache and slept quite a bit of the day. Feel very weak. Hopefully back to business tomorrow after a good night!!!8217;s kip.
    I will be able to pay off £130 tomorrow. I love changing (lowering) the numbers on my signature! Find that quite addictive!
    All the best everyone.
    Store card £140 £117 - Store card £150 - Overdraft £200 - PayPal £364 - Loan 1 £5052 - Loan 2 £1733 - Credit card £2890 - Car hire purchase £3200 - Savings £0.
  • pidge04
    Options
    Yes ftbwannabe, I am paying £20 a month approximately for my overdrafts. Will be great to eliminate that every month from my outgoings.
    Thanks so much for the comments about overdrafts ... just what I needed to jolt me into action.
    This forum is a lifesaver to be honest.
    Store card £140 £117 - Store card £150 - Overdraft £200 - PayPal £364 - Loan 1 £5052 - Loan 2 £1733 - Credit card £2890 - Car hire purchase £3200 - Savings £0.
  • pidge04
    Options
    Ah, forgot to say that I am a couple of hundred quid away from my debt being under £10,000. Still an enormous sum of money but better than it was at the start of this year.
  • ftbwannabe
    ftbwannabe Posts: 241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Nearly under 10k - that's fantastic! I can't wait to say the same (but I'll be a while). Good on you, keep going...
    Starting debt (Aug 2018) £17,900
    Debt free September 2021
  • GlendaSugarbean
    Options
    Re: overdrafts, what I did was to pay off the whole lot with a 0% credit card, which I then paid off by DD within the 0% period. Personally I am much better with set payments than a flexible OD - I tried paying it off monthly but any unexpected expenses would take me back to square one. However I don't overspend on CCs, just my current account, so it all depends on what works for you.

I think the money transfer fee was 4% but my OD was about 15% so a big saving on interest charges.

Another option would be to open a basic current account for spending and lock down your other accounts so the only money sitting there is OD repayments.
  • pidge04
    Options
    Thank you GlendaSugarBean. I had no idea that could be done.

Just paid £123 off credit card so that makes it £599. Good to see it is in the 500s now!

Really want to find some time this weekend to read other diaries, to come up with a new plan and to apply for extra work for the Autumn.
  • pidge04
    Options
    I had 10 mins to myself so I jotted down some plans in my money notebook. Felt better almost instantly!

Everything I have spare (ha, ha!) will go onto the £599 credit card and I will get that paid off ASAP.

As soon as that is done, I will transfer the £2299 credit card.

I will apply for weekend work in a shop hopefully, organise the training sideline business and advertise for babysitting work. I will use that money to pay off my credit card. Will take a year if I pay £200 a month.

I will do a new SOA for my projected outgoings for the Autumn months.

I will continue to pay £90 off the 3rd credit card (balance is £423 I think). That will be gone around November/December.

When I do my new SOA, I will look to see how much I can throw at my overdrafts every month.

When my £599 credit card is at zero, I will add my 2 overdraft figures to my signature here.

In December I will be able to reduce my car payment hopefully.
  • Working_Mum
    Options
    Hi PIdge04,
    You are doing really well!

I had a really stubborn store-card which had a balance of around £600 for ages - I read on here about a "100 square" - where you divide your debt into 1% chunks and mark each one off as you make a payment - it is easier finding £6 here and there!! It helped me re-position the debt and I am now over 30% of this debt paid in a couple of months.

Good luck with your continued debt busting!
  • pidge04
    edited 12 August 2018 at 10:17AM
    Options
    Thanks so much Working Mum!

I did start that and it soon fell by the wayside. I am going to re-start it! Thank you! Highly motivating to think of it in £6 chunks!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure