Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 21st Jan 18, 4:47 PM
    • 712Posts
    • 2,756Thanks
    dustydigger
    Dusty's Frugal Fortnights
    • 21st Jan 18, 4:47 PM
    Dusty's Frugal Fortnights 21st Jan 18 at 4:47 PM
    I love MSE,so much wisdom and practical advice for someone seeking to improve not just finances but the quality of life. However it is surely a time eater,and being frugal with my time is certainly a high priority on my agenda! I spend way to much time online these days,and frequenting MSE has added another hour to the total!
    So I thought it wiser for now to have a diary where I can post my thoughts and plans,rather than posting - however much fun it is - on lots of threads.
    I will be 70 end of a,Mr Dusty is 78. We live on the guaranteed minimum income pension,and need to live frugally,because with 4 children,5 granddaughters,a great granddaughter with a great grandson due in March,plus various partners making a grand total of 14 people to buy for at Xmas and birthdays I definitely need to keep control of my finances. Plus of course saving for household needs,and all the normal expenses of running a home.
    For years there was always at least one child in dire financial straits,but things thankfully have stabilized,they have jobs and are settled,and at last I can get my finances firmly under control.I have one more arg*s payment and then I am totally debt free
    I have my bills on direct debit,and this month have set up several bank accounts for different purpose,and am starting this new year with eagerness for once (more later on various woes).Mr Dusty saves for himself,but he has family in Africa where life is extremely hard and he has constant drains on his finances.All the bills and running the house come out of my part of our income,and we arrange our affairs on a fortnightly basis. I hope keeping track of all my affairs in a mindful manner will lead to a feeling of financial security and stability - and its quite fun too challenging myself to live in a frugal way. A new fortnight starts tomorrow
    I also hope to add posts about decluttering and organizing the home,about my Slimming World continuing challenges,recycling,and also about the Sealed Pot challenge,surveys,hobbies etc,and anything really that comes into my head!
    Looking forward to improving many parts of my life!
    Last edited by dustydigger; 16-05-2018 at 10:28 AM.
    SPC 2019 # 012 -House & Home Fund 2019 - 35 (+ c/f from 2018= 566) AF Mar-Nov 269 days+ Dec 19/24 Books read 2018:153 Prolific 5.20
    total savings 2018:1992card xmas savings 2018:1452 Savers 2018 - 220

Page 34
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 21st Dec 18, 12:51 PM
    • 712 Posts
    • 2,756 Thanks
    dustydigger
    My house looks like an Amaz*n warehouse! DS1 has been away in Worcester all week,and I have no less than 9 boxes and parcels stacked along the wall by the stair door,bit of a squeeze getting through,but I have all the stacked family presents on top of the cupboards in the corner,plus two sacks and the kids usual toy boxes standing beside the TV.On the only other wall space is propped my daughter's hostess warming buffet set.no room for it in the diner nook. I also have two big boxes and a small carpet stacked on the couch for my daughter. Hopefully they will go away tonight.But my son says he will come on Sunday to wrap all the parcels,so I will still look like a warehouse till then I have also had several parcels for DS2 and GD3,but thank goodness they took them away during the week.I also get parcels almost everyday for my neighbours,who both work,they are always stacked at the foot of the stairs waiting for them to come home.
    Aah.....I can only daydream about a minimalist home,and a serene,quiet life........nice fantasy,no signs of it in any shape or form in real life
    SPC 2019 # 012 -House & Home Fund 2019 - 35 (+ c/f from 2018= 566) AF Mar-Nov 269 days+ Dec 19/24 Books read 2018:153 Prolific 5.20

• mark88man
    • By mark88man 21st Dec 18, 12:55 PM
    • 3,896 Posts
    • 9,219 Thanks
    mark88man
    Good luck and have a good holiday (although it all sounds like a lot of work tbh) - enjoy the last few days of this year, and its great to have plans for next year
    Things happen for a reason. Often the reason is we are stupid & make bad decisions.
    Weight/Health - Fluctuating - better than I was worse than I should be
    End 18: CC:8K@0% - Car Loan:11K@2.8% - Mort:133K@2.1% = 152K
    Decrease in Total Debt 2016:13.4K 2017:8.3K 2018:20K

• dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 21st Dec 18, 1:51 PM
    • 712 Posts
    • 2,756 Thanks
    dustydigger
    All this Xmas cash shopping (I put my cash in a separate purse) lead to quite a lot of coins for the credit union.35 went in this week,making 55 added since we started the new Sealed Pot challenge in November.
    Very pleased to say I have 45 left in said Xmas purse,which will cover the butcher's bill hopefully tomorrow,other odds and ends will come out of our new fortnight's budget,so I have financially sorted Xmas brilliantly:
    Things still to do.
    +Library book to return,then get Coca Cola at Her*ns if possible. My Asd@ delivery sent a substitute.the Zero version,which Mr D doesnt like,so i sent it back. Hope there's some there,Dont fancy the Asd@ madhouse.
    + Collect the chicken for Mr D ,get it jointed by the butcher,I will casserole a part of it it on Sunday.Mr Dusty doesnt like roast chicken,he says it is tasteless since no salt can percolate in it,so I will casserole his,and then crisp it up in the oven for 15 minutes. I will roast another chicken for the family on the day. I will also get lamb leg steaks. I have the beef in the freezer already.
    +get a few oddments at Ald!,and wont be returning there till the new year.Hope they have stuff in stock. Last week they had no tikka slices,corned beef pasties,and other items.The shelves were half bare. Oh and I could only manage to see one jar of blue lid peanut butter among acres of orange lids Fingers crossed they do better today.I need some red salmon for sandwiches.
    +change bedding,wash bedding on Saturday.Praying the family decide not to visit so I can get things done! Need to unearth and wash glassware and crockery.
    +cook chicken and lamb steaks on Sunday.Clean bathroom.(but wont put down my best bath set till Monday night). Hopefully get the sitting room back to some reasonable state when my son wraps all his presents up!
    Worst thing,Monday morning go and stand about an hour in the butcher's for my fresh chicken,stuffing,pease pudding,cooked ham etc.Also collecting the bread and buns,and struggle home in a packed bus,running late with Mr Ds dinner,which he will grumble about,same every year.
    And I need to READ,READ,READ in any spare minutes.

....another parcel just arrived,this one for GD3.Wonder if I should get a job as a postmistress......

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 21st Dec 18, 5:42 PM
    • 63,658 Posts
    • 282,110 Thanks
    beanielou
    I know what I would be doing with said frying pan!
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • GlendaSugarbean
    • By GlendaSugarbean 22nd Dec 18, 5:43 AM
    • 587 Posts
    • 4,339 Thanks
    GlendaSugarbean
    You are busy! Hope you get some help over Xmas and can put your feet up.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 22nd Dec 18, 7:15 PM
    • 63,658 Posts
    • 282,110 Thanks
    beanielou
    You could charge per parcel
    That would build up your sealed pot or credit union!!
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 24th Dec 18, 6:38 PM
    • 1,789 Posts
    • 11,066 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Merry Christmas Dusty,hope you have a lovely day xx
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = 17,630 Paid To Date = 1,993 Total Now Owed = 15,637
    Emergency Fund = 1,600 Xmas savings = 350 Start Weight 4/6/19 = 10 ST 11LB
    Current Weight = 10 ST 8 LB
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 18th Jan 19, 8:53 AM
    • 1,946 Posts
    • 11,237 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Hi Dusty

Missing you and your updates and hoping that you and yours are all OK and had a lovely time over the festive season.
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

259Posts Today

2,641Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Channel 4 really screwed up not doing this on the Tory leaders debate last night, just think of the ratings... https://t.co/eYYfAYGdck

• Teacher/head in a London(ish) senior school? I want film a 1hr ish talk to 16-18 yr olds on student finance (to put? https://t.co/dSsSp1UVDF

• RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• Follow Martin