Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 21st Jan 18, 4:47 PM
    • 712Posts
    • 2,756Thanks
    dustydigger
    Dusty's Frugal Fortnights
    • 21st Jan 18, 4:47 PM
    Dusty's Frugal Fortnights 21st Jan 18 at 4:47 PM
    I love MSE,so much wisdom and practical advice for someone seeking to improve not just finances but the quality of life. However it is surely a time eater,and being frugal with my time is certainly a high priority on my agenda! I spend way to much time online these days,and frequenting MSE has added another hour to the total!
    So I thought it wiser for now to have a diary where I can post my thoughts and plans,rather than posting - however much fun it is - on lots of threads.
    I will be 70 end of a,Mr Dusty is 78. We live on the guaranteed minimum income pension,and need to live frugally,because with 4 children,5 granddaughters,a great granddaughter with a great grandson due in March,plus various partners making a grand total of 14 people to buy for at Xmas and birthdays I definitely need to keep control of my finances. Plus of course saving for household needs,and all the normal expenses of running a home.
    For years there was always at least one child in dire financial straits,but things thankfully have stabilized,they have jobs and are settled,and at last I can get my finances firmly under control.I have one more arg*s payment and then I am totally debt free
    I have my bills on direct debit,and this month have set up several bank accounts for different purpose,and am starting this new year with eagerness for once (more later on various woes).Mr Dusty saves for himself,but he has family in Africa where life is extremely hard and he has constant drains on his finances.All the bills and running the house come out of my part of our income,and we arrange our affairs on a fortnightly basis. I hope keeping track of all my affairs in a mindful manner will lead to a feeling of financial security and stability - and its quite fun too challenging myself to live in a frugal way. A new fortnight starts tomorrow
    I also hope to add posts about decluttering and organizing the home,about my Slimming World continuing challenges,recycling,and also about the Sealed Pot challenge,surveys,hobbies etc,and anything really that comes into my head!
    Looking forward to improving many parts of my life!
    Last edited by dustydigger; 16-05-2018 at 10:28 AM.
    SPC 2019 # 012 -House & Home Fund 2019 - 35 (+ c/f from 2018= 566) AF Mar-Nov 269 days+ Dec 19/24 Books read 2018:153 Prolific 5.20
    total savings 2018:1992card xmas savings 2018:1452 Savers 2018 - 220

Page 31
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th Oct 18, 6:43 PM
    • 63,645 Posts
    • 282,004 Thanks
    beanielou
    I don't know how you do it!!
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 17th Oct 18, 7:13 PM
    • 1,789 Posts
    • 11,051 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Dusty I think you need to down tools and take to your bed,you won't be able to look after him at all if you fall seriously ill
    What are threes tablets that he is taking that means he has to eat exactly 20minutes after he's taken them,I'm sure it's not set in stone and a bit of leeway won't hurt
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = 17,630 Paid To Date = 1,993 Total Now Owed = 15,637
    Emergency Fund = 1,600 Xmas savings = 350 Start Weight 4/6/19 = 10 ST 11LB
    Current Weight = 10 ST 8 LB
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 18th Oct 18, 9:59 AM
    • 559 Posts
    • 1,631 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Oh Dusty! Please take care of yourself... If you are unwell as well he shouldn't be making these demands when you are already working so hard/ doing your best.
    Total Debt : ?? / 7266.93
    Weight Loss: ?? kg / 45kg
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 18th Oct 18, 8:21 PM
    • 63,645 Posts
    • 282,004 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope you have been ok today.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • GlendaSugarbean
    • By GlendaSugarbean 19th Oct 18, 7:18 AM
    • 587 Posts
    • 4,336 Thanks
    GlendaSugarbean
    Hope you're feeling better. Can you ask someone to come in and help with DH so you can rest? He might be more polite to a guest .

Otherwise that offer of a shovel and a watertight alibi is still available...
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 19th Oct 18, 10:49 AM
    • 712 Posts
    • 2,756 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Hi people,sorry not be around yesterday,I was probably at my worst,feeling much better today. I warned Mr D yesterday morning that I was preparing as much as I could for his needs,stocked him up with water,medication etc and went back to bed myself. A couple of hours was all I could stand of lying in bed so I soon got up again.I did have a 2 hour nap in the afternoon.
    The cramps have abated for Mr D,but he is still feeling battered and uncomfortable,so spent most of the day dozing off and feeling pitiful! I dread the next few days when he is in the recuperating male patient acting like a demanding child stage,because everything I do is wrong and we are quarrelling all the time. Water off a duck's back though,and I havent the energy to tell you about it.He has insisted on acting the martyr this morning, going out to town on an errand,all wrapped up,looking like a martyr bravely going to his death,carrying a drink with him,because,you know he mustnt get dehydrated.Couldnt find his bus pass and debit card,I had to search through 4 coats and several pair of trousers to locate the folder.....
    Definitely keep the shovels handy,and preparing alibis,just in case
    Hated yesterday when I had the sweats and the shivers,but seem to be past that today so feeling much better,and hoping to get some reading done . I just havent been able to concentrate on it the last few days,and I am down to 40 pages a day,which isnt going to get me very far,when most of my books are 600 pages or more. I cut my plans down from 14 to 12 books,then to 10 books,now its going to be 8 books,
    Have almost totally abandoned my aim to finish the Hugo winners this year,disappointing but I'll finish them next year.I have removed pertinent 900 pages and 800 pages books,replaced them with 400 and 500 page lighter reads,so as to finish my 12x12 challenge this year. Checked up,I have 22 books left to finish the challenge. I still have 10 books to finish my Worlds Without End Pick N Mix challenge,70/80 read there,and many of the books overlap with the 12x12..Its likely still will have to find a handful more books for the Alphabet challenge,but probably 26 books left to read this year,hope I can do it.
    Tweaking my challenge books by replacing massive tomes with shorter reads,and replacing the long,complex and often difficult to read SF award winners with fun light space opera etc should help to reduce stress to complete challenge. I want reading to be fun,not a chore!
    SPC 2019 # 012 -House & Home Fund 2019 - 35 (+ c/f from 2018= 566) AF Mar-Nov 269 days+ Dec 19/24 Books read 2018:153 Prolific 5.20

• dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 22nd Oct 18, 7:02 PM
    • 712 Posts
    • 2,756 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Ouch.I did a long post,and tried to save it and was told something about a token had expired,press the back button,refresh the page,whatever,and in the end the whole post disappeared. Cant be bothered to do it all over again,so will only say now that Mr Dusty is slowly recovering,after a bad time on Friday and Saturday when for the first time he had a high temperature was burning up,then chills,coming in waves. Since this is how I have been suffering I am wondering if my bugs passed to him,and the two illnesses combined to make him feel very bad. I spent 6 hours soaking cloths and towels in cold water to cover him and finally bring the temp down. I didnt get to bed till after 2 in the morning.Saturday was the worst of it,but once the fever broke he has made some recovery,still weak of course,but now eating a little and the stomach is improving. But that terrible temp that night upset me badly. I suffer the same sort of thing frequently and its pretty bad,but I am used to it - and a woman,of course,so I can cope.
    Of course I am still running around after Mr Dusty,he is a rotten patient,but thats normal!. Friday night was rather awful. Stomach bugs must be going around,my granddaughter had to come home from work and go straight to bed. The winter germs seem to be starting early,it could me a bad winter for the NHS.
    Yay,finished my 5th book of the month today,Am I likely to reach even the revised target of 8 books? Possibly,if Mr D keeps on improving,my sweats and chills go away,and the stress reduces so that I can focus my mind on reading.
    I have been binge watching for days 18 episodes of Idris Elba's ''Luther'' on the iPlayer. It was OK,Idris is likeable enough,but the plots rapidly became utterly ridiculous,with no resemblance to realistic police procedure whatsoever. I spent a lot of the time talking to the TV set,calling it rubbish,but certainly I didnt need to use any critical faculties it was so unbelievableI just went with the flow. And of course I wasnt bothered when I had to pause the story every 10 minutes to cope with Mr Dusty. .
    Absolutele exhausted . I did 2 washloads,all the bedding towels and nightwear fron the last 10 days. Fortunately it was a nice sunny day,some wind,but not enough to wrap the washing round the line,I hate that.Did mountains of washing up both left over from yesterday and the elaborate surf and turf and rice I made for dinner. Then I went off to the shops to do a top up shop,Dried a lot of clothes on the radiators since the sheets etc took up the whole washing line. Took both me and Mr D to manage to get the fresh bedding on he beds,we were both sweating and exhausted by time we did it. But it will be nice lying on lovely fresh sheets tonight!
    I am now going to watch an episode of Department Q on the iPlayer,I enjoyed the books a lot but never saw the TV versions. I certainly spend most of the time I do watch TV looking at stuff on demand. I think I have been using the TV as a stress buster,watching more TV now than I have for years I hardly ever watch the ordinary scheduled TV,though,but trawl throuh iplayer and All4 for interesting stuff..
    Off to watch Department Q then reheat food for Mr Ds supper,couldnt have managed to cook tonight. I should sleep welltonight!

• dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 24th Oct 18, 10:23 AM
    • 712 Posts
    • 2,756 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Mr D is slowly recovering,but being a martyr. Making him roasties today for the first time in a fortnight. Am back into the old routine of cooking again,and ,as I have put on 2 stone these last 4 months I am feeling heavy and miserable about the gain,and after a year's respite and the knee ops improving my mobility,my knees are starting to feel painful again,from the sudden extra weight,and of course all the running around after Mr D,doing all the shopping,trotting off to town and cleaning up after a fortnight's neglect and chaos,the knees are protesting.
    Yesterday I told him I was having a day off from cooking and bought fish and chips,a very rare thing,and he had mushroom soup and sandwiches for supper,but today is wanting a full meal. Roasties,beef casserole,carrots.
    On the finance front,am putting 15 in the credit union today. Now I do more shopping myself,I am getting more change,so am doing quite well there.Its the end of the Sealed Pot challenge on 31st October,and I am amazed at how much you can save with just spare change.
    History group today,havent even opened the bag since the last attendance. And STILL havent told you about the info I got about my ancestor James' occupation back in the 1790s. Maybe tonight after the group!
    Oh dear,I am running very late with the dinner, 20 minutes late doing the potatoes because of coming on here,so I must run nowb efore Mr D returns from the town and says he is starving!

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 24th Oct 18, 5:50 PM
    • 63,645 Posts
    • 282,004 Thanks
    beanielou
    You should have more days off from cooking.
    For the good of your health.

***Keep plodding***
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 29th Oct 18, 9:31 AM
    • 712 Posts
    • 2,756 Thanks
    dustydigger
    You wont believe it,but Mr D is still being a martyr about his upset stomach. He has made an appointment to see the nurse this morning,fat lot of good that will be. I have become really irritated about it all. My son came yesterday and both he and Mr D were picking on me for not being sympathetic. In fact my son said I seemed angry about Mr D being ill which was very hard hearted of me. Alright for him to say,apart from a couple of 5 minute visits and a phone call,he hasnt had to take care of Mr D for 18 days,when I have continuous health problems of my own which dont garner any attention whatsoever!).I am a nervous wreck,depressed and poorly,binge eating,putting on weight at an alarming rate - 6 lb last month,6 lb this - which is impacting on my knees.And lots of other things on my mind.My daughter will be moving in a few days,and there is an awful lot to do to the flat she has been given.I have had to help out with cash towards stuff she needs including cash for the removal van.There goes a chunk of the savings,but a blessing I do have savings now in my MSE days
    I need to do my budget,but Mr D will be back soon from the bank,getting our ''pay'',and he will be obsessing about his surgery appointment at 11.20. He has had me writing down a full account of his and illness,dates when he started and stopped taking tablets.symptoms etc,and doubtless another run through of the details..He will expect full attention, We are having so many rows these days as I am not myself,I've lost patience and my sense of humour,and life is difficult, What a life.
    Oh and about the court business,the replacement judge was supposed to be going to interpret the court ruling,so many unresolved issues,but he has now said we need to negociate with the woman,who now says she will move out if we buy her a piece of land. She wants a mere 17,000 pounds to do so. Mr D is apoplectic to say the least.
    Off now to have a bath and wash my hair(.I'm still in nightie and dressing gown,a rare thing for me). then start dinner. Will try to post my budget this afternoon.

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 29th Oct 18, 11:39 AM
    • 63,645 Posts
    • 282,004 Thanks
    beanielou
    So sorry that things are so dire for you.
    Keep plodding.

***Keep plodding***
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 31st Oct 18, 10:06 AM
    • 712 Posts
    • 2,756 Thanks
    dustydigger
    So sorry that things are so dire for you.
    Keep plodding.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Actually,Beanie Lou,at the moment I am so busy I havent got time to be very down!
    My daughter got the keys for her new council flat on Friday and the council ,who had been in there a fortnight actually,apart from new kitchen cupboards,dont seem to have done much at all.
    The place belonged to an old lady,who doesnt seem to have decorated in 20 years or more.The carpets are gone,I suppose they were ''minging'' as my granddaughters so elegantly put it,everything is filthy,walls and paintwork in particular. In the past the council would have stripped the walls and skimmed them,and at least slapped on on basic magnolia,but not these days with budget cuts.Its pretty horrendous.So out come the wallpaper scrapers and all hands on deck because my daughter wants it done before the carpets come on Friday. Little hope of that I think,as there are numerous layers of paper to get rid of But we will do what we can.
    GD1 moved out this morning.,15miles away near to her job.DD1 and GD2 were out - more about that later - and she didnt get back from a 3 day work trip to London till 10.30 last night,so I got roped in to wait for the moving van this morning while she had to get to her new flat to meet them.The bed still had to dismantled this morning!That was the plan,but she charmed the movers to let her travel with them,so in the end I wasnt needed,though I was up at 6 am,and at their door by 7 am! She had a lot of stuff from her last flat,its amazing just how many trips they had to make up and down the stairs,but they were fit young men and did in all in 15 minutes,and off they went at 915.waved her off,feeling a bit sad at the end of an era. Ah well, thats one room sorted anyway! GD3 is moving this weekend,but only to a friend's 5 minutes away,it will just take a couple of trips to move her stuff,with my son's work van,no having to pay 95 like GD1.
    Stopping now to start the dinner,rice and potatoes,spicy cabbage and barbecued chicken wings.
    Hopefully I can do another post before Mr Dusty returns from the city all cold and starving

• dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 31st Oct 18, 10:27 AM
    • 712 Posts
    • 2,756 Thanks
    dustydigger
    As I said DD1 and GD3 werent aroundthis morning,because they had to trot off to Middlesbrough for a sort of ''do'' put on for the surgeon who did my granddaughter's major op for scholiosis. The xray of her back was horrific,the bones up near the base of her neck looked exactly like the''more than'' sign > The acute angle the spinal chord had to manoeuvre could have been very dangerous.a sudden jerk and the chord could have been dangerously damaged.Originally they had intended to wait for a couple of years,but the deviation of the bones became so acute they had to do it 2 years early. The whole blew up from nothing in the matter of a year.It was a four hour op,and inside she is a mass of steel bars and rivets,but he did a fantastic job and she is fine now,so in spite of the busy morning it seemed only right to go and show appreciation,which is why I was roped in to help GD1 and see her off.

• dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 31st Oct 18, 11:12 AM
    • 712 Posts
    • 2,756 Thanks
    dustydigger
    I have been to and fro on all my various savings sites,as the Sealed Pot challenge ends today,we announce our total savings for the year tomorrow.really really pleased with my results. In the end I cashed in 77 from surveys,very pleased with that considering how many I miss because of the awkward time they announce them. I miss out on probably 4 out of 5 surveys.I can see how some people can make a lot of dosh from them. All in allI have about 50 stacking up waiting to reach the limits. eg now I have 34 from You Gov,but need 50 to cash out,so a long long wait
    Good year on the whole savings scene.Saved up,without any hassle, enough for the laptop internet protection,the home insurance in one payment,so no monthly DD,the passport fund (will sort that in November),and numerous birthdays,lovely not to have to strain to do that I'll post the final figures tomorrow
    Hopefully I will finally get round to posting my budget later today. Better late than never

• dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 31st Oct 18, 11:31 AM
    • 712 Posts
    • 2,756 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Yay! Just received my one year badge. Been a real roller coaster ride but here's hoping year 2 goes better.
    I'd like to thank all of you who have followed my moans and groans,and marvelled at the antics of Mr Dusty. 2175 ''thanks'' and an amazing 28,000 views. Wow!
    Coming here has been a real comfort,a real relief. I think I am still recovering from losing my sister in January 2017,probably that factors into the depression,stress and loneliness.I was probably just numb for the first year,and it only hit later.The shock of the thyroid issue didnt help eitherThis site has been a welcome distraction from the miseries of real life,so thanks to all who have popped in to read my rather weird ramblings.

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 31st Oct 18, 2:57 PM
    • 63,645 Posts
    • 282,004 Thanks
    beanielou
    Happy 1 year badge.
    What a lot has happened in a year!

***Keep plodding***
    • GlendaSugarbean
    • By GlendaSugarbean 1st Nov 18, 6:22 AM
    • 587 Posts
    • 4,336 Thanks
    GlendaSugarbean
    Happy anniversary! What are your thoughts on your next year?
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 1st Nov 18, 6:55 AM
    • 712 Posts
    • 2,756 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Here's the budget better late than never!
    Dusty's Frugal Fortnight : 29th October - 11th November
    income: 291 from Mr Dusty,71 my pension, total 362
    outlay:
    Save the Children DD - 3
    Water Aid DD - 3
    Asd@ online shop - 44
    birthday fund - 10
    NS&I (for USA trip) - 50
    PO savings (mixed bag) - 20
    gas and electric - 91
    phone and broadband - 30
    Asd@ delivery charge - 5
    Home Budget Box (cash) - 141

----------------------------------
    total outlay - 386
    income - 362
    top up from savings - 24

Hate to see that top up from savings,I enjoyed living within my cash budget and sending my surplus to the bank at the beginning of each fortnight but I really needed to do a direct debit for the USA trip to make sure I save.
    All saving on Tesc* cards is ended,I think the vouchers will arrive around 20th Nov,about 60 towards drinks.Everyone gets a bottle in their Xmas goody bag,I reckon that with the 36 I have on an Asd@ card the whole of that outlay is totally covered.Will get a home delivery to get cashback too,around a fiver I think so its a nice frugal plan all round.

• dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 1st Nov 18, 9:21 AM
    • 712 Posts
    • 2,756 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Happy anniversary! What are your thoughts on your next year?
    Originally posted by GlendaSugarbean
    Hi Glenda! I will certainly keep on applying what I have learned on MSE.1. My main goals;
    1. This coming six months will be dominated on the savings front with the projected USA trip in May. After that I will be back to saving for Xmas.,
    2. I need to rebuild my emergency fund,all 400 has had to go to help my daughter get carpets and decorate her new flat. Fortunately I have 500 in my credit union put aside for when the white goods all decide to break down together,so thats fine,but there isnt going to be any cash available if anyone in the family needs help its all. gone!Once the bills are paid out this month my CA is going to look extremely pitiful indeed. So rebuilding is a priority.
    3. After a 6 month hiatus,getting over the shock of the thyroid problem I will try to lose at least some of the 2 stone I regained lately,but its going to be hard.
    4. Must get back to decluttering,getting rid of excess stuff. I keep thinking how if I pop off I have so much junk for the family to get rid of.I am determined to bit the bullet with my booksand also papers. A year ago I got rid of so much stuff and I felt so unburdene by it. I want to get back into the fray and feel that again.Mind you,cant do a thing about Mr Packrat's stuff,which has taken over several rooms

• Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 1st Nov 18, 2:16 PM
    • 682 Posts
    • 5,007 Thanks
    Chrystal
    Dusty which supermarket gives you cashback for your weekly shop? I've looked at Asd@ and it seems to be for first timers only.
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,908Posts Today

7,838Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Oh if only one were brave/honest enough to say "my mental health" - in answer to the weakness question. I say this? https://t.co/RyihpzwPdY

• Been out with the little one, just got back and turned the #c4debate on. What have i missed? Who is winning?

• It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Follow Martin