From debt to freedom...

Options

Comments

• louby40
    louby40 Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fingers crossed he gets an interview!

My son is being kept on after his apprenticeship, his boss is upping his wage and paying for him to go to college one day a week.
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    That's encouraging for him. Is your son's apprenticeship a 2 year one?

I feel more in the dark over apprenticeships but am amazed at the variety of positions advertised. One has a closing date of mid May so a little wait but the other closing date was Sunday. So am hoping DS1 will hear something even if it's a no.
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Resisted the temptation to go to Mr T's today. DD3 had a cooking lesson so came home with a quiche she had made, which teamed nicely with a jacket potato and salad.

The plants are coming on in the greenhouse. I think the tomatoes will be ready to plant into larger pots and to start staking to a bamboo cane. The courgettes have all germinated and growing true leaves now. I could just do with a dry couple of hours to get a bed or two ready to plant the seedlings out soon.
  • louby40
    Options
    My sons apprenticeship could have been 2 years but he's opted to only do 1 as the pay is so poor.

It's only £3.50 something an hour - so he would be 19 and a half and only earning £500 a month still at the end of his apprenticeship- it's such rubbish money. A 16 year old could get a job and earn double that working in a pub!!!
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    DS1 has had an email asking him to contact someone by phone about one of the positions so he is encouraged by that. If he does get that position we will have to factor in the cost of a moped to get there as the location is really remote and there is no way he could get there by public transport. I've no idea about how much these things cost so will have to research it. DS1 does have some savings - birthday and Christmas monies that were saved when he was a baby and some from his grandfather (FIL) . I would need the ex to agree to anything spent from that. I think FIL ( deceased) would have been supportive of something that enabled work.

I had a day of mistakes yesterday! First one was going to a garden centre...particularly one that has about 5 different companies worth of seeds. I did choose mainly edible plants so have bought runner beans, mangetout, tomatoes ( different variety), sweetcorn, lettuce and cosmos. It came to a whopping £18. :eek:. The cost of seed is certainly rising. Hoping I can recoup a bit of the £18 if I can sell any of the seedlings.

Second mistake was doing the weekly shop with most of the children with me. I did menu plan before going so had a clear list. I sent DS1 off with the task of getting 4 boxes of breakfast cereal for no more than £5. He got 5 for £5.30 but I'm glad it made him look, compare and think. I ended up spending £121 :eek: where usually I might spend £80. The extras came from 2 DDs needing new sun hats and school are quite strict on this and DD3 needing ( and it was a need as she is a different size to her sisters so no hand me downs) pyjamas. The teenagers all seemed to need deodorants if various kinds! I'm also buying larger bags of dog food to accommodate feeding an extra one that is lactating. We also got a carton of puppy milk just in case. The dog is not very maternal and prefers to run around the garden given half a chance. We keep her in with the pups to make sure they are kept warm by being near her but obviously with times out to stretch her legs and run. Our old dog that had a litter of puppies ( 10 years ago) was completely devoted to them and we had trouble encouraging her out to stretch her legs. Total contrast! The carton of milk is there just in case she becomes even less maternal.

On a positive note, I've paid for DS2's camp so that's done:). Hopefully only 2 more driving lessons to pay for DD2. The driving part of her test is soon and am hoping that she will pass that. It will make such a difference to her independence and given her choice of work, will enable her to go further afield for any jobs.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just curiosity but why is ex'es agreement needed for money left to DS1 from his Grandad? I'm not familiar with how things work when under 18s are left money in a will.

Both mine have savings accounts, with DH on DS and me on DD as trustees, no special reason why, DH had ID on him when we went to open DS account. I did DD's because it was in the days when I didn't work so had more time. DD also gets the CTF. They both seemed to forget about the money as they grew up, then last year DD had her first boyfriend, who told her all about the Government's CTF and she came home wanting to know how much was in it. Interestingly though DS turned 18 last month, he's showed no inclination of wanting to spend his savings account money knowing it's for the sort of thing you're describing.

Taking kids grocery shopping always adds to the bill doesn't it, without any extras on top.

Hoping to hear some point in the future all the meals you're making out of your new grown crop from your seedlings.

How long has it taken your DD to put in for her driving test from starting? DS started in Jan, but I'm kicking myself that he didn't start earlier. We applied for his provisional not long after his 17th birthday last year, but the photo was rejected and the cheque refunded in DS name not DH's had paid for it and it took months for DS to put the cheque back in his bank account and start applying again. At the minute he's having 1.5hr lesson per week, I had to veto the 2hr ones due to cost, but he's applied to go to Uni in Sept 100 miles away, and I'm secretly worrying he won't have passed by then. He doesn't need a car at Uni and couldn't afford to run one either, but I'm thinking to the future when he either does a work placement year or graduates, to give him more options.
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    DD was 17 in September, so Insorted out the license in August but I think it went through quickly because she has an up to date passport so I just had to fill in the passport number. It will be harder with DS because he has never been keen on travelling abroad for school trips so doesn't have one.

DD started lessons shortly after her birthday and had a block of 6 at an introductory rate which I included as part of her birthday present, then other family members gave her money so that she could buy another block of 10. That took us to Christmas. Unfortunately I just couldn't afford the £50 a week straight after Christmas so she resumed lessons in Feb. It is tricky because she expects me to pay but it's hard to scrape that money together. We live quite a distance from the nearest exam centre so she has to have 2 hour lessons to allow time to drive there. Unfortunately it's not where she goes to college because some instructors will pick up and drop off from college. She does go out on driving practice with her dad which I'm sure helps. If she passes next month it will 8 months from start to finish. That said her friend passed his test recently and took 3 months but I think he had prior driving experience.

DS's money is tricky because his grandfather gifted it to him 4 years before he died. It's not a huge amount but would, I think, be able to get him a moped. I would worry about the ex's reaction if I didn't check it, though I guess when he turns 18 I won't feel that compulsion as it will be in DS's control then.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You are such a lovely person Honeysuckle, giving the ex the sort of courtesy he doesn't give you - dog and pups left with you, without asking you first. :( I can see it's tricky though, maintaining a balance when he also does things like take DD out driving, which will help along with her paid lessons. I pay £25 an hour for DS and he either collects him from our house or outside his college and drops off at home, so we do get a good deal there.:)
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Thank you for your kind words Spendless. I'm working on the principle that the best way I can raise my children to be polite and courteous is to model it myself. I try....

Busy day on Saturday. The weather was so beautiful that I was able to get 3 loads dried on the line for which I am thankful. It was too nice to stay indoors so I headed outdoors and got the runner beans, mangetout, tomatoes, cosmos, sweet corn and rudbeckia planted. The toddler got involved with planting the runner bean seeds which was just delightful. I repotted the first batch of cosmos and moved seed trays and plants to the allotment greenhouse. It's looking nicely full in there at the moment!! The lawn got mowed then baking for the tins done. This week was chocolate brownies, rock buns and vanilla muffins.

I walked the full length of the allotment today and checked on the soft fruit. The blackcurrants and gooseberries are in flower and the jostaberry continues to amaze me with its size each year.

Pay day tomorrow...lots of expenses coming up in the next few months so hoping to have as many NSDs as possible. I need to consider and plan for:-

Remaining 2 school camp fees
    Uniform for one DD who starts secondary in Sept.
    Overnight cost of staying near DD1 when collecting her from uni in June.
    My dad's 70th birthday.
    Cost of license for DS1.

I did get chance to speak with the ex on Saturday and able to make it clear that while I could budget to help with the cost of the license, I couldn't pay for a moped between now and August. I suggested the use of FIL's money and he said maybe.
  • louby40
    Options
    Hoping your son hears something about the job.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback