We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Keeping hens and ducks chat.

Comments

• CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Edwink and Dizzy,

I am so very sorry for your losses xx

May they always feel the sunshine on their wings xx
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • Dear Duzzy and Edwink
    So sorry to hear your both suffering. Our girls are so precious to us. You gave them a warm, loving and peaceful retirement, and they were cherished.xxx
    #138 - The "Save 12k in 2017" challenge :j
    #019 - The “Save 12k in 2018” challenge
  • CAFCGirl
    How are we all doing?

We decided to move Cluckingham Palace to a new location in the garden so we could reclaim the lawn. It also gave me the opportunity to clear out the 'deep litter' of winter..... geez the smell! LOL

The chickens seem a lot happier now its been moved. Still gets lots of sunshine all day, but is more sheltered from the winds (which they were not enjoying). Husband happier that the 'lawn' is back but it might take a fair bit of TLC
  • ali-t
    ali-t Posts: 3,815 Forumite
    ours are generally ok and egg production is high but we have had one sick one for a week. she was in the house for a few days and perked up but then deteriorated when we put her back in the enclosure with the others so she came back in the house today for more pampering but doesn't look like good news.
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
  • edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Sorry you have a poorly hen ali-t. I can see some serious pampering going on in your house now, bless her. Is she eating and drinking? I have had the same happen to me that when I put one of my girls back out after she picked up health wise I had to bring her back indoors with us because she went down hill again. Is she a rescue girl ali?

CAFCGirl all ok here thank you. Hubby has been looking after them as I have just come out of hospital. Four hours in surgery and twenty stitches later I am extremely sore. Walked up the garden yesterday to give them some greens, kale and celery and all 17 and the Cockerel come charging down the garden path knowing I had something nice treat wise to give them. Whilst they were eating that I sneaked back down to the ducks and managed to give them at least 3/4 of their cucumber before one of the hens then more of them spotted it. So in the end they only snatched a 1/4 of the ducks treat.

My hens are complete and utter hooligans so much so that the ducks run away from them. I have 2 Aylesbury big white ducks which are 3 to 4 times bigger than a hen but the male and his Aylesbury duck wife run away from them. My Cayuga black ducks are about 2 to 3 times bigger and they do run away sometimes but do stand their ground at other times. My little Indian runner doesn't take any notice of them and just barges through the middle of them being about 8 inches taller than them helps. Oh I could cuddle them all in one big hug if I were able to.

Hope everyone else is ok and that your hens are behaving themselves.

Edwink x
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • Hello all, sending hugs to everyone who has poorly hens.
    We're all fine at the moment, enjoying the sunshine and the bugs.
    Spring has very much arrived in Surrey.
    Mine are hooligans too, they chase the cat down the path if he so much as wanders within a foot of them.
    I hope your ok Edwink and resting well.xxxx
    #138 - The "Save 12k in 2017" challenge :j
    #019 - The “Save 12k in 2018” challenge
  • ali-t
    Hi Edwink, hope you are recovering well. She isn't a rescue but was a 'last turkey in sainsburys' type hen as the person we buy food from was getting rid of all his hens and he had 4 left so we took them at a bargain price so they could live out their lives in luxury. She is very quiet but it looks like Khloe Kardashi-hen is on her way out. At least she has had a fab life with lots of sunbathing and fruit and veg. She is only about a year old - poor wee thing.
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
  • edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 27 March 2017 at 9:43PM
    Aww thank you for your best wishes ladies and yes I am resting well. I could sit all day watching and helping my girls dust bathe I really could but with an uncovered scar behind my ear I dare not sit with them so watch them out of the kitchen door. I have to be a bit careful around my hens with my balance but so far over the years I have only ever tripped over 2 of them and fell over so not complaining. Hens are known to peck anything that is red so if I got down to their level my little red swollen ear definitely would not survive. I looked at one of my hens once and said to her face something along the lines of "hello you how are you today" then and I am not joking she pecked me right in the corner of my right eye. First and last time I shall get that close with my face. Mine often sit on my shoulder but I don't think my ear would survive that either at the moment. Anyway it hurts enough as it is already without them pecking at it. One of my favourite things in world is standing and looking down at my hens looking up at me as if to say "so c'mon mummy what have you got in your coat pocket for us today?". Their little funny faces are so comical.

And to think I was terrified of birds and anything that springs to mind that flies or flaps their wings. OMG I used to be so scared. :rotfl: Seems funny now but it certainly wasn't at the time I must say.
    Thanks for posting everyone :smileyhea
    Edwink
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • ali-t
    We lost khloe kardashi-hen this morning. Poor we thing.
  • CAFCGirl
    oh Ali-t I'm so sorry to hear that....

Roost in peace Khloe Kardashi-Hen xx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income