Revolut disaster

Thought after looking on MSE that Revolut would be a good way of making sure our cash was safe while abroad. Downloaded the app, set up account and topped up £10, then it started asking for me to verfiy who i was. Wasnt happy about photographing drivers licence and sending that but did it any way, that wasnt enough they then wanted video and voice files sending, which is complete overkill on the verification process so decided not to do it. Now i find they have still taken the £10 and trying to contact them via their chat in the app is a nightmare, been waiting four hours now for a reply. Have seen people have waited days for a chat reply. I know £10 is probably not a lot to loose for some people but this verification process should be listed on your MSE website to warn people before they top up. have seen on your forums that there are other complaints about this company but you are still recommending it

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    boopig wrote: »
    Thought after looking on MSE that Revolut would be a good way of making sure our cash was safe while abroad. Downloaded the app, set up account and topped up £10, then it started asking for me to verfiy who i was. Wasnt happy about photographing drivers licence and sending that but did it any way, that wasnt enough they then wanted video and voice files sending, which is complete overkill on the verification process so decided not to do it. Now i find they have still taken the £10 and trying to contact them via their chat in the app is a nightmare, been waiting four hours now for a reply. Have seen people have waited days for a chat reply. I know £10 is probably not a lot to loose for some people but this verification process should be listed on your MSE website to warn people before they top up. have seen on your forums that there are other complaints about this company but you are still recommending it

Or just do the video, spend your £10 on what you wish and be on your merry way.
  • PRAISETHESUN
    PRAISETHESUN Posts: 3,707 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Of course you are going to have problems if you don't want to verify yourself... if you want to use their service you are going to have to agree to their terms.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Is it really any worse than having to go into a branch to be verified for those banks that have branches?
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Worst case scenario - you've lost £10. I think "disaster" might be stretching it a bit.
  • OceanSound
    OceanSound Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 10 October 2018 at 6:38AM
    Now i find they have still taken the £10 and trying to contact them via their chat in the app is a nightmare, been waiting four hours now for a reply. Have seen people have waited days for a chat reply.
    Oh! Dear.
    You've done the right thing in warning others. Revolut lost my custom soon after they asked me for selfie with passport held next to face. (Unfortunately, it wasn't stated in the terms, so I could not agree to it). They are masters at 'making it up as they go along'.
    I know £10 is probably not a lot to loose for some people but this verification process should be listed on your MSE website to warn people before they top up.
    Actually, most posters here, calculate everything down to the penny.:) So any word to the contrary would be inauthentic.

Anyway, aside from access to the £10, think about the productivity (time) you've lost trying to contact their support. I had similar woes with Revolut (when I was a customer). Actually, having similar woes with the support team of meetcleo.com. Some fintech's seem to be overly focused on growing customer base without putting much attention to customer support. Revolut excels in this.
    Wasn't happy about photographing drivers licence and sending that but did it any way,..
    There's your first error. If something doesn't feel right. Don't do it. Always listen to your inner voice.
    I know £10 is probably not a lot to loose for some people but this verification process should be listed on your MSE website to warn people before they top up.
    MSE gets round this slight inconvenience by putting a small disclaimer (small print) at the bottom of the website to say 'none of the services we recommend have been tested by us, so we cannot guarantee anything'. By putting this they rid themselves of any legal (and reputational?) consequences.

Even regular posters like Valiantson have often criticized the MSE practice (in his case to do with open banking). I personally find it ironic that a business which prides itself in protecting the consumer, would lose this aim soon as the big bucks are dangled in front of their eyes. Seems to have happened after Martin left it in the ‘capable’ hands of moneysupermarket.

Anyway, moving forward, what you can do is ask to speak to a compliance manager (or manager of any kind) and request the funds are refunded back to source immediately. (that's what I did and funds were back in my bank account same day).

BTW, I know what you mean when you say 'disaster'. (I've been in the same shoes, so have a good idea).
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I've been using Revolut since it launched. I followed the verification process no probs (same too with Monzo and Starling), some people just aren't cut out for the 21st century.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker

Admittedly some time ago but when I applied, photo evidence and selfie photo and video was only required when the Revolut service was upgraded to higher limits. The only reason I didn't do that was that at that time Revolut did not provide a secure method of transmission of such ID documents and rather remarkably requested it to be sent by insecure email.

What makes me suspicious is not however financial services doing what they say they will do in the event of ID requirements. What makes me suspicious is the escalation of ID proof as I experienced with Monese. i.e. we provide what they ask for and they they want more. With Monese I reached the point of having to produce employment details and pay slips and if I did that I fully expected to have to produce a bank statement. It was at the point of employment details and pay slips that I cancelled my application to Monese!

Lastly, we should note that financial services, even pre-paid services by law have to verify identity but we should also note there is a borderline beyond which further Id is not necessary and is rather suspiciously data mining!
  • OceanSound
    OceanSound Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 11 October 2018 at 6:16AM
    I've had/have accounts with Starling, monzo, monese. Never had any issues with ID verification.
    Seems all these people on here complaining about Revolut are inept for the 21st century :wink:

Have a look at:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5249833&highlight=fineco&page=58#1141
    Revolut has NO customer support desk. No IT response team. No facility for getting in touch urgently by telephone or email so as to trigger a Support Ticket. Nothing. Instead, it has a. . .'Community Forum'. How twee.
    MSE carrying on though with its unqualified recommendation of Revolut -- because I certainly haven't read of anything to the contrary -- strikes me as another matter altogether.:(
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    OceanSound wrote: »
    Actually, most posters here, calculate everything down to the penny.:)

Indeed. Pedantry rules OK!
    Wasnt happy about photographing drivers licence

In this country, at least, it's a "Driving Licence"
  • obay
    obay Posts: 570 Forumite
    I use revolut a lot.. it's a very good bank.. I'd recommend, them very good for trading currency and spending abroad, which I did.
    [STRIKE]1/12/16 - £152,599.00 [/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]11/11/17 - £145,990.00 [/STRIKE] <> Overpaid £3916.
    11/11/18 - £142,074.00
    Barclays Car (5.99%)£0/£8,832.37
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family