Going from iOS 10 to iOS 12 (iPhone 6S)?

I've heard that iOS 12 "can" improve battery life for older phones which got my initial attention.

I'm not a big fan of the look of iOS 11 to be honest and i know iOS 12 is obviously more like iOS11 than it is iOS10 so i'd lose out that way.

I'm just wondering if overall it's worth taking the 'upgrade' from iOS 10 and if so what are your reasonings? I'm currently on 10.3.1.

I was going to wait on 12.1 coming out (or 12.0.1 or however they're going to call the next version) before i asked this question but they're taking longer than i thought so i'm asking now.

Comments

• datostar
    datostar Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I've got an iPhone 6+ now running IOS12. It's altogether faster and smoother than it was with IOS11 and I haven't noticed any difference with battery performance. I'd say it was altogether better.
  • I went from IOS 10 to 12 for my 6S. I think battery life got worse - I was having to charge 2-3 times a day. I did a battery health check and it said it needed replacing. Apple store replaced it for £25. Worth doing.
  • I was going to wait on 12.1 coming out (or 12.0.1 or however they're going to call the next version) before i asked this question but they're taking longer than i thought so i'm asking now.

12.0.1 is available now
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    d0nkeyk0ng wrote: »
    I went from IOS 10 to 12 for my 6S. I think battery life got worse - I was having to charge 2-3 times a day. I did a battery health check and it said it needed replacing. Apple store replaced it for £25. Worth doing.

I went from iOS 10 straight to 12 on my 5s, having avoided 11 because of all of the reports about how slow it was. I have been impressed by 12, particularly considering it is on the oldest device it supports.

I am not a heavy user by any means and my battery is still the original and well past its best. I had many background features turned off when running iOS 10 in order to conserve the battery. Upgrading to 12 seemed to turn some of these on again. However once I changes these settings back the battery life seems as good (or bad!) as before.

To be honest, given how well it runs iOS 12 I may well treat it to a new battery!
  • Morbier
    Morbier Posts: 636 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I've got an iPhone 6S and haven't had any problems - not with iOS 11 nor with iOS 12. I'm not a heavy user and have background features turned off. My battery's the original and seems OK.
    I can't imagine a life without cheese. (Nigel Slater)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure