Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gravers007
    • By gravers007 29th Jun 18, 1:46 PM
    • 21Posts
    • 3Thanks
    gravers007
    Car insurance - No Claims Discount
    • 29th Jun 18, 1:46 PM
    Car insurance - No Claims Discount 29th Jun 18 at 1:46 PM
    Really stumped in finding details on this so hopefully you can help.

I previously leased a car (Car A) for 2 years which went back in Sept 2017. In the lead up to that date I bought another car (Car B) in June 2017. So for a period of 4 months I had 2 cars.

By the time i had returned Car A to the lease company i had 2 years no claims on it.

I've recently renewed Car B's insurance and assumed that I could use the 2 years NCD I had accrued on Car A, as well as the 1 year I had just completed on Car B, for a total of 3 years No Claims Discount.

The new insurer on Car B have now said that I cannot pool the No Claims earned on two different vehicles onto 1 car. Apparently it is a practice known as "clubbing" and is an industry standard. I've tried searching the internet for details on this definition but can't find anything!

Q1. Is what they've told me accurate, and what they've done is standard industry practice?

Q2. If they are correct and clubbing is not allowed - can I use the 2 years NCD I earned on Car A or do I have to use the 1 year I earned on Car B?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Page 1
    • rs65
    • By rs65 29th Jun 18, 2:59 PM
    • 5,358 Posts
    • 2,557 Thanks
    rs65
    • 29th Jun 18, 2:59 PM
    • 29th Jun 18, 2:59 PM
    Not heard it called clubbing but quite normal.
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 29th Jun 18, 5:49 PM
    • 2,526 Posts
    • 2,549 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    • 29th Jun 18, 5:49 PM
    • 29th Jun 18, 5:49 PM
    Q1. Is what they've told me accurate, and what they've done is standard industry practice?
    Originally posted by gravers007
    Yes. You can only use the no claims from one policy. So you have to pick which one. If you get a second car within the next two years then you can use the no claims from the other policy on that, but after two years you will lose that year's no claims.

Q2. If they are correct and clubbing is not allowed - can I use the 2 years NCD I earned on Car A or do I have to use the 1 year I earned on Car B?
    Originally posted by gravers007
    As long as you have proof of the two years no claims then, yes, you can use that.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,007Posts Today

6,931Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Channel 4 really screwed up not doing this on the Tory leaders debate last night, just think of the ratings... https://t.co/eYYfAYGdck

• Teacher/head in a London(ish) senior school? I want film a 1hr ish talk to 16-18 yr olds on student finance (to put? https://t.co/dSsSp1UVDF

• RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• Follow Martin