HMRC Letter of late penalty for self assessment

mimiduck
mimiduck Posts: 194 Forumite
edited 19 June 2019 at 7:26PM in Cutting tax
Hi

I'm not really savvy with self employment, but basically last tax year i did not have any self employment, just the usual employment so i did not fill in the self assessment. I have now received a letter from HMRC saying that my tax return is more than three months late.

I'm a bit panicky now as i tried logging onto my self assestment account and they are saying i owe £100. I really wasnt aware that i would need to tell HMRC if i dont have any tax! I have been employed now for over a year. I read some horror stories online and a bit panicky now that HMRC would not retract their penalty, could someone please advise?

Comments

• BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    So what was the actual date you stopped being self-employed? If after 5 April 2018 you still need to complete a Tax Return.

If before 5 April 2018 did you put the date you stopped being self employed on the Return?

What date were your last accounts made up to?
  • mimiduck
    mimiduck Posts: 194 Forumite
    thanks for the reply. I stopped self employment before 5th April 2018. I really didnt know I needed to put a date, i just didnt file a form. I will call HMRC tomorrow and see what they say..
  • 01afraser4
    01afraser4 Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I think there is maybe some confusion regarding the dates here.

If you have received a Late Filing Penalty then this will likely relate to the 2017-2018 Tax Year as this would have been due to be filed by 31st January 2019 online.

So, the question would actually be: Were you trading as a Self Employed person at any point between 6 April 2017 and 5 April 2018?

If yes, then you should have completed a Tax Return and the penalty will have been applied correctly.

If no, then you may be able to have HMRC withdraw the return and remove the penalty if you have no other SA criteria in that year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure